"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #1391
Head Chef

Your children are at that impressionable age that mine went through. I learned very quickly to watch TV with them. Cartoons (and especially cartoons) and Disney are chunked full of "slap stick" where no one gets hurt. And then there are commericals. I remember a commercial where Big Brother (BB) is taunting Little Brother (LB). BB is in the shower and LB flushes the toilet in revenge. We watched a cartoon where Deputy Dog was flying a helicopter and the bad guy handed him a pair of head phones with an ice pike in each ear piece. The problem with the props is that they are common household things. What child in the Midwest does not own a pair of winter ear muffies? And how easy is it to find a toy screw driver or pointed lego to put in the ear muffies? They can easily assemble a pair within minutes! You have to reason a lot of these things out for kids.....and Home Alone was a major event in our house! The bottom line is, if you don't have time to watch TV with kids then they should not be watching it without you. I am a firm believer that TV is not a babysitter. I remember watching a talk show where a parent was being interviewed in regard to her child's death. He had hung himself by a piece of rope or clothing from the top of the door or his bunk bed. He and his brother had just seen it on TV. It was funny and they decided to do it. Their mother was in a nearby room folding laundry.

You apparently have a thick shower curtain around your tub and now all you need is a bathroom fan. Spend time with your kids, after all, it's a temporary job. How will they learn to handle all the big stuff?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #1392
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
Oh I feel bad about my 'vent'.

Compared to yours and Lulus it's absolute peanuts isn't it?
I am sorry. I didn't realize that I was being so rude. Please accept my apology. I am glad that you said something. I think about how hard it is to clean a car inside and out. And it is an exhausting job. I would not want a job detailing cars for anything. My feelings about your situation of not feeling fully rewarded for a job emaculately completed: How would you feel if someone suddenly done all the things that you put off, procrastinate over, and have every intention to do? Your Mr. csalt will recover sooner the more he is needed to fulfill all these things. The less he is needed, the more he will resent the things you do that are his to do.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #1393
Everymom

csalt, I don't think anyone found any of your posts rude. You are always brimming with kindness to others.

Oops. I meant STIRBLUE!!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #1394
Executive Chef

I never find the posts rude. People are going through such trying and hard times these days that sometimes we react because of our own thin skins. I can't think of a soul on here who would hurt someone, especially when they are feeling down.

I know I'm exhausted. Mr HB and I have had a very difficult few years and finally we're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. It's a pin point, but it's light.

I can only be happy because we didn't have to go through this tough time with children. My heart aches for those of you with hard problems who also have to worry about your babies, children and teenagers. I am so sorry and I will pray for your difficulties to go away. Life can be hard.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #1395
Head Chef

No one is rude, we all know if we are posting here the other people reading are in extremis or at the end of tethers or just having a bad day. We understand how it goes, and all gripes are best posted here than sat on, big or small.

My dearest wishes to everybody this weekend.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #1396
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
csalt, I don't think anyone found any of your posts rude. You are always brimming with kindness to others.
I was apologizing to csalt because I did not address her post. I felt so awful when she replied about the peanuts. Again I feel thoughtless and inconsiderate.....shame on me!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #1397
Head Chef

Life is tough, if friends can't acept a miscommunicastion it would be tougher.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #1398
Chef Extraordinaire

csalt, Stirblue,
I've never found either of you to post anything rude. I find you both to be honest, kind, helpfull to others..Just keep on being you. It's a treat to chat with both of you.

kadesma
Old 04-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #1399
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Care for you all, everyone needs to vent at times big or small, letting it out and sharing helps !
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #1400
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I was apologizing to csalt because I did not address her post. I felt so awful when she replied about the peanuts. Again I feel thoughtless and inconsiderate.....shame on me!
Stir Blue..there was absolutely no need to apologise for anything! You just helped me to realise that I was being pretty petty ( one of my virtues! )
What I love about DC is it's honesty but it's total kindness.