"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #2091
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
maybe you're going to have to hide the nonperishables and put the perishables in the back of the fridge in disquised containers--good luck
That won't work here..DH has become the food police..He checks the frig and the freezer every day!!! He is constantly asking when are ya gonna cook this that or the other and now has it in his head that food in the freezer more than 2 days will go bad..So any container,can, pot and baggie is checked out and we now take it upon ourselves to toss it if we don't feel like eating it!!!
Around here it's snooze and ya loose..
kadesma

Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #2092
Master Chef

I haven't seen ungratefulness like this in a long time (and kids are naturally exempt). Seems like a couple moved here and the guy works for my husband. I took his wife everywhere and treated her to lunch, showed her shops, grocery stores, salons, etc, emailed her a list of things to bring, the whole welcome wagon shebang. Normally the company does that but it's a pretty hurried affair. She seemed to have had a good impression and had to go home and pack up a shipment and the dog. Well several weeks go by and my DH and I are in London and we run into her hubby. "Oh, when is your wife coming to K.? Oh, she's been in K. for 2 weeks but she's not a happy camper as she's had scarring complications. Feeling for her and knowing that she had been alone in a new country I asked if she would like to attend our monthly women's coffee (this is where you meet with everyone and learn of upcoming events, new places to go, etc......Oh, please do she'd really like that and it might be good for her to get out.......Ok, so I arranged for her to go, privately asked several to make sure that she wasn't left standing by herself, introduced her to all etc., one lady gave her the names & numbers of 2 people from her own home country who speak English as well as their own language. I also gave her a brand new book about K. that was fascinating and an easy read but did tell her that I had people standing in line to read it and could I have it back soon. After the coffee I asked her how she liked the coffee and the people and she informs "Well, I really don't care for coffees". absolutely no thanks whatsoever.....I was flabbergasted. She and her hubby were leaving a few days later to go back to her home country for a short visit. Imagine my shock and surprise when 6 weeks later at a going away for another couple I see her! I asked her when she got back in and she informs me that they NEVER left due to the snow!!! Now I was outraged!!! Here she never had left, no phone calls, and no book. My DH had to buy another one for me because I was giving it as a gift and the friend was leaving soon and I still hadn't gotten my other copy back......I just assumed that something related to her surgery had come up.......seething I asked her if she had talked to her 2 countrymen.......well, I get this disgusted " they were going to meet but one of them had something come up at the last minute........" Well, then did you call them back to reschedule?" I get this stupid cow look, "Well, no, I didn't" So have you met anyone in the last 6 weeks? "No" and I asked her what she did to pass the time and she replied that she quilted and took care of her dog. To make sure that she wasn't depressed or anything I asked her if she was happy with that. And she said "yes". Then I bowed out of this movie........oh, I forgot to add that after 6 weeks I finally got the book back and was informed that she never had read it----too busy......sorry to post a long vent but some people never cease to amaze me at their lack of interpersonal skills......and it's not cultural as they have been expats all their lives and she's very well educated........ok, rant's over!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #2093
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
That won't work here..DH has become the food police..He checks the frig and the freezer every day!!! He is constantly asking when are ya gonna cook this that or the other and now has it in his head that food in the freezer more than 2 days will go bad..So any container,can, pot and baggie is checked out and we now take it upon ourselves to toss it if we don't feel like eating it!!!
Around here it's snooze and ya loose..
kadesma
He's determined isn't he??
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #2094
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
He's determined isn't he??
Yep, but so am I

