Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Barbara.

IT is almost 11:00 here now and we finally have the flooding contained and most of the water baled. The carpets leading to the two bathrooms and the storage room are soaked and it even seaped under the wall into our living room. The ensuite actually seeped through the carpet into our bedroom as well. Both bathtubs backed up to about a foot high and then that was draining back out and coming up around through the toilets.

Sorry to be so graphic but man, this is just insane. The other three suites were hit but not as bad as us. They have shut all the water off in the building but if someone forgets and flushes a toilet it can all start over.

We are exhausted, but GIG and we know that it will all work out. Tomorrow I have to get on the strata office and make sure that the building insurance will cover all the damage so we don't have to use ours. Some friends who also own here said that they had a flood a few years ago and it was the fault of a pipe in the wall and it took some doing, but they got the building to cover it all - new carpets, repaired plumbing, repaired wall, etc.

I just wish I could do more to help DH out on all this. As it is, I am walking way too much without my cane but I have been trying to help out where I can.

Laurie,
don't try to do so much..DH has his hands full as it is and this way he won't have to care for you if you relapse..Be careful please...I'm so sorry about this, it must be awful for the two of you..You have my prayers for help and that things will be taken care of for you. Please get some rest soon..Prayers coming
kades

Thanks, Kades. I am being careful. I am also going to make sure I go to physio tomorrow no matter what. I know I am no good to anyone, specially DH if I hurt myself. It is just frustrating, but at least I can make the phone calls....and hot chocolate! Again, thanks for the prayers, they are very much appreciated. We should be able to go to bed very soon.

Thanks, Barbara.

IT is almost 11:00 here now and we finally have the flooding contained and most of the water baled. The carpets leading to the two bathrooms and the storage room are soaked and it even seaped under the wall into our living room. The ensuite actually seeped through the carpet into our bedroom as well. Both bathtubs backed up to about a foot high and then that was draining back out and coming up around through the toilets.

Sorry to be so graphic but man, this is just insane. The other three suites were hit but not as bad as us. They have shut all the water off in the building but if someone forgets and flushes a toilet it can all start over.

We are exhausted, but GIG and we know that it will all work out. Tomorrow I have to get on the strata office and make sure that the building insurance will cover all the damage so we don't have to use ours. Some friends who also own here said that they had a flood a few years ago and it was the fault of a pipe in the wall and it took some doing, but they got the building to cover it all - new carpets, repaired plumbing, repaired wall, etc.

I just wish I could do more to help DH out on all this. As it is, I am walking way too much without my cane but I have been trying to help out where I can.

Is it possible to relocate to a local motel or hotel for a day or two, Laurie? Sometimes if you can get away from the disaster it's easier to deal with it........please don't overdo it........otherwise your DH is going to be taking care of you and the house and double his workload............

My hopes for a speedy conclusion to such an unfortunate event.........been there and done that...........hang in there

Jeez Laurie! I'm sorry you are going through, yet one more thing. Don't do too much though. It's not worth hurting yourself all over again.

Just learning in the middle of the night of your situation, I know you have your hands full.
Take it slow and easy. Come here to vent, but know all will work out. Just keep on those who make the decisions. Don't settle for NO.

Laurie.... Oh my goodness!!!!

Hope things are drying up nicely. Did you get the insurance all worked out? What a pain in the butt!!

Any news on the job interviews for hubby?

smiles, Trish

I had to throw out some freezer burned foods... hubby hates waste too, but he goes to the extreme.. goes in the trash to see what I threw out , and said he didn't care if it has freezer burn. He tried to eat deli turkey breast, and found out what I said was true... freezer burn food tastes horrible. He wants me to cook some stew meat I threw out , to give to the dog.. I am not giving the dog bad food , but I will try to cut out all the freezer burn area I can see on the meat before cooking, that is , if I can salvage it.

I had to throw out some freezer burned foods... hubby hates waste too, but he goes to the extreme.. goes in the trash to see what I threw out , and said he didn't care if it has freezer burn. He tried to eat deli turkey breast, and found out what I said was true... freezer burn food tastes horrible. He wants me to cook some stew meat I threw out , to give to the dog.. I am not giving the dog bad food , but I will try to cut out all the freezer burn area I can see on the meat before cooking, that is , if I can salvage it.

oh, my, Girlfriend, you throw stuff away when they're on the toilet and the garbage men are outside the door...........I made the mistake of throwing away my hubby's roach killer cowboy boots ........they were the ugliest things alive that his father talked him into buying and he never wore them.........roaches fled away when they saw him coming the first and last time..........all they were doing were taking up space in the closet............he just tore thru the garbage pulling all kinds of useless stuff that he hadn't worn since Leave it to Beaver days..........that's okay when he went to Egypt I did another sweep of still unworn stuff 8 years later...........not one word was ever said.......he had no time on his hands anymore.........

can your hubby make the dog food per your instructions with the stipulation he cleans up the kitchen afterwards? My poor outdoor cats in Cairo probably would have eaten it raw but as I was feeding about 10 I'd feed them meat a couple of times a week and then supplement with lentils.......vet said that as long as I added some fish juice they would be fine nutritionally and she gave me vitamins to supplement as well........

I feel your pain in this regard............:angel:

Can I please ask for some prayers. I'm having a really hard time right now. The guilt is just eating me alive. I don't want to make this too long and bore everyone but I probably will. I haven't slept in two days and my mind is just racing.
My mom is in an asst' living facility since January. She's got dementia, diabetes and is wheelchair bound. Up to that point she was doing well living in her own place. We found out she had colon cancer and had surgery to remove it. No chemo or radiation needed. After the surgery she went down hill and the dementia started. We found out at that time she also had a spot on her lung. The oncologist said it was slow growing and probably wouldn't change for years. I made the decision not to do anything because it would not improve her quality of life.
Fast forward to now. She's been fighting a uti for the past couple weeks and has her really out of it. I've spent the past two nights at the ER with her. Draining to say the least. She went back to the ER today and they took x-rays of her chest and stomach to see if there were other problems. The lung cancer has grown. :( They showed us the x-rays and there is also another spot in another area. Her oncologist will be looking at the x-rays tomorrow (Saturday) and let us know what to expect and if there is a time frame. I am so scared right now. I feel so alone. My dh and ds are a great support as is my older brother except he lives in St. Louis. My two younger brothers are no help at all (they also live out of town).
I want to believe that the choices I've made for her were the right ones yet I can't get over the guilt. This is like deja vu right now as my Dad died from pancreatic cancer in 83. I just don't know how I'm going to get through this. Also my grandmother just passed away in June and with the holidays coming up I feel like I'm going to crack!!
I would just like to ask for prayers for my dear mom because I love her so much!
Sorry this got so long, I just needed to let it out.

Barb

Barb,

From one who has been there and done that.......stop beating yourself up.......I know that you will anyway...............you can every have test in the book (if her insurance will pay for it) you do what you can do........you've been a fantastic daughter looking out for her..........that's all you can do.........if she's got dementia.......really it's a blessing...........then she doesn't know what's going on.........that's how it was with my Dad........he ended up having lung cancer, too...........the doctor's said that we could treat him with a food tube in the stomach as he had lost his swallowing reflex due to the dementia and that we'd only be saving him for lung cancer to ravage him and the pain that would accompany it......right now he was in no pain.........do you know how hard it was to sit there and make that decision..............that's why I know what you're going thru...........let her go in peace is what I'm trying to say........the cancer has metastisized and has spread throughout her entire body............let her go......You're a great daughter..........you care..............and I'm so very sorry...........

went to the ER yesterday .. did not want to go .. but my regular doctor
advised me that i should .. i understand that there is going to be a wait ..
but 6 hours in the waiting room and another 3 in a little room
while in the worst pain of my life seems a tad long to me ..
and they would not even give me anything for pain until i had someone there
to drive me home .. so .. my wife takes the little ones to my moms and comes up
there .. i tell the triage nurse i have a ride .. she gives me 600mg ibuprofen ..
what a long day ...

