"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #2031
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
TELEMARKETERS!!!!!!!!! I have told this same person, who calls TWICE a day, that the owner is NEVER here and they will have to leave a message - they will NEVER leave a message and refuse to take us off their list unless it's the owner. Next time I'm going to pretend the owner is here, get their information to see who they are EXACTLY! I know what the caller ID says - but of course, that does me no good in looking them up. A legitimate business will show up under a Google search! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2032
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'll vent along with you on that one KE... what a royal pain in the butt!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #2033
Sous Chef

I hear ya. I'm on the the national do-not-call registry. But that doesn't prevent the 30 various police and fire-fighter organizations from calling me twice a month asking for money.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #2034
Chef Extraordinaire

I called that number back 5 times - it just rang with no answer. On the 5th time she picked up the phone before it rang and she said hello with a big question mark hanging there! I asked her what company she was with - I had to repeat it. I asked why she was calling, I had to repeat that. I told herI needed to tell the owner why she was calling. She finally told me she was with PCA Security. I said I needed to leave a message for the owner as to why she was calling. She said, Oh, are you in Colorado. I said NO. She said, oh, we're done callling in your area. I said I hope so because you have called twice a day now for I don't know how long. I tell you each and every time the owner never comes in and you refuse to leave a message and it's getting very old. She said, oh, thank you, we're done calling in your area. I said I sure hope so!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #2035
Executive Chef

Yep, I'm on the do-not-call list but I made the mistake of giving to a State Troopers Association and those guys are relentless. The call all the time. But you know what I really hate is the automatic dialers. You know, when you answer the phone and you get a recording to hang on the line for an important message????? That is just beyond all reason. They are calling me and I'm supposed to hold???
Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #2036
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got ANOTHER ONE with the same dialogue - different state, different company. Will only speak with an owner but no message. I said, look, the owner is never here and if you want to speak with him you will have to leave a message, otherwise I am going to ask you to quit calling...she started to say something and I just said, this is getting old...please take us off your list...she said ok.

So, if anyone would like me to speak with the people that call you today seems to be the day I have the "power" to make them say - yes, you will be removed.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #2037
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Possibly, I can interest y'all (love that word) in my outlook on telemarketers. They were put here to help you vent pent up frustration form other parts of your life. You can say anything to them and they do not matter. Examples:

"The owner, well he ran off with my wife and I am looking for him too. Can you call back if you find him?"

"Let me put you right through." Transfer them to someone else that "richly" needs the agro.

If you have a multi line phone call an invalid number and put the annoying message on hold and confertence the Telemarketer in to the annoying message. This can also work with a busy signal.

Just put the phone in the waste can and cover it up while they talk on. They get paid by closings and this wastes their time.

These are a few of the nice ones. There are others, be inventive.

It;s all a state of mind and they are there to entertain.

My all time favorite is the one that calls at night, say 7:00 PM or so. In my most plesant voice -"You called as I just sat down from a 14 hour day and got comfortable. Do you have any reason to believe that after you interrupting me that there is any way that I sould buy anything?"
Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #2038
Certified Cake Maniac

I keep getting these calls - they come from a different state each time, but they are the same annoying message "Macys, Bloomingdales, Target, yada yada yada.....a family member or friend entered you into a contest and you are eligble to win yada yada yada...

I live in CANADA!!!! We have no Macys, Bloomingdales or Target stores where I live. And I have no friends or relatives that even if they did shop in those stores would ever be so stupid as to put my name in for one of those propaganda contests!

And because it is a message and the calls come from different places, I can't yell at anyone or get taken off any lists!

There, thanks, I feel very much better now.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #2039
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Yep, I'm on the do-not-call list but I made the mistake of giving to a State Troopers Association and those guys are relentless. The call all the time. But you know what I really hate is the automatic dialers. You know, when you answer the phone and you get a recording to hang on the line for an important message????? That is just beyond all reason. They are calling me and I'm supposed to hold???
I have the exact same problem! I donated to the Fraternal Order of the Police and I am now on their list for eternity.

And I get the hold thing all the time too. Why would they bother to call me and then tell me to please hold while I listen to some obnoxious message music? Perhaps they program subliminal message in those so you will be more willing to respond (if anyone actually listens to them).

Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #2040
Executive Chef

I know that I don't qualify for a lot of the promotional calls that I get so for the telecommunications ones I just interrupt them nicely and let them know I am on a contract and they thank me and hang up. The ones for investments and holiday packages, I interrupt nicely and tell them that I am a pensioner and don't earn the minimum amount they require and they thank me and hang up. I donate to about 8 charities or more over the phone and participate in lots of surveys. If I hear an autodialler though, I hang up before it gets round to me. If I hear a recorded voice, I hang up before more than a couple of words are said. Most telemarketers love me cos I ask them how they are, and sometimes make them laugh and then when i say no, they give up graciously.