kades
Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #2095
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I haven't seen ungratefulness like this in a long time (and kids are naturally exempt). Seems like a couple moved here and the guy works for my husband. I took his wife everywhere and treated her to lunch, showed her shops, grocery stores, salons, etc, emailed her a list of things to bring, the whole welcome wagon shebang. Normally the company does that but it's a pretty hurried affair. She seemed to have had a good impression and had to go home and pack up a shipment and the dog. Well several weeks go by and my DH and I are in London and we run into her hubby. "Oh, when is your wife coming to K.? Oh, she's been in K. for 2 weeks but she's not a happy camper as she's had scarring complications. Feeling for her and knowing that she had been alone in a new country I asked if she would like to attend our monthly women's coffee (this is where you meet with everyone and learn of upcoming events, new places to go, etc......Oh, please do she'd really like that and it might be good for her to get out.......Ok, so I arranged for her to go, privately asked several to make sure that she wasn't left standing by herself, introduced her to all etc., one lady gave her the names & numbers of 2 people from her own home country who speak English as well as their own language. I also gave her a brand new book about K. that was fascinating and an easy read but did tell her that I had people standing in line to read it and could I have it back soon. After the coffee I asked her how she liked the coffee and the people and she informs "Well, I really don't care for coffees". absolutely no thanks whatsoever.....I was flabbergasted. She and her hubby were leaving a few days later to go back to her home country for a short visit. Imagine my shock and surprise when 6 weeks later at a going away for another couple I see her! I asked her when she got back in and she informs me that they NEVER left due to the snow!!! Now I was outraged!!! Here she never had left, no phone calls, and no book. My DH had to buy another one for me because I was giving it as a gift and the friend was leaving soon and I still hadn't gotten my other copy back......I just assumed that something related to her surgery had come up.......seething I asked her if she had talked to her 2 countrymen.......well, I get this disgusted " they were going to meet but one of them had something come up at the last minute........" Well, then did you call them back to reschedule?" I get this stupid cow look, "Well, no, I didn't" So have you met anyone in the last 6 weeks? "No" and I asked her what she did to pass the time and she replied that she quilted and took care of her dog. To make sure that she wasn't depressed or anything I asked her if she was happy with that. And she said "yes". Then I bowed out of this movie........oh, I forgot to add that after 6 weeks I finally got the book back and was informed that she never had read it----too busy......sorry to post a long vent but some people never cease to amaze me at their lack of interpersonal skills......and it's not cultural as they have been expats all their lives and she's very well educated........ok, rant's over!!!
Good lord, educated..Okay, i'll buy that, common sense and decency ..NONE..A good one to stay away from..Silly fool!!! YES
kadesma
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #2096
Master Chef

Don't worry, kadesma, the next time I see her a function she will get a polite wave and she'll have to come to me to initiate the conversation.........Ann Landers (the advice columnist) always had smart advice for stuff like this.......she said "if you act like a carpet, then people are going to wipe their shoes on you--they don't do it without your permission" well, my welcome mat has been rolled up and put away for her......oh, as an added bonus at the going away where 30 people were invited at a very nice restaurant her husband proceeded to smoke the most foul cigar all throughout dinner.......even the K's and Russians who smoke were complaining and he could not have but noticed........he was as insensitive as she was
Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #2097
Chef Extraordinaire

With those two, they deserve each other

kadesma
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #2098
Master Chef

I really don't understand the dynamics between them...........I informed my husband that I wasn't lifting another finger on their behalf and to be scouting out possible new hires because I don't think that anyone is going to give them the time of day after that horrible evening though he's a lot nicer and politer than her.........DH is doubtful, too, that they will last.........the resentment was touchable..........
Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #2099
Executive Chef

It is sad that they are not looking to others. I would think that community is really important amongst expats. If hard times come, there will be no one local to support them, which is a shame. It is great that you are so welcoming and ready to help them settle, but if they don't want, youy are right in not persisting - it sounds to me that they are self sufficient to themselves and not willing to interetsed in what is around them.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #2100
Executive Chef

My vent now. I was at the supermarket and the woman behind me had what passed for a beef joint, but it was so sad, it had not been butchered sympathetically, did not look nice, had no external fat and very little marbling - iut was basically a lump of unformed meat (not hung much either). I felt so sad that the supermarket butcher could let something like that out, and for the woman that she did not know any better.