Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*rant* at PBS fund raising. They have this fund raising about 3 weeks long! I wouldn't mind except they don't have my favorite shows on during those 3 weeks. PBS is the only station I watch , I can't stand other stations with their yucky shows. So I guess I will have to go to the library and get some books and DVDs. My library has 7 movies for 7 days deal. If I can find decent 7 movies that would be a miracle. I won't watch PG and other bad rated stuff so there is not much options there, also the movie has to be closed captioned for me since I am hearing impaired.

O.K., so I'm a bit emotional...
My husband, son, bro-in-law and nephew are out on a huge backpacking trip. The nephew is injured, feet covered in bloody blisters and something wrong with his achilles. They are exiting to the nearest trailhead/campground. When this happened, they were 15 miles away from an exit. They figured it would take them 4 days to get out because of the complications due to this injury. My sis-in-law are in different towns, but will meet at a turn-off on the highway, then continue in a two-car caravan to the site. We don't know the area, and I am quite nervous about the whole thing.
Heres the vent: I stopped by my church to ask for prayer from the pastor. He was too busy, couldn't even take one minute. He emailed me later, asked what I wanted on Sunday's prayer... I replied that that the guys needed prayers NOW, and gave him the details. He responded a day later (yesterday), mostly explaining that he was on his way to a meeting (justifying his busy-ness) and I could call him. NOT.
I also asked for prayers from gals that are in a bible study (that I started 2 years ago) that I attend. NO RESPONSE. One of them had expressed something on her facebook (about something she was going through), and I gave her support. I also sent a PM asking if she had seen my earlier prayer request, explained the situation. NO RESPONSE.
I'm so gullible and naive. Thinking these people cared. I really don't want to leave my church, for theological reasons, but sheesh....
Well, that's my rant.
I'm cleaning house today, will take off early in the morning to go do the rescue.

Cooking school vent: here's the turd frosting on a sh*t cake:
I just found out that our CARES tests that we took in our Bar and Bev. class were NEVER submitted for certification.
I've emailed the instructor, dean of students, as well as placed a phone call to the dean with this information. I was wondering about the results, so contacted the American Hotel and Lodging Ed Inst. directly and they told me that they have received NOTHING from that college or instructor.
This is one of many reasons I quit church a long time ago, Main reason there is a few stories I couldn't swallow, Anyways I'm sorry for what your going through and I hope everything turns out for you!

The best of luck Wyogal.

*rant* at PBS fund raising. They have this fund raising about 3 weeks long! I wouldn't mind except they don't have my favorite shows on during those 3 weeks. PBS is the only station I watch , I can't stand other stations with their yucky shows. So I guess I will have to go to the library and get some books and DVDs. My library has 7 movies for 7 days deal. If I can find decent 7 movies that would be a miracle. I won't watch PG and other bad rated stuff so there is not much options there, also the movie has to be closed captioned for me since I am hearing impaired.

I don't watch much tv myself.It's gotten just a little too raunchy for my tastes. Kind of stupid to have satellite,and only watch only 4channels..But I have to pay for a package to get my TCM,Food Network,History Channel,and Discovery.

You might like TCM (Turner Classic Movies). TCM Turner Classic Movies
They show nothing but great movies as they were intended to be seen.Non stop,no commercial interruptions.
Robert Osbourne is the night time host.He's a fantastic Narrator.It's not showtime if you miss his introduction about the up coming movie.The little things you find out about :)
But anyways TCM does have a monthly schedule.Find your movie,or request one.
Tonight's showing: Wuthering Heights (Love those Bronte' Sisters)
Gone With The Wind.

You could start recording your favorites.Build your owm classic library.

Munky.

I don't watch much tv myself.It's gotten just a little too raunchy for my tastes. Kind of stupid to have satellite,and only watch only 4channels..But I have to pay for a package to get my TCM,Food Network,History Channel,and Discovery.

You might like TCM (Turner Classic Movies). TCM Turner Classic Movies
They show nothing but great movies as they were intended to be seen.Non stop,no commercial interruptions.
Robert Osbourne is the night time host.He's a fantastic Narrator.It's not showtime if you miss his introduction about the up coming movie.The little things you find out about :)
But anyways TCM does have a monthly schedule.Find your movie,or request one.
Tonight's showing: Wuthering Heights (Love those Bronte' Sisters)
Gone With The Wind.

You could start recording your favorites.Build your owm classic library.

Munky.

I would if I could, TCM is not part of the basic cable. :ermm:

Crewsk,
Those scorpion stings do hurt, we used to have scorpions when we lived out in the country in Okla. I would make a paste with baking soda and a little water and put it on the sting and it would quit hurting right away. Also on fire ant stings you can use window cleaning spray and it quits stinging, sounds funny but does work.

