"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #2241
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Hopefully she wont be invited back?
I get really upset about stuff like that... makes me not even want to go anywhere sometimes just cuz i cant stand rude snotty people, which seem to be a dime a dozen these days.
Well, one of the other people had played with Greta before and had mentioned how nervous she made her when she played ..........there's no excuse for her snotty behaviour----she knew that we were not experienced players and for her to say that to me after one game???????? Revenge was sweet---but that's not how we usually play---we normally cheer each other on for winning---noone is cheered for making the other team lose their bid but today there was a silent party going on let me tell you!!! God, life is too short to get that stupid over a card game. There are far more serious matters.........

Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #2242
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
That's sad, Bilby---people are funny as you say. I've only dropped two friends in the last couple of years-------one for being so pathologically stingy even though she's rolling in $$$ (and we're talking several million) (the story of how she treated her father's stepchildren who had nothing-- and tried to sell me their mother's modest ring instead of giving it back to them for a keepsake--the other was brewing for a long time. I hope that things will get back to normal for her.
thanks Expat but she is well and truly over it now. Dad will have been dead for 25 years next Saturday! she has new friends now.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #2243
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
when my dad died, almost all of the friends that mum and dad had, dropped mum. The really strange part in that is that the women were the ones who were the main friends in the groupings. People are generally all strange in their own ways and most of the time we never understand why someone does what they did. Still can annoy the bones out of you. Not to mention how hurtful it is to lose friends whether for a good reason or no reason. give it time and all might revert to normal again, - if you are still interested.
Bilby, what happened to you mom, was mean, rude and hurtful..Your mother probably wondered what she did..I've seen it over and over..The other women are like school girls protecting what is theirs!!! In other words, your mom could maybe steal a DH away..Like she'd even think of it..But most of the time men tend to think your helpless and want to help you and the gang of women cannot understand that..That is til heaven forbid they are in your mom's place..Your mom bless her must be on nice lady..Give her a hug for me. I can't hug mine anymore, so I pass them to others mom's

kades
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #2244
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Bilby, what happened to you mom, was mean, rude and hurtful..Your mother probably wondered what she did..I've seen it over and over..The other women are like school girls protecting what is theirs!!! In other words, your mom could maybe steal a DH away..Like she'd even think of it..But most of the time men tend to think your helpless and want to help you and the gang of women cannot understand that..That is til heaven forbid they are in your mom's place..Your mom bless her must be on nice lady..Give her a hug for me. I can't hug mine anymore, so I pass them to others mom's

kades
You would think people would do the opposite by embracing the one who is going thru a hard time. I guess that says a lot about some people you thought were a good friend. I guess that's where the "fair weather friends" comes in, it's funny you would never in a million years expect such callous behavior until it actually happens. Shame on all of them.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #2245
Executive Chef

Thanks Kades. That's exactly what mum thought was happening. Stupid thing is these people had all been friends for best part of two decades! well shot of em in my opinion. Of course mum could have done with the support then.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #2246
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
You would think people would do the opposite by embracing the one who is going thru a hard time. I guess that says a lot about some people you thought were a good friend. I guess that's where the "fair weather friends" comes in, it's funny you would never in a million years expect such callous behavior until it actually happens. Shame on all of them.
very true JP
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #2247
Master Chef

I'm so glad to hear that your "mum" has moved on and has better than "fair-weathered" friends........she's lucky to have you looking out for her best interests :)
Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #2248
Executive Chef

you know Bilby, people are strange. you can't try to figure them out. I've wondered many times why people are cut from the cloth they are, but then, if we were all alike, that'd be difficult too. I say take your mum out for a wonderful brunch and talk about the fun times...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #2249
Executive Chef

Actually I had a chat about this with mum on the weekend. It is such a long time ago now, she can only remember the one couple, although she remember a couple more lots that I didn't think of and don't really count as they were dad's friends from work, so that wasn't that odd in my opinion. We did have a good laugh about it.

At the moment, she is staying with my brother on the ocean down south. She will be with them for dad's anniversary. I have debated about reminding my brother but don't want to offend him if he has remembered. [Some of his memories are a little hit or miss I find but I expect that is mainly from being the boy in the family and not anticipating while he was growing up that he would need to know any dates! LOL Times have changed somewhat!! ;-)] I figured that if he hasn't remembered, I will just take mum out when she gets back the next day. And if he did, well that's good. This is always ignoring that my mother has a voice and knows how to use it if she wants to!! ;-)
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #2250
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I say take your mum out for a wonderful brunch and talk about the fun times...
Actually, we usually go out for lunch on dad's birthday, their wedding anniversary and the anniversary of his death. We normally get something with a few bubbles in and toast him. We don't just remember the good times. We are a warts and all kind of family.

I was in hospital for last year's anniversary, so we went out around Father's Day instead and put our small lottery winning towards a very expensive, not to mention very long, lunch. It was divine! Mind you would have been completely wasted on dad who would probably preferred steak and chips with rhubarb and apple pie with custard for dessert!! You get that!