"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #1461
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I apologize to anyone I offended, that was not my intent. I simply stated my experience. Texasgirl and anyone else from Texas, I am sorry I offended you - that certainly was not my intent. TG especially, you know me well enough to know that I would never intentionally hurt you-I thought we were better friends than that.

Let me clarify something - my original post stated that my husband and parents are from San Antonio, they say ma'am because that was the way they were raised-no problem there. My original post indicated that what drives me bonkers is when they ma'am someone to death - In a one minute conversation ma'am can be said over 10 times - overkill - - it sounds fake - not genuine - almost robotic.

My second post stated that I was not offended by being called ma'am. In summary, it personally bugs me when someone repeatedly says "ma'am" after EVERY sentence in a conversation - respect or not, it is just down right annoying - and from the looks of our restaurant servers, I am not the only one who feels that way.

I hope this clarifies things. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #1462
Master Chef

Said my peace, brushing it off. I sometimes get a little ticked. Wording is everything sometimes. I have done it myself and realized to late. I just have to learn to let it go. Sorry for the drama, just got caught up in the anger that wasn't needed.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #1463
Sous Chef

Oh. you mean you acted like a normal human being? Good! that makes me feel better
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #1464
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
TG, again, my sincerest apologies-the last thing I would ever want to do it offend or hurt you or anyone on this forum. The problem with the computer is we cannot see facial expressions or hear a person's tone of voice or see body language. Again, I'm sorry.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #1465
Executive Chef

Texasgirl,I am with you I say ma'mm and sir all the time it's just a respectful way to address someone.If Im on Amtrak or any where I use these wether its the porter on the sleeper car or a waitress or my boss or anybody else I hafto address that is older than me.I get called ma'mm alot makes me not too happy as it reminds I also am getting older but Im fine with it.
When ever you meet a kid in the military it's always ma'mm or sir anywhere they are, the military teaches them to be this way(respectful)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #1466
Master Chef

shouldn't of brought that to a point. my sorry. ma'am isn't a common pennsylvanian term, where we live.- kinda unheard of. so i was shocked. stay with us! hugs, glad you brushed your anger away,
-luvs
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #1467
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
venting LOUDLY!!!
I had a dentist appointment today. Ya'll know how I HATE going to the dentist. This was to get a cavity filled in a wisdom tooth. They have to remove part of the gum since said tooth never popped all the way out. Well, I drove the 45 minutes there...waited the regular 20 minutes in the waiting room sat down in the chair and then...THEY DECIDED that they had schedualed my appointment with the hygentist NOT the dentist!!!! The dentist was booked solid for the whole day. Now I have to go back again. Maybe, I shouldn't be mad... but I am.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #1468
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, crap and a half, you should be angry. I certainly would be. Driving 45 minutes one way isn't cheap given how much gas costs these days. Plus, your time is worth something. Somebody dropped the ball and, sadly, you are the one who paid the price.

I'd call ahead next time to be sure they have their heads on straight.

In the words of Qsis, "That just vacuums!"
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #1469
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
venting LOUDLY!!!
I had a dentist appointment today. Ya'll know how I HATE going to the dentist. This was to get a cavity filled in a wisdom tooth. They have to remove part of the gum since said tooth never popped all the way out. Well, I drove the 45 minutes there...waited the regular 20 minutes in the waiting room sat down in the chair and then...THEY DECIDED that they had schedualed my appointment with the hygentist NOT the dentist!!!! The dentist was booked solid for the whole day. Now I have to go back again. Maybe, I shouldn't be mad... but I am.
yeah, and if you just don't show up for your appointment...how much do YOU have to pay?? so sorry pds!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #1470
Master Chef

i understand your frustration. you'll get through. after that, healthy shiny teeth! yours. luvs!

Closed Thread