"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #2831
Senior Cook

I know I haven't been on here for too long and this really isn't so much a vent as a hurt. My beloved grandmother passed away last Monday and it hurts like the dickens. She was 99 years old and 7 months. She always said she was going to live to be 100. I know she was ready to go, everything was starting to shut down. She was my "cooking mentor". She and my mother shared a room in an assisted living facility. It's been really hard trying to grieve and try to help my mother through this, she has dementia, which is another story. I just miss her so much. I do have all her cookbooks and hand-written recipes that she passed to me which is a comfort to read through them. I'm just really hurting right now.

Barb

Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #2832
Master Chef

Sorry to hear that homecook. :(

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #2833
Master Chef

Anyone Need a Crusty Old Dog?

I got an old crusty dog that needs a home if he does not stop peeing everywhere!!!!

Seriously, I would not give him up for the world. But twice last night, he just stands and starts peeing, no warning. Then sometimes he walks as he pees..... DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!! The steam cleaner got a work out yesterday!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #2834
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I am so tired of toys EVERYWHERE and trippping over them.
I am even more tired of chasing everyone around CONSTANTLY saying "PICK UP YOUR TOYS PLEASE!"
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #2835
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I got an old crusty dog that needs a home if he does not stop peeing everywhere!!!!

Seriously, I would not give him up for the world. But twice last night, he just stands and starts peeing, no warning. Then sometimes he walks as he pees..... DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!! The steam cleaner got a work out yesterday!
Sattie, I think what you need is a trip to the vet. I know they are costly but even phone them for advice. It could be age or an illness, but incontinance in dogs should not be taken litely. If I didn't have two of my own and wasn't so far away, I would definitely take him. Is he the one on your avatar? You should join our "fur babies" group.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #2836
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post
I know I haven't been on here for too long and this really isn't so much a vent as a hurt. My beloved grandmother passed away last Monday and it hurts like the dickens. She was 99 years old and 7 months. She always said she was going to live to be 100. I know she was ready to go, everything was starting to shut down. She was my "cooking mentor". She and my mother shared a room in an assisted living facility. It's been really hard trying to grieve and try to help my mother through this, she has dementia, which is another story. I just miss her so much. I do have all her cookbooks and hand-written recipes that she passed to me which is a comfort to read through them. I'm just really hurting right now.

Barb
I'm sorry for your loss , homecook..
LadyCook
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #2837
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

Call your vet, dog could have UTI or bladder infection.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #2838
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post

Barb
Barb, this thread is for all kinds of "vents" - anger, frustration, and pain....whether it be physical, or emotional. My heart goes out to you for your loss. Allow yourself to hurt and grieve. Yes, you need to be there for your mother, but you mostly need to be there for yourself or you aren't good for anyone else. Take good care.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #2839
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I am so tired of toys EVERYWHERE and trippping over them.
I am even more tired of chasing everyone around CONSTANTLY saying "PICK UP YOUR TOYS PLEASE!"
Suzie, maybe you should try the trick my Mom did to me and my sister when we were young and wouldn't keep our rooms clean. She would threaten to throw everything away but we wouldn't believe her. So one day we went into our rooms and anything that was lying about (toys, clothes, my sister's guitar...were gone). We couldn't believe she had thrown them out but we certainly learned our lesson. A few days later when our rooms were neat and tidy we came home to all our stuff neatly put away and it stayed that way (well most of the time).

I know your kids are young but while my sister was a teenager when this happened I was only 4 or 5.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #2840
Executive Chef

Laurie's suggestion works, Suzie. I have done it myself several times throughout the years. I'm different in that I think the kids' rooms are theirs and as long as it's hygienic and would meet health codes, I leave their rooms alone. But the rest of the house is another story. All it takes for me is to get a plastic trash bag and start picking up toys, etc. from around the house and the rugrats get moving! And they are pretty good about picking up after themselves for a few months before I have to get the bag out again.