"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #1431
Head Chef

Thank you csalt. Since I really do not know their church policies, I guess it might make an imposition on her. She has just been in this relationship so long that I don't think she knows what to do with herself. She does have a church friend who she always gives a ride to church. Thank you for letting me know that I was doing something for her since I was feeling so helpless.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #1432
Master Chef

jake's getting a can of alpo as his dinner tonite, cause he's gonna be moping his way towards his doghouse.
his Mom just rang me from florida cause his work left her a message 'bout his not showing & they were worried.
he failed to mention that he'd quit-without notice to them-to me.
he got another job with wages he prefers, 'cept what if he wants to work with his former employer again if his new job doesn't work out as he expects.
he's too impulsive.
his choice, though, not mine. so.......

Old 05-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #1433
Head Chef

I hope that Alpo is not on the dog food recall list. But then I am sure that you checked it. Of course you may not even have a recall list!

If someone is calling about his no show then he must have been a valued employee. His new job may offer him more financial comfort and some room to advance. Maybe he can enroll at the community college to take a class or workshop that would give him a career of choice. He would also be getting a counselor to help him make these tough decisions. Just a class in computers might make him feel worthy enough to launch a motive for a better and more stable career. If he has to humble himself and apologize to his former employer and ask for a job, it would not be the end of the world but he does have to consider his job references. Trying to better yourself should bring about good things. Your concern for him is very genuine and I respect your concern.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #1434
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
SB ..I think talking to the Pastor would be a very good idea, but do it with your friend's permission. It is the role of the Church ( or rather the people who are the Church) to come to the aid of their fellow members. He/She may be able to organise some practical help.
I am so glad she has such a caring 'Listening Ear' in you
if person is depressed or close to it, I would talk to pastor without her permission. Depression is a very serious ilness and she may or may not realise how bad it is and will not give you permission to talk to anybody. Clergy is trained to a degree of course to deal with family problem. Do explain to him that you talked to him without her permision and that he shoould be very , mmm what's the word?, mmm darn, it's on a tip of my toungue and I can't say it. Not polite, not careful, grrr, help me out somebody, please. You know what I mean, darn what is it word? ..............
Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #1435
Chef Extraordinaire

diplomatic? discreet?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #1436
Sous Chef

Obviously we all have a different 'take' on this but from my point of view it would be wrong to do this without asking her first. If a friend of mine did that I would feel very betrayed.
SB is being a really staunch friend as it is .
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #1437
Head Chef

CharlieD: Thanks. One of the reasons that I am worried about her is that her mother was a horribly mean nasty and abusive person and got worse over the years. Anybody in their normal right mind would be kicking up their heels in joy to see her moving to the nursing home. But this lady is sort of bringing up all sorts of little concerns and maybe that was just the way things were for a long time, check in every move you make and have it judged. I take it that they have a leaky gas cooking stove and refuse to replace it. They have turned off the oven but still use the burners. She calls her mother to tell her that the house was gassy smelling and she turned off the outside valve to the stove. (???)
Maybe the mother will get preoccupied at the nursing home. But she may try ruling two thrones simultaneously.
It is a church night and I will talk with her again. Tomorrow, Thursday, is when her mother will be moved to the nursing home.

On your advice, I will keep the pastor's number handy and add some ER numbers for her home town as well.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #1438
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I hope that Alpo is not on the dog food recall list. But then I am sure that you checked it. Of course you may not even have a recall list!

If someone is calling about his no show then he must have been a valued employee. His new job may offer him more financial comfort and some room to advance. Maybe he can enroll at the community college to take a class or workshop that would give him a career of choice. He would also be getting a counselor to help him make these tough decisions. Just a class in computers might make him feel worthy enough to launch a motive for a better and more stable career. If he has to humble himself and apologize to his former employer and ask for a job, it would not be the end of the world but he does have to consider his job references. Trying to better yourself should bring about good things. Your concern for him is very genuine and I respect your concern.
they liked him at work.
jake is 30. he's attended college. 'cept we're minutes away from an excellent university that, if he worked security, he'd attend without $$$$$ & further his learning.
his rash descisions just get me to that point where i want to yell.
i'm thankful that you respect my concern.
thanks.
psssst.... we flipped 'bout those recalls, we've 2 felines we love dearly. canned food & treats, well..... trashcans- they can be lovely items.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #1439
Head Chef

My DH is tense, which is making me tense. Well, we are bith tense for the same reason. He is meant to find out today whether his Monday interview was succesful. He doubts he's going to be called: the two people who interviewed him are away today (same company different office, so he's seen on the intranet). Our life decisions depend on knowing the outcome of this, as does what I pack this weekend for a drive to UK. *sigh* we just wanna know.....
Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #1440
Executive Chef

I hate waiting to LuLu, hope you hear something soon!!