Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they tell you why you couldn't do it, anyway? I remember I went with my school very young and learnt about chameleons. I was amazed! :mrgreen: Although lately I've learnt they don't change colour to match their background... but that's off topic :mrgreen:

They just kept saying that the kids could go on their own time. I'm sure they knew as well as I did that most of them didn't. Some of the kids wanted to go but no one took them. I think the teachers just wanted to do more exciting trips. Personally, that would have been exciting to me.

:(Barbara

It did. I allowed the kids to take books from the classroom library home to read (I bought many of them myself), and I let them take things like glue or crayons home if they needed to work on a project. I also often gave the kids things like 8-packs of colored pencils for Christmas.

:huh:Barbara
P.S. I also gave a prize to everyone who showed me a library card the first month of school (it had to be their own), and I tried constantly to convince the other teachers that we should take a field trip to the library, but I was always shot down.
You are too kind Barb. I admire your compassion.

Well today I finally got ahold of the lady I met at WalMart asking for help for her son. I couldn't offer her a job to clean my house but did offer her some of my kids' school supplies that they didn't use last year. I also offered her some of my son's used clothes. She told me she hadn't been able to get him anything school supplies yet and on top, her boy needs a band shirt. Argh! With our tight budget now-a-days, I couldn't offer her money to get the shirt. She was glad to hear from me though and we're going to meet on Monday so I could give her the hand-me-downs.

Where I teach there is a large population of children from other countries with parents that do not speak English let alone read it. School is not a priority to some/most. It is used more as a daycare system. Some students have huge gaps in their education due to language. 2nd grade reading level is not uncommon for a 6th grade student. I work hard to teach, inspire and help them to develop of love of reading. It is my job. Sad but not all children have parents that support them in their studies. One of the things that bugs me is when a teacher requires work done on a computer. They have an easy answer which is to go to the public library. Not a simple solution since many have parents that don't drive, they live in the public housing across town. I see them shrink when the class is asked to raise their hand if they have a computer. This happened this past week in one of their specials (wood shop) and it broke my heart. Their homework was to search the computer for models of wooden cars. I will remain in school after hours to allow those who don't have one to use mine. Our school system does not provide computers for students. I may just have to intervene and allow them to use magazine pictures. Hate to step on a co-worker's toes but sometimes they just don't get it. Okay I just rambled on and on! Sorry.

You are too kind Barb. I admire your compassion.

Well today I finally got ahold of the lady I met at WalMart asking for help for her son. I couldn't offer her a job to clean my house but did offer her some of my kids' school supplies that they didn't use last year. I also offered her some of my son's used clothes. She told me she hadn't been able to get him anything school supplies yet and on top, her boy needs a band shirt. Argh! With our tight budget now-a-days, I couldn't offer her money to get the shirt. She was glad to hear from me though and we're going to meet on Monday so I could give her the hand-me-downs.

that's so kind of you, dina!!

Where I teach there is a large population of children from other countries with parents that do not speak English let alone read it. School is not a priority to some/most. It is used more as a daycare system. Some students have huge gaps in their education due to language. 2nd grade reading level is not uncommon for a 6th grade student. I work hard to teach, inspire and help them to develop of love of reading. It is my job. Sad but not all children have parents that support them in their studies. One of the things that bugs me is when a teacher requires work done on a computer. They have an easy answer which is to go to the public library. Not a simple solution since many have parents that don't drive, they live in the public housing across town. I see them shrink when the class is asked to raise their hand if they have a computer. This happened this past week in one of their specials (wood shop) and it broke my heart. Their homework was to search the computer for models of wooden cars. I will remain in school after hours to allow those who don't have one to use mine. Our school system does not provide computers for students. I may just have to intervene and allow them to use magazine pictures. Hate to step on a co-worker's toes but sometimes they just don't get it. Okay I just rambled on and on! Sorry.
Elaine,
Does your school have some sort of fundraisers to purchase stuff for the students? I know our school districts do a lot of those in order to get equipment for the students.

Wow, I have been out of touch on this thread for awhile. Barb, Dina and Elaine, I admire all of you for what you are doing to help the students.

My husband had his own computer sales/repair business for many years and would collect older computers from his clients who bought new ones from him. Then he would fix up the old ones and give them to families who needed them but couldn't afford one. We also used to let our neighbour's kids do their homework on one of ours (we also had an internet hosting business in our home and had an office with four computer stations in it).

Dina, I know you want to help this woman more than you can, but know that no matter how little it seems you can do, it is a lot more than others would and more than she had. I am sure she is very greatful for any help.

As for library tours, I remember being taken on a field trip to the big library in Vancouver (we lived in a small suburb) and thinking it was an amazing place. Of course that was many eons ago. We just had a new high school built in our neighbourhood that doesn't even have a library, only a computer room where students can do their homework but most of the kids admit they use it more to chat online and it goes unnoticed.

Hmm, I guess it is good news that this thread has been idle for a few days. Unfortunately I have to break that tonight. I just got back from the doctor....via a stop at the IV department of the hospital where I will be visiting every day at 7 am and 7 pm for the next 7 to 10 days. It seems I have a staff infection in my surgery site and they are worried that it may travel to the prosthetic joint which could cause rejection. We are not in panic mode yet because I have been on heavy anti-biotics for the past 7 days, but this means a lot of travelling and also sets back my physio and rehab back quite a bit. I was doing so well and all of a sudden started getting chills, fevers, throwing up and severe pain. I know it will all work out but I guess because of the way I am feeling I am taking it harder than normal. I just wanted this whole process to go so smoothly.

Oh Laurie,
My prayers go out to you. I hope you get rid of the infection and begin feeling better soon.

Hmm, I guess it is good news that this thread has been idle for a few days. Unfortunately I have to break that tonight. I just got back from the doctor....via a stop at the IV department of the hospital where I will be visiting every day at 7 am and 7 pm for the next 7 to 10 days. It seems I have a staff infection in my surgery site and they are worried that it may travel to the prosthetic joint which could cause rejection. We are not in panic mode yet because I have been on heavy anti-biotics for the past 7 days, but this means a lot of travelling and also sets back my physio and rehab back quite a bit. I was doing so well and all of a sudden started getting chills, fevers, throwing up and severe pain. I know it will all work out but I guess because of the way I am feeling I am taking it harder than normal. I just wanted this whole process to go so smoothly.

LP i am so sorry to hear this. keep your chin up and hope along with me, that you recover completely in a short amount of time. babe

Oh Laurie,
not something else to deal with...I'm sorry my friend..Wish I could be there to help..Please rest as much as you can and let those anti biotics do their job.
kades

Laurie when will this all finally end for you!?!
I'm so sorry.
Not to try to lighten you up too much, but you know me, I gotta.....
If you kicked your own knee would it learn to behave?
Just a thought.
:)

Sorry to hear that you have golden staph Laurie. I have had that two or three times and it isn't pleasant. They have always hospitalised me which I think makes it even more unpleasant! I am sure that they have caught it in time and the AB's will knock it on its head. Don't make yourself too warm at home as it just prolongs it. Fans, sheets, cool wet flannels are the go. (There are never enough blankets to make you warm!) It should break your fever quicker - well that was the thinking last time I had it. As Babe said, keep your chin up. We are behind you.

whoopsie......stahp aureus..........not a great thing to have.......please take good care of yourself and go to the doctors if it gets out of hand..........this is a mighty bug indeed.........I will be keeping you in my thoughts, Laurie

Thanks Everyone. I really appreciate all your support and prayers. I am off for my second round of antibiotic. I had another mostly sleepless night....I thought those were over with! Anyways, hopefully I can nap when I get home.

Laurie Laurie Laurie
what are we going to do with you? I think you need a spanking!!!!

Get better quickly!!!!

Awwww... Laurie!

Laurie.... wow. :huh: I had no idea you've been through so much... (I have been "away)

I send you heartfelt prayers for a quick recovery... I have never had complications such as those that you speak of, but I do have a tip for you, if you're interested, since you're taking so many antibiotics...

It's called "Bio-K" and it helps to regulate intestinal functions. It has 50 BILLION fresh, live active cultures (L.acidophilus & L.casei), which, since you're on heavy doses of antibiotics, you'll definitely be needing to keep the healthy bacteria in good numbers and your body in balance. It comes in a refrigerated form, in a little bottle, and you drink it. Their number is 1-800-593-2465, if you want to locate a distributor near you. Ask your MD about it or check their website: Bio-K Plus - Probiotic - Beneficial bacteria - Regulates intestinal functions

I don't mean to offer unsolicited advice - I just want you to GET BETTER SOON, and I know from personal experience that this stuff works...

Thinking of you... and sending good wishes,

Sara :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom