"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #2161
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
A guy made me cry over Christmas at the store.
My 4 year old (not quite yet at the time) was getting cranky. Lunchtime, busy store, toys, snacks all around him. We were about done, he spots the candy Daddy put in the cart. I wont let him have any before lunch. He starts up. And keeps going. LOUD.
I walked away into the next aisle with sheer embarrasment and to chill out...... Dad is better at chilling him out. I walk past an older guy saying to his wife "i'd just smack the kid".....he didn't know I was with the offending screamer.
Now you know darn well if I HAD smacked him, that same guy woulda called the cops. And if I had given in and given him candy at 11:30 to shut him up, you bet he would have snarled at me for giving in! I really wanted to smack the guy!!!!
Oh thank you thank you for this thread!
People wonder why I dont take my kids anywhere. I'm afraid to!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #2162
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Or in the words of Buck's wise father, "Count yourself. You ain't so many."
I've never heard this phrase before, Katie, but it's wonderful! I think it will be one I'll repeat a lot. Thanks to you and Buck's dad for sharing this one!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #2163
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
A guy made me cry over Christmas at the store.
My 4 year old (not quite yet at the time) was getting cranky. Lunchtime, busy store, toys, snacks all around him. We were about done, he spots the candy Daddy put in the cart. I wont let him have any before lunch. He starts up. And keeps going. LOUD.
I walked away into the next aisle with sheer embarrasment and to chill out...... Dad is better at chilling him out. I walk past an older guy saying to his wife "i'd just smack the kid".....he didn't know I was with the offending screamer.
Now you know darn well if I HAD smacked him, that same guy woulda called the cops. And if I had given in and given him candy at 11:30 to shut him up, you bet he would have snarled at me for giving in! I really wanted to smack the guy!!!!
Oh thank you thank you for this thread!
People wonder why I dont take my kids anywhere. I'm afraid to!!!
Awww Suzie, we all get to go through really embarrassing stuff with our kids. But when it's happening, it's horrible. (It's really bad when it's one of your relatives who make the remarks!)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #2164
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't know it alls just bug ya!!!!
Who really in the end knows the perfect way to raise a child. They are all different. If these people are so much better at it, where is thier book and millions of dollars... since apparantly they are so willing to share such priveliged info with us in the middle of McDonalds!!!!
(And I bet thier kids are crackheads)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #2165
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's been a long time since I've taken my children out with me. (The youngest is 33.)

But, when I did I knew they would be restless and have "issues."

Whenever I see a mother with a small child who is having challenges I chalk it up to the child being out past nap/food time, etc. As any of us who have been mothers know, those two categories are prime for difficulties.

I have had my share of children in tow when shopping, etc. It's not easy, but we made it through it.

Being a mother is the most difficult and rewarding job in the world. We are only paid by the hugs and kisses of our children. Does that not make us the richest people in the world?!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #2166
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I don't get paid enough and I should go wake someone up for a hug!!!! :)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #2167
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Whenever I see a mother with a small child who is having challenges I chalk it up to the child being out past nap/food time, etc. As any of us who have been mothers know, those two categories are prime for difficulties.
This is why you are going to heaven, Katie.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #2168
Master Chef

When I see a parent struggling with a child, I just smile and say, "Been there!". If I didn't love my kids so much, one of these days I would just take my three year old and hand her over and say, "You know so much, show me!".
Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #2169
Chef Extraordinaire

Suzie,
never be embarrassed by your children, after all they are in the process of learning lifes rules..Since I had the wonderful adventure of taking care of my grandkids I never frown at a mom and here kiddies nor make mean remarks or rush out of a store to get away from them..I always try to smile at those babies and their mommy, I know what a hard job it is to try to get things done with a tired and hungry little one..That is why I feel a smile and sometimes a hi there helps that tired and frazzled mom and her kids feel life ain't all that bad...You have to look at those youngsters and their parents and think, how would I feel if those were my babies? And yes we don't get paid in dollars, but believe me, those baby hugs and kisses, looking at those beautiful faces as they sleep..There is not enough money in the world to take the place of that...Enjoy them and the ups and downs, soon enough you will ask, where did the time go? I wish I had it back..
kadesma
Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #2170
Executive Chef

If you read any of the "expert" childcare books - they all have a different theory, often very contradictive. At my playgroup we have several children who are very individualistic and when when seek advice, it so interesting how they respond with cliches & not very good advice.

I believe every child is individual and there is no one answer except to try be positive (how difficult is that) and reward the good things.