You had a tough day, hang in there. So far so good for me.

Thanks. Yes, they got out, picked them up on Friday. The blisters are healing. He needs to figure out how to buy hiking boots that fit properly.
It was kind of weird. While I was sitting at the rest stop, waiting for my sis-in-law, the owner of a huge out of state Harley dealership was killed on that road. We thankfully missed the whole thing, but prayers go out to all involved.

OK, inspired by Brooksy's bad day yesterday I thought I would post this thread for folks to vent those petty things that make us nuts.

Mine is sewing related. My thread keeps breaking, my bobbin ran out and when I tried to refill it the stupid thing went flying somewhere across the room and the thread wound around the post instead. ARGH!:angry: So, I am here for a few minutes to regain my composure and stop swearing at the machine.

Oh boy do I hear you about that. I just brought my machine in for an over haul, the dang thread kept getting caught in the bobbin somehow and it was beginning to look like a spider web. I was not a happy sewer. I haven't used the machine since I got it fixed, I hope it works!

Oh boy do I hear you about that. I just brought my machine in for an over haul, the dang thread kept getting caught in the bobbin somehow and it was beginning to look like a spider web. I was not a happy sewer. I haven't used the machine since I got it fixed, I hope it works!
Ooooooo. Good luck! I personally think my machine is possessed. I haul it out every so often and every single time I do I end up swearing at it like a sailor. Sigh. I have such a guttermouth.

Ooooooo. Good luck! I personally think my machine is possessed. I haul it out every so often and every single time I do I end up swearing at it like a sailor. Sigh. I have such a guttermouth.

I swear these machines could insight a riot!:LOL:

it really pays to have sewing machine serviced every once in a while. especially as it get older. i have used the same sewing machine for twenty years. have it serviced about twice a year. even if nothing wrong, they clean out the parts we can't do. lint, thread , dust. you will learn to love it again.

it really pays to have sewing machine serviced every once in a while. especially as it get older. i have used the same sewing machine for twenty years. have it serviced about twice a year. even if nothing wrong, they clean out the parts we can't do. lint, thread , dust. you will learn to love it again.

That's good advice, I am going to do that too. It seems even though I hadn't used the machine much since the last servicing it needed it again. Dust is usually a problem here in the high desert.

Is this a rant thread as well?

Anyways I am not venting but I am ranting, Why is it so hard to pick a college that your going to spend 4+ years at? I've choosen about 6 colleges and each time I've choose a college it's gets harder to pick where I want to live.

I know I want to live in the southern states where there is no snow during the winter and Once I move I'm done moving.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is this a rant thread as well?

Anyways I am not venting but I am ranting, Why is it so hard to pick a college that your going to spend 4+ years at? I've chosen about 6 colleges and each time I've choose a college it's gets harder to pick where I want to live.

I know I want to live in the southern states where there is no snow during the winter and Once I move I'm done moving.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I can understand that this sort of decision has to be one that you want to make sure you get it right the first time. I have lived here going on 8 years now, so thought I'd share this with you.

You mentioned living in the southern states. Do you mind the humidity? I ask because I live in Albuquerque and we don't generally get any. We do get a lot of dry heat during the summer. This year it has been extreme. We have had 2.6 inches of rain since January and sun every single day. I heard the sun shines 325 days a year here, I think this year that was true. The temperatures have been very hot, hotter then usual this summer, so if you like the heat you'll love this area. As of yet, we haven't had a monsoon season this summer. There is generally no snow here, although we did get some in 2006, but I was told that was very unusual. We might get a dusting or two through out the winter but nothing much. The winters are chilly, but with the hot sun it does tend to warm up during the day, sometimes up to 50'F. So that's something to consider. Some parts of the state got a lot of rain but not Albuquerque. All in all the weather is fairly stable, no tornadoes at least.

If you are a Mexican food lover this would be the place to come. With the University of New Mexico (as well as all sorts of colleges) here; there are all sorts of restaurants you have to choose from. The food shopping is good...we have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and conventional super markets like Smith's and Albertsons. Also there are lots of fast food joints if you eat that sort of stuff as well. There is a fairly good bus system and the streets are getting more bike lanes all the time, though this is generally not a pedestrian friendly city.

There are a few wonderful attractions, the Albuquerque Aquarium, Albuquerque Zoo and Bio Park.

We also have the Albuquerque International Sunport. That's our airport and is a really nice one, not too big and it's easy to find your way to your plane with little trouble.

