"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #2061
Everymom

I can only access DC and another forum I love with IE!!! My stupid bloody firefox browser won't let me open them!! ARGH! I have done everything I can think of to fix this, deleting cookies, uninstalling, reinstalling, sending frantic messages for help to the all and sundry, but to no avail. I'm FRUSTRATED! And I have to go to work in an hour. PHOOEY!!!!

Ah. I feel some better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #2062
Executive Chef

Alix, we were having so many problems with ours slowing down and refusing to go into places we knew we'd gone before. Dgs came out and took a whole bunch of stuff off that had sneaked up on us. It had almost gotten as slow as dial up. Now we just whiz thru. I hope yours turns out as well.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #2063
Everymom

The reason I'm so frustrated is that this is a brand new computer. It works fine everywhere else, just not the place I want most to be!! And now IE is acting up on me. It keeps jumping all over the place and I have to log off and log back on...ARGH!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #2064
Certified Cake Maniac

Alix, the place that you want the computer to be - is there anything magnetic or any heaters that are right by the computer? These can make it operate very strangely or not at all. Also, are you using a wireless network to access the internet? I mean is the internet connection and network hub (wireless antenna unit) too far away for its useful frequency? I hope I am not throwing out too many technical terms. We co-owned an internet and computer business for ten years and I played "help desk" a lot!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #2065
Master Chef

All I know is that when our computer slows down to a snail's crawl we pull the plug out and put it back in and for some reason that kicks it back into downloading again.....of course we're not in the western hemisphere either.....but I can certainly relate to your frustration and I doubt if our method would work for you at all........
Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #2066
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The reason I'm so frustrated is that this is a brand new computer. It works fine everywhere else, just not the place I want most to be!! And now IE is acting up on me. It keeps jumping all over the place and I have to log off and log back on...ARGH!
Alix, I don't know exactly what the problem is but here's a few suggestions:
Since it's a new computer, are you running Vista and you weren't before? This could be an issue which might make you need to change some of your security settings to have things run like before. I use Firefox on my laptop which has Vista so I know you can do it. Have you updated Vista with the new service pack that just came out? If not, I would do that. Second, what virus protection are you running? Is it a new one that came with your new computer? Is it different than what you were running? I use AVG, which is free and set to update daily. It works great. Do you have Spy-Bot installed and have you recently updated it? That is another free program that I highly recommend. Finally, if you do all of that and it's still a little quirky, you might try uninstalling Firefox and then re-installing it. HTH
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #2067
Everymom

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm happy for all of them.

Lets see...no wireless, no heater, no magnets around the computer. Some pet hair, but I'm kind of meticulous about blowing that out of the tower.

I use XP, I purposely bought a system with XP because I'm not impressed with Vista. So, all updates are done, and I use AVG and love it.

Nothing changed from one day to the next except I couldn't get DC to load anymore. Its really bizarre. I went and checked the histories of my kids etc, nothing. Checked system restore points etc, nothing. Its completely random. And of course its the sites I particularly want to access that it is doing it to!!

The part that frustrates me more is that IE is very finicky about navigating the site. If I try to go to a new page I have to hold my mouth just right when I click on the page # or it won't go and I get Server not found messages. So I have to click out and start all over. ARGH!!! I am persevering though.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #2068
Master Chef

Open up your AVG, make sure to check for updates first, then run it thoroughly thru every file, folder, drive, etc. Also make sure to run anti-spy ware as well. Look for worms, virus', etc.
With Firefox and IE, make sure to clean out everything, not just cookies but web files, passwords, etc. Clean it all out. Then re-set both to their default settings. Also, check to see if your Java has been updated lately. If it has, go to the Java web site and try and re-download their latest version and run it again.
Same goes with any other web based application that downloads and works on IE or Firefox, sometimes an improper update of them will cause these problems. If need be you can just disable all add-ons in IE and Firefox and see if that works.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #2069
Certified Cake Maniac

Mav, you and my DH would get along just great. You both speak in a language only a computer would understand!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #2070
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
may i send my DH away to talk about computer cookies with them??