"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

Sliced my finger doing potatoes with my Oxo peeler - right on the very tip, where it's hard to keep a bandaid on. I've got two on now and altho the dripping has stopped, I just know it'll turn into a gusher if I take them off.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #232
Master Chef

Dang mudbug, BE CAREFUL!!
I sliced the tip of mine off on my slicer that I got from PC. It wasn't bad, but, seeing the tip of my finger, I got a little whoozy!! lol
Now when I go to one of the parties and they show the slicer, all of my family look at me and start laughing, big meanies!!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #233
Executive Chef

When I was in 7th grade, in home economics, I sewed my finger. I remember going up to the teacher with a needle pointing out of both ends of my finger and she freaked! It wasn't the first time that had happened in her class, I didn't think it was a big deal but it was treated as a big deal! Sorry I hope I didn't gross you guys out...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #234
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to 240brickman Send a message via Yahoo to 240brickman
speaking of accidentally mutilating oneself...

When I was about 18, while I still lived in NY, I worked in the deli department of a supermarket. It was only for 6 or 7 months, after which I/we moved to PA.

I was slicing (on one of those professional-grade deli slicers) some pepperoni, for one of our regular customers. I was being a little careless (obviously)...talking to the customer, over my shoulder...shooting the breeze. All-of-a-sudden-like, I thought someone had whacked me in my lower back. Maybe one of my co-workers goofing around. Turns out, it was just the "shock wave" from cutting off the top of my (right) thumb. Diagonally, right through the nail (didn't reach bone, though).

It didn't hurt (not right away), and I was the ONLY one in the deli that DIDN'T panic. They hustled me into the back room, and (after thorough washing) sprayed a bunch of that Derma Plast onto my thumb, and THEN wrapped me in several layers of gauze, etc. For the rest of my shift, I sort of sat around, watching everyone else work (I had to wait another couple of hours before I could go home...my ride was one of my co-workers).

I never did receive any professional medical attention; I just waited patiently for it to heal (which it did; my thumb now looks good-as-new). Took several months for it to heal up completely, though.

I should also mention (why not---everyone's cringing already) that I offered a reward of $20 (a princely sum in those days) for the return of the lost piece of my thumb. Nope, no takers

--J

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/103...75_1037746.jpg
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #235
Executive Chef

Mudbug, were you using the protective handle? The only times I've ever hurt myself was when I tried to bypass that. Those little slices take a while to heal.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #236
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240brickman
speaking of accidentally mutilating oneself...

When I was about 18, while I still lived in NY, I worked in the deli department of a supermarket. It was only for 6 or 7 months, after which I/we moved to PA.

I was slicing (on one of those professional-grade deli slicers) some pepperoni, for one of our regular customers. I was being a little careless (obviously)...talking to the customer, over my shoulder...shooting the breeze. All-of-a-sudden-like, I thought someone had whacked me in my lower back. Maybe one of my co-workers goofing around. Turns out, it was just the "shock wave" from cutting off the top of my (right) thumb. Diagonally, right through the nail (didn't reach bone, though).

It didn't hurt (not right away), and I was the ONLY one in the deli that DIDN'T panic. They hustled me into the back room, and (after thorough washing) sprayed a bunch of that Derma Plast onto my thumb, and THEN wrapped me in several layers of gauze, etc. For the rest of my shift, I sort of sat around, watching everyone else work (I had to wait another couple of hours before I could go home...my ride was one of my co-workers).

I never did receive any professional medical attention; I just waited patiently for it to heal (which it did; my thumb now looks good-as-new). Took several months for it to heal up completely, though.

I should also mention (why not---everyone's cringing already) that I offered a reward of $20 (a princely sum in those days) for the return of the lost piece of my thumb. Nope, no takers

--J
I couldn't even read all of this through. OUCH!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #237
Executive Chef

I didn't read it either - the first couple of lines did it for me! Anybody's blood makes me big time queasy! I have passed out from seeing my own when cut.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #238
Everymom

I am glad to know I am not the only one who has lost a piece of myself to those danged blades of torture. I lost a piece of my thumb a while back...and I was using the stupid holder thingy. My hands were wet though, and whoops! There it went.

mudbug, there is a kind of second skin stuff you can buy at a pharmacy. It sticks anywhere and is like another layer of skin. It holds onto fingertips WAY better than a bandaid. I used it til my thumb healed up. You have my sympathies
Old 12-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #239
Hospitality Queen

and how did I EVER miss this thread???

I can't even begin to gripe, but I will say that my phone company has a combined IQ of 4, my gardeners have "forgotten" to service my yards after I gave them their early Christmas bonus, and my house keeps being invaded by troops of stupid ants. Yes, I know ants are smart little things, but these beasties bypass the sugar and go straight for the bathrooms and closets!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:58 PM   #240
Everymom

EWWWW! That is just unhappy! I feel for you jkath.

Closed Thread