"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #2571
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My baby Nemo eggs are gone. :(
Maybe they'll have more again sometime.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #2572
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I've done the same but either with a knife or a mandoline. Here is a good trick take a womens mini pad and cut it to size, clean cut and cover with neosporine or the old fashioned Bag Balm ( my personal choice)cover with the cut piece and wrap with tape. The wound will not stick to pad then change once a day. EMTs use these pads large and small for major bleeding accidents and swear by them.
Omigosh, jp! You're on to it. I'm going to have to scour the house for mini pads, etc. Great idea. The Band-Aids just aren't cuttin' it. This idea should get me through the night without messin' up my fresh sheets. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #2573
Master Chef

oh, my, yeah. my nurse instructed me to place a pad over my feeding tube opening when 'twas leaky (called a stoma & they leak!!!!!!!!!!)
i was like, 'huh?'
she was like 'yeah, a pad, like put a quarter in a machine, a pad.'
so someone gave me a pad & i taped that over & that worked better than gauze, hear me when i say that!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #2574
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I know have vented a lot lately but I am just having a really emotional day.

My DH works at a recovery house and I have gotten to know some of the guys there and you try not to get involved, but your heart just goes out to them because they are trying their hardest. Well, one of the guys left the house today because of frustrations and Tony talked him to coming here just until he figured out what he was going to do. He seemed happy to be here and was "just going out for awhile"; however, all of his stuff is here and we have heard nothing from him since before noon. DH went looking for him, but there was no sign. My heart is just breaking for him but there is nothing I can do but pray.

At the same time, DD asked last night if she could move home because things aren't going well with her family again. Also, she and her BF have both been finally diagnosed today with a bacterial infection which is contageous and doesn't react well to most anti-biotics. He is in the hospital and hates them. He is so afraid he isn't going to make it and she has to be with him 24/7 but is not well herself.

We are getting used to a new border who is really nice, but there are always hiccups in the beginning. He isn't like the last one in both good and bad ways.

Plus, the appointment I had to see a surgeon about my knee got cancelled yesterday due to an emergency surgery (it is rebooked for next week). I know it can't be helped, but my knee is getting worse and I was so looking forward to getting something started finally.

I guess I am just exhausted physically and emotionally and all of this is just taking it's toll. Thanks for listening to me once again.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #2575
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
vent away! COme on over to the chat room.. .we're there.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #2576
Master Chef

Sooo, this means they were right all along in that it wasn't the appendix? Kinda sounds like an infection I got that started on my face and wound up in my ear, blew it up like a cauliflower. Had to spend a week in the hospital waiting while they slowly got it back down to normal. It was resistant to the common anti-biotics as well. Worst part is being quarantined so I can't see my kids at all, and with no babysitter or anyone to watch the kids didn't see much of DW either...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #2577
Certified Cake Maniac

I am very sorry to hear that, Maverick.

No, they are still not positive her appendix isn't part of it and her BF also has chest pains that they haven't figured out yet. It is just getting so soap-operaish (the doctor stuff, not the kids), that I am really getting frazzled by the whole thing. I hurt for her on so many levels right now, and yet I also have my own stuff to deal with.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #2578
Executive Chef

OK friends, I got some very spooky lab reports yesterday that indicates I have a specific gene that puts me at extremely high risk for heart disease and my labs (that were done as part of this study) were almost all off the charts which indicates I almost certainly already have atherosclerosis (coronary artery disease). I have an appt. tomorrow to get started on meds and I don't know what all else. Does anybody else have this? I am like the healthiest person I know - really. Until this, no chronic illness or conditions. It's really shocking to me that there is stuff going on inside that I had no idea was happening.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #2579
Executive Chef

Oh man, Laurie, a drug-resistant infection is so scary. Not only that, it may very well not be the thing that made your daughter sick in the first place. This may be something she picked up in the hospital trying to find out what her original problem was/is. Hospitals are the #1 source of resistant infections. How is she feeling right now?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #2580
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
OK friends, I got some very spooky lab reports yesterday that indicates I have a specific gene that puts me at extremely high risk for heart disease and my labs (that were done as part of this study) were almost all off the charts which indicates I almost certainly already have atherosclerosis (coronary artery disease). I have an appt. tomorrow to get started on meds and I don't know what all else. Does anybody else have this? I am like the healthiest person I know - really. Until this, no chronic illness or conditions. It's really shocking to me that there is stuff going on inside that I had no idea was happening.
Terry,I know you will think oh shut up, but, relax and just go with what the doc says..Remember what I said about meds? Just pm me and we can go from there..Don't be afraid and the last thing you need to do is worry, your heart is most likely fine right now, just take your meds and keep as calm as possible..What you have is something that is all over the world..You will handle it just fine..I have blood pressure problems, that is what caused my kidneys to fail..The doctor said that my heart was so strong, he couldn't believe it at first..So we trade one thing for another..
MY dh is so good at explaining to me and it sure helps..It also takes away some of that gut wrenching fear..Let all of us help you as much as we can..If you have a specific question, and want me to, I'll ask dh..Rest, be calm, sit back and enjoy those beautiful children of yours..
hugs to you ,
cj