"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #2461
Sous Chef

Thank you Babe and Laurie -this isn't the first time we have done renovations to this old house (rancher built in 1953) but, this is the first time I can remember sooo many things going wrong and we didn't even gut anything!!! I think I'm alittle more anxious about this project because it won't be finished before Jimmy's surgery (all kinds of reparation to the hip socket and it's cartilidge without being a full blown replacement and reduction of the femur).Back in March it seemed like a good project to take on to keep his mind off of things but, I guess it was stupidity on our part.There is good news- the new area rug arrived yesterday-holeless!!!:)Eventually it will be finished and we'll forget about all the delays and get ourselves into something else!!!Thanks again! Love and energy, Vicki

Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #2462
Master Chef

I'm trying to burn my digital photos to dvd and the stupid software keeps giving me error message and therefore the dvd is wasted, it is a coaster! I really hate wasting dvds , they are not cheap. Once an error message shows up in the middle of burning the dvd, that is it, cannot burn further and it is ruined.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #2463
Certified Cake Maniac

LadyCook, will your software let you save your project to your hard drive and then you can burn the DVD from there? I do this when I am burning several DVD's of the same thing and it goes faster. This might eliminate the error.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #2464
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
LadyCook, will your software let you save your project to your hard drive and then you can burn the DVD from there? I do this when I am burning several DVD's of the same thing and it goes faster. This might eliminate the error.
The photos are on the hard drive. I rebooted the pc and it works okay now.
I usually back up all the photos to the hard drive, then to DVDs and to external hard drive.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #2465
Certified Cake Maniac

I am glad it is working now. However what I meant was not just having the photos on the hard drive, but you can save "Project" or "image" (depending on the software) as it will go onto the disc so you don't have to keep dragging and dropping every time you want to make that same disc. It also helps speed things up if you have a lot going on the disc or you are making several the same.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #2466
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am glad it is working now. However what I meant was not just having the photos on the hard drive, but you can save "Project" or "image" (depending on the software) as it will go onto the disc so you don't have to keep dragging and dropping every time you want to make that same disc. It also helps speed things up if you have a lot going on the disc or you are making several the same.
What I do is transfer the photos, using a card reader, from the camera into a folder to the desktop, then I burn the folder to the dvd, no dragging and dropping I understand what you mean. Thanks for your input.

LadyCook
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #2467
Executive Chef

LadyCook, you might consider burning them to CDs instead of DVDs. The blank CDs are much cheaper than blank DVDs, but hold way less. So it would depend on how many pics you take and how big your jpegs are. Is your camera super high res?

Are you sure it's the software, also? I've noticed that certain brands of blank DVDs have more "bad" discs than others. I've noticed in particular that when I use Memorex (one of the least expensive brands), I almost never have a coaster. But I got a spindle of HP brand and I've had at least 5 or 6 out of the 50. I also noticed a higher fail rate with Sony, although not as high as the HP. I don't know if it also has to do with which brand of burner you have, too.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #2468
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
LadyCook, you might consider burning them to CDs instead of DVDs. The blank CDs are much cheaper than blank DVDs, but hold way less. So it would depend on how many pics you take and how big your jpegs are. Is your camera super high res?

Are you sure it's the software, also? I've noticed that certain brands of blank DVDs have more "bad" discs than others. I've noticed in particular that when I use Memorex (one of the least expensive brands), I almost never have a coaster. But I got a spindle of HP brand and I've had at least 5 or 6 out of the 50. I also noticed a higher fail rate with Sony, although not as high as the HP. I don't know if it also has to do with which brand of burner you have, too.
I take hundreds of pics, my CF cards hold 4 gigs each . I use high res and sometimes tiff files. I use Verbatim dvd discs, bought at Sam's club.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #2469
Executive Chef

Getting back to KADESINA, # 2455. I agree. Well said.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #2470
Sous Chef

My computer has been totally dead for almost a week and I have been cut off from the world! I never knew how much I rely on that thing--particularly the internet! My brilliant computer programmer husband has been working on it but waiting for parts, etc. His pride won't let him admit it's a gonner so I have to wait for him to eliminate every little thing before I can convince him to buy me a laptop. (Our computer is a monster because he insists on having so much memory--no desk space--can't take it upstairs to the kids rooms or my room). I have had to sneak a few minutes in the evening on his work laptop in order to make this post. But hopefully soon I will be back online.

Closed Thread