Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't learn to drive until I was good and married at age 20........cop said i was the best driver he had ever run into........yeah, well I read 2 driver's manuals and scared of the cars to begin with and my kids learned at an early age not to distract me.....one of the worst trips I ever encountered was a trip over Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana in pouring down rain.......it was the scariest ever.........

I didn't learn to drive until I was good and married at age 20........cop said i was the best driver he had ever run into........yeah, well I read 2 driver's manuals and scared of the cars to begin with and my kids learned at an early age not to distract me.....one of the worst trips I ever encountered was a trip over Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana in pouring down rain.......it was the scariest ever.........
You and me both. I learned at 17 but I already had my daughter and I was scared to death of having an accident and my child getting hurt. So I was, and still am, the most defensive driver you'll ever meet!

I got my learners permit at the age of 14. Spent the next two years with my dad teaching me how to drive. In Iowa you can also get a school and work permit at that age if you have good grades, but dad refused. Those two years he spent driving all over the countryside, blacktops, dirt roads, gravel roads, expressways. In the winter he took me out onto the ice and made me drive all over the lake. Taught me how to handle a car in winter and on ice.
At 16 I passed drivers ed with flying colors and got my license. Dad then promptly took it back. When I went to school, he handed it and the keys to me. When I came home from school, I handed it and the keys back to him. Same for work. At 17 he loosened up the reins a little and I got to drive more but mostly just during the summer. At 18 I got full privileges then went off to college.
Looking back, its not a bad way to do things...

me too..........being ADD you can't afford to be distracted at the wheel of a motorized vehicle either though I think that your brain switches to a higher gear as I've never been involved in an accident or gotten a moving violation ticket.......I'm an insurance company's dreamboat.............I have never been able to relax behind the wheel......I grip the steering wheel with two hands holding on tightly

Did it hurt??:angel:

This isn't new though. Back when I was a teenager two brothers (one who was dating my best friend and unfortunately, for her, married her a few years later), were playing chicken down one of the streets in my relatively small home town. It was big enough, however to have a bus system. As the travelled at high speeds up the street the bus was coming down it. My friend's intended wouldn't pull over soon or far enough for his brother to get over and the brother hit the bus head on and was killed instantly. Two elderly people on the bus were injured badly and the driver, who suffered some physical injuries as well, was never the same again emotionally and became an alcoholic. About 2 years later he committed suicide, never being able to get the accident off his mind. The living brother managed to stay alive for about 5 more years, marry my friend, have a daughter, divorce my friend and end up getting killed in a bar fight.

Wow, there has been a lot of activity on this thread since I was here last! I don't have time to respond to each and every one, but my heart is right there with all of you.

I'm still battling the stupid kidney stones tonight. Thanks for mentioning the heat wrap. That is a good idea. I take hot baths, but sometimes the heat wraps would be more practical. This coming weekend is our yearly church women's retreat, and I don't want to be in pain for that. I wish you all could be there! That would be so fun!

:)Barbara

I read thru this entire thread.......as for wondering which meds and over the counter and wine, etc, etc. you can or can't mix......your pharmacist is one of the best people you can ask for advice from and they'll be upfront and tell you to talk to your doctor if they have problems with recommendations but most questions can be answered by them.........you might wait a few minutes and I always thank them for picking up the phone and giving advice......it'll also be my local pharmacist who will place a warning on the bag and will stop me or one of my family members to be sure that know what the side effects are.......I'm probably one of the few people who do read those drug warning literature circulars and airplane safety tips on airlines.......wimpola grandiosa

Wow, there has been a lot of activity on this thread since I was here last! I don't have time to respond to each and every one, but my heart is right there with all of you.

I'm still battling the stupid kidney stones tonight. Thanks for mentioning the heat wrap. That is a good idea. I take hot baths, but sometimes the heat wraps would be more practical. This coming weekend is our yearly church women's retreat, and I don't want to be in pain for that. I wish you all could be there! That would be so fun!

I don't think they would let me in, and I don't look good enough to pass in a dress!
:huh::wacko::LOL::ROFLMAO:

But, our churches have retreats as well, this year DW has vowed to make the time to go to hers, and I have vowed to make mine.

I don't think they would let me in, and I don't look good enough to pass in a dress!
:huh::wacko::LOL::ROFLMAO:

But, our churches have retreats as well, this year DW has vowed to make the time to go to hers, and I have vowed to make mine.
You could hang out with the guard at the gate!

I hope you both do go to your retreats. I look forward to this every year. There will be more laughter and more tears than any other time of the year! Our retreat is at a wonderful place at the beach, at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. It was an old fort--Fort Caswell. So relaxing!

P.S. No way am I going to even bring a dress! You'd probably be the only one Buddy!

I would like to thank each of you that responded to my post! I know it's going to hurt for some time without my grandmother. I went through it when my Dad died almost 25 years ago and it still hurts. I just need to hold on to all the wonderful memories.
I do love my mother, it's just so hard to see her like this. It's only been the last four months that things have gone down hill for her. She had colon surgery for cancer in February and because of her age between the pain meds and anesthesia (sp?) she has been really bad and had to go into ***'t living. She Hates it there.

Barb

I would like to thank each of you that responded to my post! I know it's going to hurt for some time without my grandmother. I went through it when my Dad died almost 25 years ago and it still hurts. I just need to hold on to all the wonderful memories.
I can really relate because my grandmother was the member of my family that I connected with the most. I always felt so completely loved when I was with her. She was the first person I ever lost and it's been 33 years and I still miss her like crazy. It took several years before it became real to me because she was so much a part of my life. So let yourself grieve for as long as it takes. She must have been a very special woman.

It is an age thing. Sometimes he just goes and does not realize it. I dropped some of his food in his water and he drank all the water to get the food. So I knew this was coming. (My fault, but it still pees me off! :LOL:) Boots is around 15 or so years old and he is doing good for his age. The little dude in my avatar is Binks, my 5 year old Chihuahua. So what is this "fur babies" group you speak of??? How do I join?

One of my dogs is 13 years old. Blind, deaf, arthritis and gets acupuncture. He has started doing this and there are times when he does dump that if you don't see it you may step in it. Also it now looks like an adults business. I have been t old that beside the expense and work, I should do something about him. He seems to struggle to exist and doesn't want help if he can do it. He really is inspiration to the rest here except for the 'accidents. He used to hide and feel ashamed that he did something in the house but now he just does something and walks right by it. No shame at all. The one acupuncture doctor told me 'dogs just take life as a fact, nothing to be ashamed about ' I know you probably think I live in a real pig stye but no matter what you all think, I love this little life that has brought me joy for so long. His little heart is so big and he is doing the best he can. I hope I can just give him the life he so rightfully deserves. Sure was a comfort so often to me personally. I have tried diapers but there are days where he does make it outside and then that diaper pad has to be thrown away. So just count my blessings.

I have to take the dogs t o a kennel next month and worry that they will not have the right treatment. This old dog is not the easiest to take care of. Just hope he doesn't bark the entire time we're gone. He does that at the groomers and they sure do a quick job when he is there. Like the groomer told me, old dogs are expensive. I know she was trying to tell me something indirectly but I have to ignore innuendoes. They never lived with him for 13 years.
Thanks for your time.

in the kitchen, i totally understand your attatchment to your doggy. my 13 year old cat had two accidents on the carpet last week. i got really worried that things were going to start going down hill with her, but she seems fine this week. it really got me thinking how much i love her and how much i would be willing to spend at a vet for her. i hope your dog does well at the kennels!

in the kitchen,
i understand your love fer pets. they're precious. your doggy sounds like a sweetie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom