Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I took on a really simple job today - a two layer round shower cake.....and the bride's grandmother (my client) even baked the cake, plus I had tons of frosting left over from DD's wedding cake on Tuesday. Simple eh? Make a berry filling, frost and decorate.

The cake went together perfectly up until I started decorating. The frosting was too fluffy so I thickened it. I tinted the first batch red and did all the borders...no problem. Then I tinted the next batch green for the writing but it was too thick for the tiny writing tip. I had to redo the top of the cake 3 times because I had the icing too thick or too thin. Finally I tinted some piping gel instead and it was going fine...until the tip came off and blasted the cake with gel. Cleaned that up, redid it again, no problem. Tried to do some scroll designs in green but it was too thin and looked awful so I got rid of that. I made little red flowers with green leaves and stems and a few hearts out of gel. As I was putting the complete cake in the fridge I stuck my finger into the side of it.

Okay, cake is done, client has come, paid, taken it and gone. Now the clean up. I am doing really great and am throwing the used piping bags away into the too full garbage can and push down hard....my thumb hits a can lid that I don't see and I get a nasty cut that won't stop bleeding. I fix that up and go on cleaning. I put the excess frostings and filling in containers and drop the filling one on the floor busting it wide open. Sticky filling all over the place. Clean that up and finish filling the dishwasher. Turn that on only to find border in the shower so have to turn it off again.

Have changed bandage three times and my right hip has bee acting up all day - realize when taking afternoon meds that I took them in the morning so didn't get full doses. So, took morning pills but too late for the anti-inflamatory to kick in.

So, called DH to say he is picking up chicken and fixings for dinner as I am now laying on the bed barely able to type this.

Note to self - never take on those "simple two hour" jobs!!!!!!

my lord, crawl in bed and cover your head. the stars are definitely not lined up for you today. babe

My day just continues with my chicken dinner. I looked in the bag and the gravy containers were kind of crooked in the bag. I took one out, and there is gravy all over the sides. Then I picked up one of the containers of potatoes and they all fell right out of the bottom of the container, into the bag. Fortunately James had already told me that I could have his potatoes for later. I wonder if they will stay in their container.

:(Barbara

Barbara, my chicken dinner fared okay. Only thing is DH got enough food for two armies! Oh well, when the kids get home from work they will be hungry and I can put it in lunches tomorrow so I don't have to make sandwiches.

BTW, I will share a hole with you and a bucket of KFC any day! We can comiserate over our aches, pains, etc. while we munch!

oh oh oh oh oh me me me me I want extra crispy!! But since you don't have mac and cheese or green beans in the great white north I will have to bring those along!

Barbara, my chicken dinner fared okay. Only thing is DH got enough food for two armies! Oh well, when the kids get home from work they will be hungry and I can put it in lunches tomorrow so I don't have to make sandwiches.

BTW, I will share a hole with you and a bucket of KFC any day! We can comiserate over our aches, pains, etc. while we munch!
Sounds good!

It turned out the second thing of potatoes was missing the bottom also, but I managed to get them out and onto a plate. I think James smashed some groceries against the bag. So far that is all I have eaten. I'm hurting a little and need to take some Tylenol. Thank goodness the pain isn't too bad because I am out of Hydrocodone. Tylenol and a hot bath has been taking care of it so far this week.

:)Barbara

Here's something interesting (to me anyway) that goes along with what I wrote a few days ago. I have strongly suspected for a few years that I have adult ADD or ADHD. I took a test online a few years ago and I had most of the signs. I found another one today. It is a shorter version of one that is supposedly used by doctors. It said that 11 or more points is consistant with adult ADD/ADHD. I scored 16. Also, in the book about organization for "messies" it says that depression (which I am sure I have had for a little while--mild) often goes hand-in-hand with ADD/ADHD. I am going to print up all my results and copy that section of the book and send them to my doctor before we go, so she has time to look it all over. I think she thought I wasn't really concerned (maybe because I didn't act concerned? lol) so she just made a little notation and kind of let it go. I read something else as I did my research. James (who was diagnosed as a kid with ADHD) and I have a bad habit of interrupting each other. We are worried we will forget what we want to say if we don't say it right then (and usually do). Interrupting is one of the signs of ADD/ADHD. Very interesting.

hey, I know that i have adult Add and my son does, too......luckily for us we're able to compensate for it.......I can't take verbal instructions.........I need to write it down.......not a big deal........son is a cop and is coping quite well, too................the fact that he is able to move around is a big advantage in itself...you do adust.....it's not a big deal........at least for us

we're going downtown, jake won't accept that parking is absurd. there's an arts festival & he expects to park at a garage. i wanted to bus my way there; maybe i will to avoid his yelling when he can't park.
i'm stressed.

we're going downtown, jake won't accept that parking is absurd. there's an arts festival & he expects to park at a garage. i wanted to bus my way there; maybe i will to avoid his yelling when he can't park.
i'm stressed.
If it was tonight, this is too late, but you could compromise. Drive near the vacinity, parking near a bus line, then take the bus the rest of the way. That way you avoid a long bus ride and parking hassles.

hey, I know that i have adult Add and my son does, too......luckily for us we're able to compensate for it.......I can't take verbal instructions.........I need to write it down.......not a big deal........son is a cop and is coping quite well, too................the fact that he is able to move around is a big advantage in itself...you do adust.....it's not a big deal........at least for us
Interesting, I also cannot take verbal instructions. I always thought I would remember, but then I didn't. I remember once when my mom sent me to the store to buy something. The store was just a few blocks from us (I was around 12 or 13). By the time I got there I couldn't remember what I was supposed to buy, and I think it was only one or two things!

