"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #2781
Executive Chef

thanks luvs! appreciate your quick response. I can't ask on the phone have to wait till appointment 06/26. Doctor always tells me to ask questions at appointment. Until then guess it is okay to drink before rather than after the pill

Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #2782
Master Chef

you're welcome!
well, get to that appointment!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #2783
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
thanks luvs! appreciate your quick response. I can't ask on the phone have to wait till appointment 06/26. Doctor always tells me to ask questions at appointment. Until then guess it is okay to drink before rather than after the pill
Why can't you ask on the phone? Don't just assume it is safe to take the pill after the wine! If your doctor won't answer questions on the phone you need to do two things. Ask your pharmacist the questions you have about drug interaction, and get another doctor! I just want you to be safe! Also, check out the website I mentioned above, but please ask someone now.

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #2784
Certified Cake Maniac

ITK, please check your PM.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #2785
Master Chef

my personal nurse is switching jobs & now i've got a new nurse. i was so attached to her.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #2786
Executive Chef

Thanks to all of you for your concern and advice. Since I have been more or less trying to adjust to being on my own without the abuse of my ex life is not easy. No sympathy necessary just facts. This world does not allow for people who say they have rotten life. I did call the pharmacy as you all have suggested and the pharmacist told me red wine is okay as long as I don't drink with the medication. I told her the name amitriptyline 75mg so maybe it isn't considered one of the strong ones. I only know it makes me sleepy and will ask the doctor when I visit. I do call him on urgent things but he calls back after 6-7 or maybe next day, never know for sure when he calls. Sometimes I miss him completely and t hen next day same thing over again. Other doctor I had who has passed away would call around 5 t he same day. I just wonder about the training these new doctors have. Not the same like they used to be.

Thanks for your concern. Please accept the apology for troubling you as you all have your own more heavy burdens. As my son has said in the past, 'don't jerk people around with your trouble, why not find a solution' sounds cold but his father was worse. I can't fault the children for the condition of the family they grow up in. My own father was exactly like my ex husband.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #2787
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Thanks for your concern. Please accept the apology for troubling you as you all have your own more heavy burdens. As my son has said in the past, 'don't jerk people around with your trouble, why not find a solution' sounds cold but his father was worse. I can't fault the children for the condition of the family they grow up in. My own father was exactly like my ex husband.
First of all (and while I can only speak for myself, but I am sure others here would feel the same), no apology is necessary. One thing I have found about this place is that we are all here for each other. I have vented many times and everyone has been very supportive...this is your turn. And sometimes it is nice to think of other's troubles than to be wallowing in your own.

Second, I understand about abusive husbands. My first husband was one of the worst and it still took me a long time to get out from under his control. Yes, it does take a lot of getting used to being without that constant torment. But you did it and you are now taking medication to help you through the depression and one day you won't recognize yourself or your life. You will be a new person, free from all those chains.

So, sip your glass of red wine (a good distance from pill time) and make a toast to your new life to be!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #2788
Master Chef

Last time I took anti-depressants (Welbutrin) with alcohol I had a psychotic episode and tried to lop off my hand with a hedge trimmer... I don't recommend mixing the two.

As for stays in the PS, very familiar with that and so is DW. The thing about DW helping to take the pills, and this comes from the nurses and doctors as well and is something I think those without depression have a hard time understanding, is that when you are depressed you don't want or care to take your meds.
When you are in a psych ward, they don't leave it up to the patent to take their meds, they feed them to you on time and on a regular schedule. The same remains true at home they want and need the spouse or a close relative to stay on top of it and make sure the patient takes their meds.
Once I come out of the depression, taking my meds on my own is no problem, but anytime I slump she needs to be there to 'pick up the slack' so to speak. It is not like I want it to be this way, but this is the way it goes.

I know on my side if the roles were reversed, and they have been, I would be there to make sure it got done for her.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #2789
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
First of all (and while I can only speak for myself, but I am sure others here would feel the same), no apology is necessary. One thing I have found about this place is that we are all here for each other. I have vented many times and everyone has been very supportive...this is your turn. And sometimes it is nice to think of other's troubles than to be wallowing in your own.

Second, I understand about abusive husbands. My first husband was one of the worst and it still took me a long time to get out from under his control. Yes, it does take a lot of getting used to being without that constant torment. But you did it and you are now taking medication to help you through the depression and one day you won't recognize yourself or your life. You will be a new person, free from all those chains.

So, sip your glass of red wine (a good distance from pill time) and make a toast to your new life to be!
Sounds like you could t ell me 'been there, done that'. It just seems like when you have abusive situation you tend to feel everyone is against you. I have found some people in the grocery stores who seem to be so caring. I find that here too, people have been hurt. I cannot bring myself to go to church because they seem to not be helping with pain people have. I rather stay home, read the bible, and lis ten faithfully to radio. I don't have clue where these people are preaching but I find strength in messages they have. I do know my neighbors frown about this fact as t hey hear the radio when I have the windows open but one thing they cannot deny me that freedom to listen to what I want. May be good for them to hear too.

Thank you all again for your concern. Sure means a lot to me when the one person you cared about calls you 'worthless'. A therapist told me after the divorce that the reason he wants to come back is he misses his hitting post. What a comment. Did t hat hurt!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #2790
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Last time I took anti-depressants (Welbutrin) with alcohol I had a psychotic episode and tried to lop off my hand with a hedge trimmer... I don't recommend mixing the two.

As for stays in the PS, very familiar with that and so is DW. The thing about DW helping to take the pills, and this comes from the nurses and doctors as well and is something I think those without depression have a hard time understanding, is that when you are depressed you don't want or care to take your meds.
When you are in a psych ward, they don't leave it up to the patent to take their meds, they feed them to you on time and on a regular schedule. The same remains true at home they want and need the spouse or a close relative to stay on top of it and make sure the patient takes their meds.
Once I come out of the depression, taking my meds on my own is no problem, but anytime I slump she needs to be there to 'pick up the slack' so to speak. It is not like I want it to be this way, but this is the way it goes.

I know on my side if the roles were reversed, and they have been, I would be there to make sure it got done for her.
maverick,

i was afraid i hurt your feelings, if so please forgive me. i spent three years in a deep depression, following the murder of my husband. ptsdwas the diagnose. i was given many pills, some worked better than others. i always took them by myself. now i still suffer from the ptsd, but it is blunted somewhat by meds. they took three years to find a combo that worked. i also had a ton of counseling.

i really do think that if we own our life, we can do many things to help ourselves. one of the reasons for the nurses and drs. to see you take those meds, are fear of being sued if they gave you that responsibility in hospital.

if your way works for you, then you have every right to do it that way.

i still feel that you would feel less helpless. depression is an awful thing to have, isn't it.

in friendship

babe