"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #1761
Master Chef

I have been without my oven for over a week. The local appliance repairman came and looked at it a week ago last Tuesday. I was under the assumption that he was going to order the part. I was away from home last week at training and did not call him until today. He had not ordered the part. So, stil no oven!! It is amazing how much you miss an appliance when it is not functioning. This means: no cookies, no casseroles, no desserts, no muffins, etc!! Luckily, I have lots of recipes that cook on the stove or in the crockpot for dinner.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #1762
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've seen this a couple of times, too, and I never know what to do. Like you, I wonder if I say something to the parent, will they take it out on the child later at home? And will it be even worse? I was at a store in the Outlet Mall once and like you, I went to a cashier and told her. She looked really upset, too, but I don't think there was much they could do. And unfortunately in Texas, people seem to be able to get away with all sorts of abuse of children without any penalties. I love Texas but we need to do something about how we protect children here.

Your right, too many get away with too much. That's why it's worse every year!! What is sad are the stories we hear of that the FOSTER parents that are suppose to take care of them because they were abused at home, are abusing them too. These poor kids have no protection.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #1763
Master Chef

I'm sorry--I've been involved with getting my daughter off to college......Yeah, I agree totally TexasGirl, it was so unsettling to see this mother smack her babies around........I wished that I had had the nerve to go up to her and do something but like you I'd be afraid that she'd take it out on them later and she looked menacing...........it's not right and shouldn't be allowed and immediately addressed if it occurs in a public place---you don't see parents in Europe or K. smacking their kids around and there is a reason
Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #1764
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
I have been without my oven for over a week. The local appliance repairman came and looked at it a week ago last Tuesday. I was under the assumption that he was going to order the part. I was away from home last week at training and did not call him until today. He had not ordered the part. So, stil no oven!! It is amazing how much you miss an appliance when it is not functioning. This means: no cookies, no casseroles, no desserts, no muffins, etc!! Luckily, I have lots of recipes that cook on the stove or in the crockpot for dinner.
I had the same problem getting into cookie baking season! No oven is a bad deal!
I did find though that if you are willing to shovel your way to the grill (I think you had a little snow) it can be used to get an emergency casserole done just fine!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #1765
Chef Extraordinaire

scream out loud

just spent an hour waiting in the wind, cold and rain for a taxi. i used to take them a lot.(i don't drive, never have) the service got very bad. so i took steps so i wouldn't have to take them.

ie food shop on line, presp. delievered , etc.

needed a hair cut badly so made an appointment for today. i have a friend that usually i go with. she hates to drive in rain so i planned to take a cab.

they ofter credit card service, had no cash so used it to go to shop. driver was really a pill about my usuing the card. says he has to pay 6%. in any case he chose the job. so not my problem.

got hair cut, did a bit of shopping and called a cab to come home. would not give me an epa. waited half an hour and called back. asap i was told. waited another half an hour, meantime it got colder and windy and started to rain.

lady that went in store, saw me when she came out and offered me a ride. i took it. usually when i got a ride would call cab company and tell them. i was so mad i thought to heck with them. when i got home called and complained. usual garbarge. we apologize .

there i feel better what a good thread. lol
babe
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #1766
Master Chef

I hate that you sat out there that long in the cold and rain!! Is it an individual company or a company big enough you can get to the corporate office?
I'm so glad that someone got you home!!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #1767
Chef Extraordinaire

OK..... what the ####!

My plans to purchase a tv at circuit city fell through Sunday, so I ordered it at Amazon instead. They always get stuff to me in a couple days.
I saw where it had left the city 5 hours east of me and was taken to a city 2 hour west of me Monday. There it sat..... or so the tracking information said. So I called Amazon. I'm not going to get into how many people I talked to and the "language" barrier encountered, but I finally had a phone number of the trucking depot the tv was supposed to be at..... back close to where it was originally shipped from! They didn't have any record of it. So they gave me Cleveland's depot number, where it supposedly has been sitting for three days. Nope. No record.... wait a minute...... here you go, we haven't even picked up the TV from Amazon yet. WHAT?!

So I called Amazon again. Yes, it's in stock. No, we don't know why it hasn't shipped yet, but you are scheduled to get it next week. I know, I said.... that's when I'm scheduled to receive the other items I ordered with the tv and I received those a couple days ago.....

Now, Amazon has always gotten things to me in 2-3 days. It amazes me sometimes, so why now? Why this? I was really lookiing forward to having it for the Superbowl and the Dish guy is supposed to be here today to hook up my digital programing. Argggh. If I didn't have him come today, it would be next week sometime and I DID NOT want my tv here without have digital....

OK, better now maybe....
Old 01-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #1768
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK..... what the ####!

My plans to purchase a tv at circuit city fell through Sunday, so I ordered it at Amazon instead. They always get stuff to me in a couple days.
I saw where it had left the city 5 hours east of me and was taken to a city 2 hour west of me Monday. There it sat..... or so the tracking information said. So I called Amazon. I'm not going to get into how many people I talked to and the "language" barrier encountered, but I finally had a phone number of the trucking depot the tv was supposed to be at..... back close to where it was originally shipped from! They didn't have any record of it. So they gave me Cleveland's depot number, where it supposedly has been sitting for three days. Nope. No record.... wait a minute...... here you go, we haven't even picked up the TV from Amazon yet. WHAT?!

So I called Amazon again. Yes, it's in stock. No, we don't know why it hasn't shipped yet, but you are scheduled to get it next week. I know, I said.... that's when I'm scheduled to receive the other items I ordered with the tv and I received those a couple days ago.....

Now, Amazon has always gotten things to me in 2-3 days. It amazes me sometimes, so why now? Why this? I was really lookiing forward to having it for the Superbowl and the Dish guy is supposed to be here today to hook up my digital programing. Argggh. If I didn't have him come today, it would be next week sometime and I DID NOT want my tv here without have digital....

OK, better now maybe....
OH NO!!
That is horrible. Amazon is usually very good about getting it there. If it is late getting there, you might put enough of a gripe for them to expedite that package to you.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #1769
Chef Extraordinaire

They forwarded my "concern" to some specialty dept they have. I got an email back saying they were sorry, but my order got misplaced. I should have the TV by the sixth.... oh well. All the stuff I've gotten through them and I never had an order misplaced. Why this one?

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #1770
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...Why this one?...
Because it is THE one. LOL Kind of like Murphy's Law, the one you really count on is the one that doesn't come through.

Barbara