Normally I can function okay with this, but I think it is working together with depression, making it worse. I am doing much better than I was several months ago though. And reading the book I am reading (the one about "messies"--I had put it down for a few weeks but am now reading it again) has helped a lot because I am seeing that there are a lot of people in the same place I am when it comes to cleaning the house, organizing, and getting things done. Or rather, not cleaning the house, not getting organized, and not getting things done.

Barbara, I am glad your book is helping you. When it comes to my kitchen and my business I have to have things spotless and will not settle for less. But when it comes to everything else I am a hopeless messy. When I realized and accepted this and was able to accept help from a friend (I actually paid her to organize me because she is OCD and is an incredible organizer) things started to get better. She taught me tricks to keeping things under control when I couldn't. I hope your book helps you....it is cheaper!!!! :)

The moral of the story must be that messies need to have OCD friends! My OCD friend (my best bud!) helped me with some organizing and cleaning a couple years ago. Unfortunately we have so litte storage here that it was't long before it started again (not to mention my husband is a messie too). I am confident that things will get better.

My vent for today is, STUPID KIDNEY STONES!!!!!!!!! I figured if I yelled at them they might take the hint. I had been having fairly mild kidney stone pain throughout the week. Tylenol and hot baths were enough to ease the pain. I knew what was coming though, and I prayed it wouldn't happen. Thank goodness that for the most part the really bad pain didn't hit earlier yesterday or it could have been really horrible. (I had a couple very sharp stabbing pains on the way to Columbia in the morning). Yesterday was James's last official day of school (they can go next week to finish any projects, and James will go). For his last day they allowed me to go with him. I was only allowed to stay in class until their break time, then I had to go to a lounge area. I enjoyed meeting his teacher and his fellow trainees. In the lounge area I checked my email and DC on my laptop, and I read a little. They let me eat lunch in the cafeteria with James, then since all but two other students were gone, I went back to James's class with him. He worked on his class project, and I worked on my laptop. That was when the pain started to get bad. I was able to hide it pretty well until the two others left, but then it started to get unbearable. James wrapped things up as quickly as he could and we went back to his dorm room. While he changed clothes I lay in his bed crying, moaing, and groaning. In the car I tilted my seat at an angle that was the least uncomfortable, turned on the seat warmer, and I finally started to feel better and was able to fall asleep (I hadn't been able to sleep the night before, so I needed it anyway). The seat warmer and nap helped a lot and I felt much better the rest of the day. (Edited to add, make that the seat warmer, nap, and 3 extra strength Tylenols helped! LOL).

I had hoped (though did not expect) to be pain free today. No such luck, but it seems to be easing again now.

:huh:Barbara

Last edited:
Barbara, I can't believe how our lives seem to be parallel. ADD/OCD friends/pain/KFC/and that awful kidney pain!! I don't have it now but have on many occasions and it ain't fun. Will be praying for you big time!

venting about the weather. we have way to much of it. 104 here now. another record breakers.

am sick of heat.keeps me from baking or doing much of anything. i have air conditioner on . and fans everywhere. it is still to hot in house.

did not cool off much last night. more of the same tomorrow.

sure glad i am not at the fair. all that cement and heat. would make me sick.

very low humidity, creating a severe fire hazard. we have been here before with a very bad scene.

send some cooler weather , ok?

babe:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Last edited:
After a horrible week at work .. 14 hours a day for most of them ..
fixing other peoples mistakes .. my a/c decided to stop working
today .. and my HVAC guy .. that i can get to fix for pretty much
nothing .. is out of town till monday .. ahhhhh perfect ..

After a horrible week at work .. 14 hours a day for most of them ..
fixing other peoples mistakes .. my a/c decided to stop working
today .. and my HVAC guy .. that i can get to fix for pretty much
nothing .. is out of town till monday .. ahhhhh perfect ..

so sorry to hear that. makes u miserable i know. last heat wave here, the power was off for two days. i was so hot, was ready to kill.

does it cool off there at night? we are in middle of another heat wave. 97 now at 7pm. super glad air is working.

hope it is not too bad for you.

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

actually babe .. its not as hot as it could be ...
went out and got a couple window units ..
problem is .. just now able to open the windows because
of wild fires ..
resisting the temptation to call a HVAC company in ..

actually babe .. its not as hot as it could be ...
went out and got a couple window units ..
problem is .. just now able to open the windows because
of wild fires ..
resisting the temptation to call a HVAC company in ..

oh my gosh wild fires are so scary. we had big time fires last year. holding our breath this time.

haven't seen the news today, so didn't know about fires in va. or here for that matter.

babe:dry::dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom