"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #2521
Head Chef

It's lovely to have a place like this to vent about stupid stuff, as well as important stuff.

Here's my latest pet peeve about something stupid: I hate the expression "It is what it is".

I guess people think it sounds wise and accepting, but it's so trite that it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Lee

Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #2522
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I am truly going to vent now so be forewarned.

I had another of my bad nights where I only got a couple of hours of broken sleep and was up at 6 AM to feed our border and his family before they left and then get to cleaning the room for our new border who arrived at 3 PM this afternoon. That is not the vent (though the lack of sleep is not great, but I am getting used to it).

About 2:30 this afternoon as I am waiting for DH and the border to arrive, the business phone rings. I was going to let the machine get it as I was taking the weekend off but decided I should answer it. I no sooner say hello and this woman on the other end is swearing at me every word in the book and telling me that she is going to make sure my business licence is taken away, blah, blah, blah. I ask what this is all about and she says she has been waiting an hour and a half for the catered food she ordered for her daughter's bridal shower.

I purposely did not book anything for this weekend because of the border change and didn't even recognize the name or the voice.

But she was relentless, saying she booked well in advance and had gotten my name from a friend who highly recommended me. I checked my scheduler and confirmed I had nothing booked for this woman.....ever! But she would not let up. Then she mentioned the name of "my" company, and guess what! It wasn't my company, but another caterer all together.

Well, she just hung up. No apology, no anything. She just slammed the phone in my ear.

I now have her name in my book - under people never to do business with.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #2523
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
It's lovely to have a place like this to vent about stupid stuff, as well as important stuff.

Here's my latest pet peeve about something stupid: I hate the expression "It is what it is".

I guess people think it sounds wise and accepting, but it's so trite that it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Lee
I also hate, "We shall see what we shall see" you think??
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #2524
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay, I am truly going to vent now so be forewarned.

I had another of my bad nights where I only got a couple of hours of broken sleep and was up at 6 AM to feed our border and his family before they left and then get to cleaning the room for our new border who arrived at 3 PM this afternoon. That is not the vent (though the lack of sleep is not great, but I am getting used to it).

About 2:30 this afternoon as I am waiting for DH and the border to arrive, the business phone rings. I was going to let the machine get it as I was taking the weekend off but decided I should answer it. I no sooner say hello and this woman on the other end is swearing at me every word in the book and telling me that she is going to make sure my business licence is taken away, blah, blah, blah. I ask what this is all about and she says she has been waiting an hour and a half for the catered food she ordered for her daughter's bridal shower.

I purposely did not book anything for this weekend because of the border change and didn't even recognize the name or the voice.

But she was relentless, saying she booked well in advance and had gotten my name from a friend who highly recommended me. I checked my scheduler and confirmed I had nothing booked for this woman.....ever! But she would not let up. Then she mentioned the name of "my" company, and guess what! It wasn't my company, but another caterer all together.

Well, she just hung up. No apology, no anything. She just slammed the phone in my ear.

I now have her name in my book - under people never to do business with.
At least you have her name if she does ever call for your business!! How RUDE!!!! Makes you want to call her back, doesn't it!!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #2525
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Laurie, I would have hung up on her in the middle of her yelling and screaming fit! HOW RUDE!!!!!! And how dang mean of her.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #2526
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Laurie, do you have caller ID??
gimme the number.... I'll pay the international fee to RAIL ON HER .......

:)
love ya!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #2527
Master Chef

that lady sounds wacky, laurie.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #2528
Chef Extraordinaire

Laurie, I can take a lot of guff, but scream at me like that..I'm afraid she would have a hard time hearing for about 6 months..Neighbor who is a retired police detective, gave me a whistle and said pucker up and blow if you get one of those!!! Sorry you had to put up with that.

kades
Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #2529
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, everyone. I am usually good at dealing with calls like that, and soliciation calls, but I think because I was tired, and it was regarding my business which I have worked hard to gain a good reputation, I was taken totally off guard. But, yes, I do have her name and number and I was thinking I would phone up the company she DID order from and order a whole bunch of food to be delivered to her with payment on delivery! I can block my number on my home phone so they won't know where the call came from.....
Nah, but it sounds good!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #2530
Executive Chef

I recalled this venting thread and I need to! I'm going to sound like a country and western song here, but we put our dog to sleep on May 12 because of cancer, and my husband (age 37) wants a divorce because he is now with a 20 year old girl. He just moved out today to an apartment with her. It's been a lovely several months for me. We are not even divorced, so imagine my mind set right now and for the past several months. I dont know how I've survived. I dont work, he does, and he wont pay for anything. What a guy huh?

My sister is here visiting me for moral support, and I'll get strong again and figure out what to do about it all. Thanks for listening.