"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #1881
Master Chef

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. They will not allow me to go home and schedule the surgery, which is what the doctor says they normally do, because I am a smoker and they feel if I leave the hospital and light up a cigarette I could potentially have a heart attack. So, I stay here until the surgery on Tuesday afternoon. They also started me on anti-depressants and are concerned about that.
My mom is coming here on Monday, I have not talked to her since dads funeral in 04, so there may be the chance for reconciliation between us. I am hoping so. And the last series of tests are Monday as well.
In the meantime, thank God the hospital has wireless or I would be bored out of my skull! The cardiologist keeps telling me "congratulations on quiting smoking". It took me a few minutes to realize what he was saying, LOL. As far as they are concerned, I have officially quit now. They gave me the patch, but it only takes the edge off. DW has informed she has already hidden away my cigarettes... I think this will be the hardest part of it all.
I can only say thank God they found this early, and it is getting taken care of so I can be there to see my kids grow up!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #1882
Master Chef

Wow, I'm really glad that you didn't just go home this time!! Could have been so much worse. I agree with Expat, don't worry about wife right now. You need to think solely on what is going on with YOU. I hope all the best for you and your mom to get things back again. I don't know what happened, but, if you have even the slightest chance of being with your mom again, do it!! Good luck to you!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #1883
Executive Chef

Hi Buddy
Thinking of you and praying for the reconciliation with your mom. Keep resting so you are in the best state for your op and look forward to hearing from you afterwards.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #1884
Master Chef

Buddy, I pray all goes well with the surgery and that you and your mom reconcile.
~Diane
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #1885
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, leave the thread for a minute and all kinds of stuff goes down....
Hang tough, Buddy. Like everyone else said, it's a good thing they caught it in time to make it a simpler operation. I can't understand the "required" hospitalization ahead of time, as that more than likely would add to your stress, but I guess they have their reasons.
Don't hesitate to start a BS thread to pass the time.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #1886
Executive Chef

Wow, there's a lot of stuff happening really fast for you, Maverick! Maybe you're feeling like you have no control over anything right now - I know I would. Try to remember that you're doing all this so you can attend your kids' graduations, dance at their weddings, and rejoice in your grandchildren! Sorta like keeping your eye on the prize. You have lots of people in your life and here that will be with you throughout this. Lean on them. If you're nervous, hang out here. We'll be happy to distract you. (And while you're surfing, look up a thread here about chicks digging scars. It could be the silver lining!)
Old 02-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #1887
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow, Maverick, you have a lot on your plate right now. Just do as my maternal grandfather always recommended, "Take it easy, make it nice."

Just follow the instructions by those caring for you and focus on getting yourself back to 100%. If you need to lean on anyone, lean on us and lean as hard as you must. We're all here for you 24/7.

I hope you reach a positive resolution with your mother and that you and your wife weather whatever storm has brewed. In times when we face significant health issues, other things can take on proportions greater than needed. Just let the dust settle and concentrate on taking care of YOU. After that, everything else will fall into place. Goes back to that "take it easy, make it nice" thing. There is a lot of wisdom on those words.

Buck and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #1888
Master Chef

Well, the peace around here just went out the window. My oldest son, 22 years old, has been blowing his money, of course, not if you ask him. He owes us money for the car going in the shop and for insurance. Insurance was due on the 6th. He received his income tax refund and gave us all but, $100 of the car part and said he wanted to have money in his pocket for once. Well, we let that go for a week. Well, here we are 3 weeks later and he only gave me $100. He couldn't even make his whole car payment last week of $150. He only pays $130 a month for insurance and $150 bi-weekly for the car payment. He eats everything he can find in the house. Uses up all the towels, washes only his clothes on Saturday, which dh and myself both work that day, doesn't give us any money for food or anything. All we ask is for him to pay us his insurance, that is it. IF he works 40 hours, he makes $246 a week. Yes, not much, but, in a month, should have PLENTY to pay the 2 car payments and insurance. He lives here for free and gripes about EVERYTHING. him and dh got into it today. I thought it was going to end up in a fist fight, I really did, this time. Stupid son got in dh's face and ask him what his problem was and stop yelling at him. DH shoved him and told him that was it, get out of his house. Son left white faced and gunned his car down the road. I'm here crying my eyes out. I'm scared to death about son. He has no where to go, no money and as angry as he was, I'm afraid of him getting hurt. I know, he needs to learn, but, as a mother, I'll never quit worrying about them both. Younger son finally got a job and if he doesn't pay us back quickly, dh will go off on him too. Normally, wouldn't be that big of a deal, but, we are hurting so bad financially, neither one of us can even see a doctor from our bank accout being under $100 because of all the bills. He knows this too and doesn't seem to care at all. Youngest son at least seems to care, we will see.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #1889
Everymom

Oh Stacy, what a hard place to be in. I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad all over the place. Prayers for peace are coming your way.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #1890
Master Chef

Son still hasn't come back. I just hope he's okay. Will be an interesting nights sleep.