"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 AM   #1591
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I know what you mean about DC withdrawl gourmande! I think a lot of us go through that! If you are traveling and are not able to go online, you can take notes about your travels to share with us when you get back "home" to DC!

Barbara

Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #1592
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
For any teachers out there please HELP!!!

I'm really bugged today because my daughter's ELA teacher is making the GT class read on the 6th grade level basal. The problem is that some of these kids are getting REALLY bored and not passing the quizzes and tests with the short stories in this book. These are kids with an 8th and 9th grade reading level and can achieve a lot more than a leveled reader. I used to give my GT 6th graders novels to read in class and come up with activities, analytical assignments and quizzes because they were very advanced readers to keep them on a leveled reader book. I would make sure to challenge these kids. I'm so tempted to go talk to her teacher but my daughter says I'd only be embarrassing her. My daughter doesn't seem very happy in her reading class this year and it saddens me because reading is her favorite subject. I'm worried. School aged moms, dads and teachers: What should I do?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #1593
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Let the teacher run the class and buy your daughter all the books she wants to read at home. : )
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #1594
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My first thought is to talk with your daughter about her class. You say she "seems" unhappy with her reading class. That is your perception and your concern as a parent and educator. Sit down with your daughter and discuss how the class is going and what she would like to get out of it. After you find out what she thinks, then you have a better idea of what to do.

I understand the "don't embarrass me, mom" part, but you might explain during your conversation how YOU feel and what your motivation is for speaking with her teacher.

Buck and I survived 5 children moving through all the grades and we had our moments.

I second pd's comments...give her all the books she can handle.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #1595
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
If you don’t want to embarrass your child, then cal the teacher on the phone and explain it. You can be anonymous that way, and it is a great first step. If more is required, then d@mn the embarrassment because education is key.

But I’m wondering. How much are you expecting? I mean to fully analyze a literary work with vast symbolism requires insights that come with experience. 8th and 9th graders simply do not have that sort of experience. Look to Hemmingway’s “A Clean well lighted place” for example. I don’t expect (and seriously hope) an 8th grader ”gets” that.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #1596
Everymom

Dina, I understand your plight. You don't want to embarrass Amanda, but you need to make sure she is getting a quality education. Is there a reporting period coming up when you would have a parent teacher interview scheduled anyway? You could bring it up then.

Your girl is bright enough that she can muddle through this. This might be a short lived thing for a particular unit or something. I'd give it some time and see how it all settles out. Talk to Amanda again and try to get clearer info, also let her know that because you are her advocate you need to be sure she is getting the right stuff to learn all she needs. She will understand that.

I also totally understand that you have to tread carefully so you don't shut down the lines of communication between you and your girl. I think you might want to decide how crucial a matter this is. Is it worth getting her all grumpy at you? I think if it were me, I'd let it ride a while longer and just keep it in mind for the next time I "happen" to meet up with the teacher for some other reason.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #1597
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you all very much. I'm going to wait a bit and not step on the teacher's toes at all. I'm hoping that these next 6 weeks she begins to introduce novels and more advanced and interested reading for the kids. I've asked my daughter to continue reading books of her liking to continue her interest in reading. The reporting period was up last Friday and she got a 97 in the class. I'll give it more time. Thank you all once more.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #1598
Master Chef

The saying goes, God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Well, I'm tired of being tested!!
My cousin now is being tested for colon cancer.
Lets see, my son was stabbed, husband had a cancer scare and we went broke from tests and he still can't eat his beloved brisket, my niece has caner and now my cousin is being checked, and my friend is going through dialysis, all in a year. Hmm, I'm tired now and getting depressed. Sorry, just venting. I'm at work and noone to talk to right now.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #1599
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
The saying goes, God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Well, I'm tired of being tested!!
My cousin now is being tested for colon cancer.
Lets see, my son was stabbed, husband had a cancer scare and we went broke from tests and he still can't eat his beloved brisket, my niece has caner and now my cousin is being checked, and my friend is going through dialysis, all in a year. Hmm, I'm tired now and getting depressed. Sorry, just venting. I'm at work and noone to talk to right now.
Hey you,
I know where you are and how you're feeling..I have those days too. But, does it help? do you feel better when you feel this way? NOPE to both questions? Smile, you are healthy, DH while he can't have brisket yet, is doing better, son has come through this, your loved ones who are facing the cancer need some strong shoulders now..You can lend them yours to lean on..There is nothing more loving than to just be there for them. I know if I write, you will answer, that is all I need, be glad you can give that to us. I am.
kadesma
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #1600
Chef Extraordinaire

(((((((((((((((((((((((kadesma)))))))))))))))))))) ))))

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Closed Thread