"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #1711
Sous Chef

Have I got this wrong? did you say they were friends ?

That's not a good way to treat anyone, especially your friends.

Isn't it incredible that sometimes we all find it so difficult to love one another that includes me I regret to say.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #1712
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
we were asked to dinner by friends. just hubby and I, no kids yet, they had none either. they said come over whenever. it was a saturday, we had stuff to do in the day, yard work etc. we'd never been to their house either and in those days, yahoomaps.com didn't exist. we stopped for a bottle of wine for them as a gift, didn't have any at home to give them back then. when we got there, they were furious. the wife didn't even talk. he just said, 'sit down, dinner's ready." didn't acknowledge the wine or anything.
here's what all the upset was about.
dinner:
1 cheese stuffed mostacholli [sp?]

oh no, wait no longer to read anything else.
that was it.
no sauce over the top.
no salad.
no bread.
no drink.
no dessert.
nothing else.

that's what we got heck for not showing up earlier for.
I've made a better meal for our goats.
Yikes! Did they at least provide plates and eating utensils to eat the lone element of dinner? Or did they expect you to all take a side and just start eating toward the middle? Did they ever invite you again, and if so did you go? You must have really felt uncomfortable!

Barbara

Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #1713
Head Chef

i would have walked out ..
but thats me ..
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #1714
Executive Chef

Maybe the wife was trying to punish you by being a you know what and kept the rest of the meal hidden. I just cant believe anyone would consider that dinner. If they expected you at a certain time they should have said so.
A lot of people have trouble communicating and expect you to have ESP and when we dont get it they get mad.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #1715
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Maybe you were the victim of a "secret" progressive dinner. The rest of the dinner was in the "diner protection program."
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #1716
Master Chef

What time did you guys show up? I have learned not to say "anytime" you get here........really, they don't mean it and we don't say it because people will take you literally if you do say it.........it's a shame that you were served a goat's meal-----your friends should have been more specific if they had expected y'all at a specific time.....shame on them for not being more specific.....as I think that you would have been there at 7pm if they wanted you there at that time.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #1717
Cook

My problem with being late is a little different. We had a family christmas in Louisville, Kentucky this year (A 3 1/2 hour drive for me). The whole family goes down and is then expected to spend the night and enjoy a breakfast and leave in the afternoon. Well sorry to be selfish but I don't want to spend the night. I think going down and enjoying my family for the day is fine, but spending 2 days is hard for me. I either was out of town or working every weekend in December and wanted one day to myself. My family eventually understood, although I got quite a guilt trip. What I didn't understand was we were to arrive at 3:00, on the dot and that was when dinner was to be served. I had never done this trip before and all I was going on was mapquests estimated arrival time. So I ended up being about 1/2 hour early. Do you know that the hostess did not come out to say hi until 3:00! I thought I was being courteous by making sure that I was not late to the table, I mean it's a 3 1/2 hour drive I was planning for any out of the unplanned things that can go wrong on a drive. Oh well I guess you can't please them all!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #1718
Sous Chef

Maybe in 6 month's time it may seem funny and you'll be able to laugh about it but it's somewhat daunting at the time isn't it.
I hope you have a very Happy New Year and don't even think about the next celebration yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #1719
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichardson View Post
What I didn't understand was we were to arrive at 3:00, on the dot and that was when dinner was to be served. I had never done this trip before and all I was going on was mapquests estimated arrival time. So I ended up being about 1/2 hour early. Do you know that the hostess did not come out to say hi until 3:00! I thought I was being courteous by making sure that I was not late to the table, I mean it's a 3 1/2 hour drive I was planning for any out of the unplanned things that can go wrong on a drive. Oh well I guess you can't please them all!
Arriving half an hour before the meal is served is perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned. It gives everyone time to greet each other and freshen up a little before the meal. She was being very rude IMHO.

Barbara
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #1720
Executive Chef

If that happened to me I would not go back again.I dont have a desire to feel on edge because of another person. Lets face it some people are control freaks and I just wont have any part of it.You said you you wanted a day to your self well then take it no big deal I do it all the time. People will get mad but they get over it. There is nothing wrong with taking time for your self its not being selfish its just that you need some down time for your self.