Barb
My thought are with you. I have made those tough decisions for both my dad and auntie. It is just natural to start second guessing your decisions. What helped me the most when I started the spinning thoughts was something a friend told me. She said "Think with your head and not with your heart". Your heart will tell you that you want Mom always, while your head will tell you what is best for Mom's quality of life.

My Dad passed away last week. I draw comfort in knowing that because I made those decisions Dad was not in a lot of pain and was able to stay at home till the end which was his wish.

May you have peace with the decisions you make.

Barb,
we all have guilt and pain over things, but, you will work through that..It's normal to say I should have or maybe if..The past is the past and you can't change it..You learn from it and grow..Love yourself and you will have great love to share..Be proud that you were their for your mom.You are brave and strong don't let that slip now..I don't know if you have small children or grandkids, use them to give you that warm feeling and pass it to your mom...Make the most of the time left..Then you can rest easy knowing you stayed till you could do no more..Many of us here have the same guilts and pain, so let us lend you a shoulder and many good thoughts and if you like, prayers..If we can ease the pain for you, then bless us and you..Love that's the key...
kadesma

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I know beating myself up is not the answer and other people are going through the same thing. I guess it's just a natural reaction to second guess yourself. I've just got to process all this and figure out where to go from here.
My dd and two grandkids went up to see my mom today. It was a good day and she was in good spirits. She just doesn't like having the catheter in. (Sorry, tmi) My oldest grandson who's 8 came and gave me a hug and told me he will pray for his GG to get better so I wouldn't be so upset. Out of the mouths of babes!
We haven't heard anything from the dr. yet, so we're at a standstill.
Thank you guys again it means alot to me.

Barb

Barb, we always do what we think is best. I think you made the right choices from what you told us. Nothing would have helped her with the cancer, even the oncologist was in agreement there and if you had, what would that have improved? Now, if there was a cure for dementia, YES, then that is something to go after, but, sadly, there isn't and with that, whatever other ailment she has, except for everyday illnesses, isn't going to help her quality of life. Me, if I were in that situation, I would not want my kids to do anything further to burden them. Let me go to my lord and stop the pain.
My mom was diagnosed in January 92 with colon cancer. We watched her go through the chemo, her knowing it was only prolonging her life, and then, was there for her in her last days at the hospital. She died Oct 5,1992. 9 months, that's it. She wouldn't have gone sooner if not for the chemo, but, as I said, it was to prolong only to get her affairs in order because she wasn't going to put any burden on us. That is the way she was. My momma was my life. I lost her when I was 22, she at 54. WAY too young to go. I lost my teacher, my friend and the one person I always went to when I needed a shoulder. It IS hard Barb and I pray for you to release your guilt, for, you have nothing to feel guilty about. You have loved her and taken good care of her, or she wouldn't be here now with you!! Be at peace with yourself as I know she is too.
img_725816_0_e7356d5b61b9d0044006f740080880e6.jpg

Barb, There's not much I can add to what the others have already said, but I would like to add that I am praying for your mom and for you.

Love2"Q", I know what you mean. I spent quite some time at the ER when I first got cellulitis in July. I was sitting there feeling like my leg was on fire--I thought they were never going to see me, and when they did, I thought they were never going to finish.

Barbara

Barb, There's not much I can add to what the others have already said, but I would like to add that I am praying for your mom and for you.

Love2"Q", I know what you mean. I spent quite some time at the ER when I first got cellulitis in July. I was sitting there feeling like my leg was on fire--I thought they were never going to see me, and when they did, I thought they were never going to finish.

Barbara

i was just thinking today that i had not see you in awhile, barb. where u been? hope all is well:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom