"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #1681
Sous Chef

Fisher's Mom, Actually he's 2mos shy of 21!! I thought it was a good way to break them in too! :>)

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #1682
Head Chef

Unhappy Venting

I called xyz company for ink for my printer.. Instead of getting a United States American customer service person I got some individual from the Philppines who could barley speak English.. I think this has gone on too far
outsourceing jobs we Americans can and should have the opertunity to fill. I told him I would buy US products and hung up.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #1683
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I called xyz company for ink for my printer.. Instead of getting a United States American customer service person I got some individual from the Philppines who could barley speak English.. I think this has gone on too far
outsourceing jobs we Americans can and should have the opertunity to fill. I told him I would buy US products and hung up.
i find this just a pain in the a## can't understand em and i always ask for a supervisior. sometimes can't understand them either. ran into this on tech for computer. just made me crazy.

babe
Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #1684
Cook

It's one of my pet hates too! I adore my car insurance company because I always get an Aussie on the other end and they are so helpful. you want to know they are employing your own countrymen instead of outsourcing their work to overseas!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:33 AM   #1685
Executive Chef

As Shani knows, most of our service companies and the accounts companies of other companies are off-shore, usually in India. We are constantly inundated with Indian call centres trying to flog us something. We now also get pre-recorded messages originating from America too!!

And someone in Australian television made a determination that local content for TV (of which we require a minimum level to stop our programming being overrun with imports thereby destroying our industry) can now include New Zealand produced programmes! Not sure if our Kiwi friends realised that they have been colonised by the Australian television networks!!

You do wonder where it will stop.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #1686
Head Chef

My problem with talking to someone in another land is first I am lucky if I can sort of understand what they are sayiing. And I am used to dealing with folks speaking with many accents.

Second, and more important, they don't know anything.

Had a minor problem with my then new computer. Someone with a barely understandable Indian accent told me to do something. It did not work.

Then she told me to blow away my hard drive. Just like that, poof.

Had already moved over all of the stuff from the old computer. Did not want to do that.

Took the computer to the computer geek shop, he pushed the F11 button, and everything was fine.

In the UK called information about railroad connections. Got someone in India who knew less about the place than we did. Fortunately the misinformation we were given was so ridiculous we did not follow it.

Now if I call for help and I hear a very foreign accent just demand a supervisor who can speak English. There usually is someone there who actually knows something. You just have to use up a bunch of time and get yourself upset to get to one.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #1687
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
This may sound mean, but sometimes when a telemarketer calls and has a foreign accent that I can not understand-- I jabbor back in like baby talk, then when they say excuse me (I think thats what they say) I say now you know how I feel! and hang up.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #1688
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
My problem with talking to someone in another land is first I am lucky if I can sort of understand what they are sayiing. And I am used to dealing with folks speaking with many accents.

Second, and more important, they don't know anything.

Had a minor problem with my then new computer. Someone with a barely understandable Indian accent told me to do something. It did not work.

Then she told me to blow away my hard drive. Just like that, poof.

Had already moved over all of the stuff from the old computer. Did not want to do that.

Took the computer to the computer geek shop, he pushed the F11 button, and everything was fine.

In the UK called information about railroad connections. Got someone in India who knew less about the place than we did. Fortunately the misinformation we were given was so ridiculous we did not follow it.

Now if I call for help and I hear a very foreign accent just demand a supervisor who can speak English. There usually is someone there who actually knows something. You just have to use up a bunch of time and get yourself upset to get to one.
The funny thing about this is I was my college's computer technician for 4 years and I had to call Microsoft's call centers a few times... I taught them something almost every time... very basic stuff. They REALLY don't know what they are doing.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #1689
Executive Chef

What used to bug me before I cancelled the service was that AMERICA Online (AOL) had all it's customer service centers moved to India. Seriously, how can you have AMERICA in your name if you are taking jobs away from Americans???????? Oh, but try and cancel and dayum skippy you'll get a guy in the US to try and talk you out of canceling.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #1690
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I agree, Dave. I bought a TV on line from a major electronics chain store. There was no packing slip or invoice. (Needed one for the warranty/proof of purchase, etc.) When I called the on-line phone # for help, wound up in the Phillipines as well. Can't decide which is more frustrating - inability to understand the accent, waiting ten minutes for the next word to come out of his mouth, or switchhooking & disconnecting me when I asked for a supervisor. Similar situation when contacting a Tech from my isp.