"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #1961
Master Chef

My dad was one of those DI's (drill instructors) that wore the Smoky the Bear hats like in An Officer and a Gentleman. He trained troops to fight in the Viet Nam war and commented on what a difference there was in the young men at the end of basic training. My dad also fought along side his troops in Viet Nam. I think that it will be the same for your son, too. Try and hang in there for his sake if that's what he has his mind set on.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #1962
Master Chef

A lot in our family have served in the military. My dad in Vietnam, a cousin in Desert Storm, others in WWI and WWII, etc. I can't think of a single mother that was happy with them going off to war.
There is the pride you have when you see how much they have grown up and matured, but the fear is always there. How could it not be considering what they are doing for a living? The best you can do is support him and pray a lot. It's hard, because you have absolutely no control over what he is doing and what might happen to him, so make sure if he does go off you contact the branch he is in and find out about support groups in your area.
I am proud of our soldiers, but I don't envy any of their close family (parents, spouses, siblings, etc), and I hate how we treat them when they come home. We just don't do enough for them or their families I think...

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #1963
Master Chef

Angry

I photograph birds. There is a fence near my mailbox, I drive to the mailbox, and what do I see, a bird I have never seen before since I lived here in PA. He was sitting on the fence and I was so mad that I did not have my camera with me. He was a male Kestral, beautiful colorful bird. They don't hang out at the bird feeders, they eat live prey. I don't know if I will ever see that bird again.
If it wasn't so cold and windy out today, I would stay out there with a camera and see if he comes back. The mailbox is far from the house which is why I drive to the box, I live in the country.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #1964
Master Chef

Hope that you get a picture soon, LadyCook61---if you're really determined you might want to call your local county agent/wildlife departments and see if there have been any other spottings. Maybe they have changed some of their migrational patterns.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #1965
Master Chef

Ya need one of those motion detecting, time lapsed cameras, LOL.
Otherwise we could pull out one of DC's GPS units and ambush it for ya!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #1966
Master Chef

DC has a GPS unit????? :) They must be after you for some reason, Maverick2272......:) Do you wear an ankle bracelet, too? jest kidding.....
Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #1967
Master Chef

DC started stocking em for members that had a tendency to wander off without letting anyone know where they went to!

We threatened Bilby with it first.

And the ankle bracelet, as far as I know, is permanently attached to Buckytom and comes complete with electro shocker controlled by the Admins!

Come to think of it.. maybe I should double check myself!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #1968
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
DC started stocking em for members that had a tendency to wander off without letting anyone know where they went to!

We threatened Bilby with it first.

And the ankle bracelet, as far as I know, is permanently attached to Buckytom and comes complete with electro shocker controlled by the Admins!

Come to think of it.. maybe I should double check myself!
LOL way too loud!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #1969
Sous Chef

Here is my vent:

I have had the worst luck the last little while. In November, on a very busy morning and the day I had an orchestra concert to perform in my house flooded. A sewage pipe backed up. It took a month to get all the carpet replaced, so for that whole time my house was all torn apart. At least insurance covered it all.

Then in January we had a pipe break outside and the water pressure pretty much washed my garden away, including the pansies I had planted so I wouldn't have to plant spring flowers while I was pregnant.

Then, last Thursday the main waterline broke. (The moron who installed it used a pipe that was an inch too short and just wedged it together). All my new carpet got soaked and now I have carpet and padding torn up again to air out. At least this time the water was clean so we don't have to replace it all again.

Then yesterday, we got back into town for a trip and found a police report on our door and half of our fence missing. One of the neighbors had ran off the road, over the raspberries, through our fence, and nearly hit the house. At least we don't have to pay for it. But now 8 months pregnant and very sore and tired I have to try and prevent B from stepping on carpet tacks inside, and from escaping out of the broken fence outside. I just want a clean/safe house/yard before my baby comes! Is that so much to ask?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #1970
Master Chef

Oh no, how awful for you!! I hope it's goes uphill from here!!