"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #2331
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks everyone for your input. First I just want to clear something up JP, I am not sure where this came up but she isn't pregnant at the moment. Anyway, we are going to my doctor tomorrow morning. She is connected with a different hospital than the one we were going to so if anything is needed in that way we will be going someplace different, which is totally fine with me.

I do plan to call the hospital in question and report the fact that a doctor was reading tests that didn't belong to my daughter and I want someone else to read the CT scan to be sure of the results. One thing about me is I can be very angry but I can also control it when talking to people to get what I want.

She is feeling better today though definitely not well. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #2332
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
LP, I also wanted to to tell you that if it's appendicitis it's not fixed by morphine, an Iv or Ct it is something that is removed immediatley by surgery before it has a chance to erupt. I am not a doctor but I have never ever heard of this kind of treatment for appendicitis. I have yet to get this but know people who have and I'm sure there are some here that have had it it's not something to mess with. As I said before you need to become a Bull Dog and get to the bottom of this.
These items were not the treatment for it. The morphine was to give her a bit of relief, the IV was inserted in preparation for surgery and the CT scan was to make sure it was indeed the appendix. When I was typing last night I was very tired, frustrated and probably didn't word things properly.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #2333
Executive Chef

No worries LP I thought she was pregnant must have been another post which is why I was so concerned. Even so I was very worried with what you were saying. But still I'm glad I threw out my 2 cents worth maybe it will help someone else down the road.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #2334
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Babe, I don't know about where you live, but here we have city by-law officers who are there to help keep the city rules and you can call them for items like noise, neighbor's pets, illegally parked cars, etc. If you don't have this, then call the non-emergency number of your local police station and report it. They may not do anything the first time, but if you and enough other people register complaints they certainly will check it out.

I hope this helps.
thank you so much. i will give it a try. they are also running a landscaping business out of their home. as many as six trucks and cars there everyday. have not wanted to make a big deal out of that, everyone has to eat. and at least they are working. may have to do same thing about this.

babe
Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #2335
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
thank you so much. i will give it a try. they are also running a landscaping business out of their home. as many as six trucks and cars there everyday. have not wanted to make a big deal out of that, everyone has to eat. and at least they are working. may have to do same thing about this.

babe
One can be leverage over the other, assuming you can communicate adequately with them. Just explain to them that if they don't stop with the noise, you will have to lodge complaints, the law will get involved, and lawyers, and of course the city will take a closer look at them, and their business, and what permits they are lacking.
Then suggest perhaps them quieting down would be a much simpler and more equitable solution for both of you.
Failing that, what other choice do you have? If you try to solve the problem equitably but they won't co-operate or insist on being rude or insensitive then they have boxed you into a corner. That makes them responsible if you are forced to file complaints and it has a secondary effect of harming their business. People are responsible for their own actions.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #2336
Certified Cake Maniac

Yes, Mav, thanks for adding this. No one wants to call the authorities if you don't have to, but doing it this way you put the onus on them.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #2337
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
These items were not the treatment for it. The morphine was to give her a bit of relief, the IV was inserted in preparation for surgery and the CT scan was to make sure it was indeed the appendix. When I was typing last night I was very tired, frustrated and probably didn't word things properly.
Laurie,
I don't know what to say, is there another hospital within driving distance you can go to? Or is there a patient bill of rights you can enforce in order to get more tests done and another opinion rendered?
This all reminds me of my experience a couple of months ago with our ER, funny thing is it took a nurse from Britain (here on an exchange program) speaking up to get them to do additional tests that resulted in them finding out I had had a heart attack.
The American nurses will not, for the life of them, give out any information or make any kind of suggestion or offer any kind of opinion for fear of reprisal from the doctors and higher-ups.
I don't like that policy, especially since doctors can be overworked, understaffed, tired, flippant, etc. which may lead to experiences like your daughters and mine.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #2338
Executive Chef

Wow Laurie. Hope Tara is correctly diagnosed soon. I know I always confuse the doctors cos I don't usually present with typical symptoms. (They were using my case history of kidney failure as a test for interns - and last I heard, none of them ever get me right!) I always tell doctors that I am not "average" and to apply the "Penny Factor"! The doctors that know me well now know this to be true but they all doubt me at first and think they know my body better! (Before I was (correctly) diagnosed with kidney failure, one idiot of a locum decided that my severe pain, nausea and other symptoms were due to a bad case of wind!!!!! Scary bit is he is still probably practising medicine somewhere out there.....)

Babe, noise is a pain in a neighbourhood. Can't help you past the advice you have already been given. I have a really good ability in being able to block most of it out most of the time. Trucks - I live on a loop road and in a trucking suburb. The trucks that live in my street for some reason always feel the need to drive all around the loop every time irrespective of their location near to the entrance. Drives me insane sometimes, esp when it is in the middle of the night as their lights shine right into my bedroom (I am on the cusp of the loop). It's like a scene from "Close Encounters"! Every so often I feel beligerant enough to want to take it up with the council (cos I bet most haven't got a permit to bring their trucks home) but as I flout the council bylaws with the number of cats that I have, I try to just ignore it. Most of the time it works well that way.

Terry, how awful if it is due to the drugs! But at the same time at least you would have an answer. The stress of the situation with your mum is awful but it is good that you were able to have a good bawl! You get such a relief from it!! It helps you draw breath and tackle life's challenges afresh.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #2339
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Mav and Bilby.

Tara went to my doctor today and she ordered a whole series of tests at a different hospital (one she works out of), including the ultrasound that was never done. She has agreed to take Tara on as a patient and is very concerned about her condition. The doctor assured us that it couldn't possibly be colitis, which I knew and made Tara feel much better.

Thanks everyone and I apologize for this taking up so much of this thread.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #2340
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's what we are here for.!!