"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #1741
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's a really crappy feeling to know someone's been in your "space" and rummaged through your stuff. Very unsettling feeling.

I woke up in the middle of the night after the break-in and had the feeling that the shop was going to be broken into again. Whoever did it on Friday didn't take anything, that we know of at this point. All I could think of at 3 a.m. was that the burglars had seen what was in the shop and could come back to clean us out.

When he got up Saturday morning, I asked Buck to go to the shop and check on it and Julie. He did and phoned me at the house to report that everything was in order and the shop was secure.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and concern. Buck and I appreciate your support.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #1742
Master Chef

Please, Katie E., if you haven't already do install some surveillance cameras if you can afford it--talk to your insurance companies--they may give you a discount--then you will have peace of mind.......I'm so sorry for the ordeal that you and Buck have gone thru and my prayers and best wishes are for y'all

Old 01-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #1743
Master Chef

Also Sam's club has some cameras pretty inexpensive.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #1744
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
So sorry this has happened to you and Buck. Is your place pretty well lit in or outside? Hope it never happens again - it is frightening ! Especially when they mess with your secure feelings !
Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #1745
Executive Chef

Katie and Buck, I'm so sorry about your break-in. It would almost have been less troubling if they had stolen stuff because it would have been easier to put it behind you. But it's a very creepy feeling to wonder what the heck they had in mind when they broke in. I think you're probably right about them being there to steal but something scared them off. Still, the idea that some stranger broke in and wandered around your space is really crappy.

BTW, some lights and even alarms on motion detectors are very easy to set up yourselves and very inexpensive. Might give you some peace of mind.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #1746
Executive Chef

We once had a similiar experience, when we went out to the car one morning and found the lock missing as I tried to put the key in to open the door. That was all that had happened, no apparent attempt to take the car, the radio was still there. Creepy!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #1747
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry to hear it k.t.e.

ya know, dead bolts are useless unless they go into a steel frame built into a door. it doesn't take much effort to kick in a door no matter how many locks there are, if they go into a wooden frame. it's just about the same thing as being able to break a 2 x 4.

and yeah, they probably figured that if you had a cheap security system, it would work through a phone line to the police or a monitoring station. most systems don't work that way, so i doubt they were pros.

i also doubt that they were just casing the place for a return visit. that's very risky. i'm guessing they were scared away, or were looking for something else that they thought you had in the shop.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #1748
Executive Chef

How terrible for you! Whenever I go out, the first thing I do as I pull into my driveway is to look to see if my alarm is flashing. My concern is less about the material items (I really don't have much to steal - I've met crims with much better stuff than I'll ever own!!!) but about my cats safety. Glad everything is okay for all.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #1749
Master Chef

Ok, gotta vent for a minute. The depression is getting to me.
Sons car is out and we still had to pay $500 deductible. My insurance denied the other guys claim. Seems the damage is to the MIDDLE of the grill and pushed to the drivers side. Agent said that only way that can happen after the investigation is that he was in a turn and son hit him, therfore, the other guys fault. They are going after the other insurance company. Now, younger son up and quit his job and is sitting there with no food, no heat{out of propane} and a truck payment due, a truck that is in MY name. He is actually behind from December. I am at a loss at what is going on with him. I have not slept and cried until no more tears. My husband is livid with him and won't even talk to him, much less help any. He doesn't know about the truck payment yet. If he did, he would take the truck and then how would he be able to get a job to fix this mess? He has overdrafted at the bank because he doesn't use anything but his bank card and I got a statement from his bank, yes, I opened it, he owes the bank over $600!! I don't have the money to pay for that stupid truck. We already had to pay the insurance since it's on our policy. We have property taxes due and we can't afford to help him right now, not that DH would anyway. He said that son isn't welcome in his house right now. I want to strangel dh. I told him that he can't disown his son for being stupid, he said "watch me" AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #1750
Everymom

Texasgirl, wow. January came in with a vengeance for you this year. Big hugs and prayers to you sweetie. Its got to get better from here.

Closed Thread