"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #2771
Master Chef

a friend of mine who had 3 miscarriages told me what it was like to be on antidepressants: your lows aren't so low but your highs aren't so high either...she had to be on them for 6 months.......she then went into early menopause at the ripe old age of 37......so it was not meant to be.......she probably could never have carried a baby to full term no matter what and thank goodness that she was able to have the boy and girl that she did who are my godchildren and doing wonderfully in their adult lives....gave their parents gray hairs but what teen doesn't these days? So, I guess antid. are designed not to make the lows so low and the highs not so high

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #2772
Head Chef

I am so sick of hot flashes!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #2773
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
That does NOT sound like fun during a Georgia summer Mama!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #2774
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I am so sick of hot flashes!!!!!!!!!!
Mama, I thought I was over my hot flashes a year ago and they just started up again a few months ago. I coudn't figure it out because my hormone gel wasn't helping and it just didn't make sense that I was having them.

Then I was visiting my terminally ill friend who is only 33 years old. We were talking about our constant pain and she out of the blue asked if I get hot flashes. I said yes and she said that her doctor told her that it is a body reaction to the the pain. The body does not know what to do with this intense constant symptom so it treats it like an infection and heats up.

At least I know why they are back, but on top of the intense pain it doesn't make me feel any better.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #2775
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I am kinda in the same place In The Kitchen is, emotions are deadened and I can't really feel anything right now. Woke up late, did manage to get to the laundry mat to get some clothes done for the kids as they were out of clean clothes. Now I am back home and should start supper but haven't.... I am just tired and don't feel like doing much except sleeping or laying down.
I know it is because my sugar is high, and I am in a depressed cycle, so my mood is all over the place. One minute high as a kite, the next curled up in a ball wanting to die. I was supposed to get my meds in order again to start taking them, DW made sure I got em this morning, but I am not taking the Cymbalta at the moment and I really should be. Funny thing is when I am on it I don't think it is working, but when I go off it I suddenly realize it was. I can take it at night so I will start it tonight and hopefully DW will be there to make sure I stay on em this time...
This is just terrible and no one is responsible except your mind and body! I had to take my brother to ER room four times and they couldn't find out what was wrong until one of the doc's on duty suggested he go to mental ward to be watched. That night I visited him, he told me he hoped he wouldn't see the sun shine tomorrow and that I shouldn't come back again. Talk about experience. They took my purse and checked to make sure nothing in pockets, sign in and out. Really lesson I hope no one has to go through for me. After medication prescription, he sure changed. Acts normal again and here it was his mind the whole time.

Last night I drank some wine and was afraid to take the pills. Says not to take any alcohol with meds. YOu think they include wine. I love wine, relaxes me. What upsets me is I am wearing capri pants now and they show my legs which are surrounded with varicose veins. People in the public do not look at me they stare at my legs! Not glance, stare until they pass me. Who wouldn't get depressed when they do that. I can't wear long dress everyday too hot. One woman asked if I had tattoo on my leg! I could have tore her hair out. People so dumb, appreciate my dogs all the more. I look at people but not look for flaws. I know my friend got upset that I don't notice when they lose weight. that isn't important to me. Mom raised us to consider inner rather than outer person.

Sorry if I changed this thread again. Guess I better drink some more wine to make me feel okay. I asked doctor if wine is good for you and he said yes but didn't say anything about taking medicine with it.

Sorry Mav hope you know we are in t he same boat. When you get tired of paddlin' I'll be glad to take over.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #2776
Certified Cake Maniac

In The Kitchen, PLEASE DO NOT mix anti-depressants with alcohol of any kind, specially not wine (red in particular for some reason)!!!!!

The pills are designed to bring you up and alcohol is a depressant. You will feel good for about 15 minutes and then plummet into a worse depression.

I am talking from much experience here and only want the best for you!!!!!!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #2777
Master Chef

yes, pleas don't mix, inthe kitchen. very dangerous. mixing can supress respiration.
i love my wine too, though i won't mix, i make a choice & weigh my options.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #2778
Executive Chef

Help

You mean if I am taking these pills, I have to stop drinking the wine completely? I drink when I am fixing the meals as it tends to make me feel better about the cooking. I normally t ake the depression pills after supper. Can I drink the wine before supper?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #2779
Master Chef

i can't answer that; i'd ask your doc.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #2780
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The pills don't just work right after you take them. They build up in your system. Whenever you ask your doctor if something is safe, make sure you mention all the medications (prescription and OTC) that you are taking.

It will not replace your doctor's advice, but I found the site Drugs.com | Prescription Drugs - Information, Interactions & Side Effects to be a really good place to check out drug interactions. They show interactions with other medications, herbal remedies, and foods. From what I understand, a lot of doctors use the site. I was considering trying a couple herbal remedies and found out one of them had terrible reactions (including death) to almost everything, including dairy products.

Barbara