There aren't any big lakes around here. So if you're into swimming you might want to check into the public swimming pools. There are several around the city. There is Tingly Beach but you can't swim there, just fish.
Tingley Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entertainment is good and Albuquerque is fast becoming a place where many movies are made. I think California is moving east! So these are just some of the things that go on here. :chef:

I can understand that this sort of decision has to be one that you want to make sure you get it right the first time. I have lived here going on 8 years now, so thought I'd share this with you.

You mentioned living in the southern states. Do you mind the humidity? I ask because I live in Albuquerque and we don't generally get any. We do get a lot of dry heat during the summer. This year it has been extreme. We have had 2.6 inches of rain since January and sun every single day. I heard the sun shines 325 days a year here, I think this year that was true. The temperatures have been very hot, hotter then usual this summer, so if you like the heat you'll love this area. As of yet, we haven't had a monsoon season this summer. There is generally no snow here, although we did get some in 2006, but I was told that was very unusual. We might get a dusting or two through out the winter but nothing much. The winters are chilly, but with the hot sun it does tend to warm up during the day, sometimes up to 50'F. So that's something to consider. Some parts of the state got a lot of rain but not Albuquerque. All in all the weather is fairly stable, no tornadoes at least.

If you are a Mexican food lover this would be the place to come. With the University of New Mexico (as well as all sorts of colleges) here; there are all sorts of restaurants you have to choose from. The food shopping is good...we have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and conventional super markets like Smith's and Albertsons. Also there are lots of fast food joints if you eat that sort of stuff as well. There is a fairly good bus system and the streets are getting more bike lanes all the time, though this is generally not a pedestrian friendly city.

There are a few wonderful attractions, the Albuquerque Aquarium, Albuquerque Zoo and Bio Park.

We also have the Albuquerque International Sunport. That's our airport and is a really nice one, not too big and it's easy to find your way to your plane with little trouble.

There aren't any big lakes around here. So if you're into swimming you might want to check into the public swimming pools. There are several around the city. There is Tingly Beach but you can't swim there, just fish.
Tingley Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entertainment is good and Albuquerque is fast becoming a place where many movies are made. I think California is moving east! So these are just some of the things that go on here. :chef:
Hi Jo, May I call you Jo for short?

The reason I want a southern state is for the humility, I've noticed every time I go from the northern states to the southern states I can breath better, I can do everything better, and I've gone to the southern states long enough I can tell from experience.

I can actually walk 2-3 miles longer for some reason I'm not as tired as I would be in a northern state, So I've decided that the big move is going to be a southern state I am Familiar with and that would be Florida, I just hope I get to see a lot of gators, bugs, and others I'm interested in for black & white photography. Right now I've picked Winter Park Fl, It has everything I want in a town and in college.

By the way Jo, Thank you very much about the tips for Mexican food, That will be another consideration. but with the swine flu still going, I'm not sure Texas/Mexico would be the right state/towns since that's where it originated from.

Hi Jo, May I call you Jo for short?

The reason I want a southern state is for the humility, I've noticed every time I go from the northern states to the southern states I can breath better, I can do everything better, and I've gone to the southern states long enough I can tell from experience.

I can actually walk 2-3 miles longer for some reason I'm not as tired as I would be in a northern state, So I've decided that the big move is going to be a southern state I am Familiar with and that would be Florida, I just hope I get to see a lot of gators, bugs, and others I'm interested in for black & white photography. Right now I've picked Winter Park Fl, It has everything I want in a town and in college.

By the way Jo, Thank you very much about the tips for Mexican food, That will be another consideration. but with the swine flu still going, I'm not sure Texas/Mexico would be the right state/towns since that's where it originated from.

Certainly you may call me Jo, all my friends do...:chef:

Well I am glad that you have decided on one of the southern states you will be happy in. I've never been to Florida myself, but would love to see it some day, and I am sure you will find some good eats in Florida as well. I hear Cuban food is pretty tasty too.

Good Luck, I hope you will have a wonderful time and education while there.

Certainly you may call me Jo, all my friends do...:chef:

Well I am glad that you have decided on one of the southern states you will be happy in. I've never been to Florida myself, but would love to see it some day, and I am sure you will find some good eats in Florida as well. I hear Cuban food is pretty tasty too.

Good Luck, I hope you will have a wonderful time and education while there.
Thank you Jo, You know what? I've never had Cuban but I can give it a try, I always love to try new food but my forte is Mexican / Texmex food though.

But I'm curious though, Why can I breath better in a humid state? and can do everything better in a southern state?

Thank you Jo, You know what? I've never had Cuban but I can give it a try, I always love to try new food but my forte is Mexican / Texmex food though.

But I'm curious though, Why can I breath better in a humid state? and can do everything better in a southern state?

You know I have no clue, usually people find it harder to breath in humidity as opposed to the dry climates. I don't know why the south works better for you then the north either, it's a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom