"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #2851
Master Chef

DW, the kids, and I were at the Morton Arboretum this weekend enjoying their large outdoor kids area. It is designed entirely for kids, and staffed by people who spend the day showing the kids stuff and doing arts and crafts with them.
So on our way out, this guy and his wife are walking behind us, and he says, "See now, that is why I don't want kids, they completely change the marraige and take away from us and what we want!"
I turned around and said, "Thank you!"
He said, "For what?"
I said, "Not procreating!".
Grrrrr, if he doesn't like kids what was he doing in the kids section??

Old 06-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #2852
Master Chef

yep, we recently had 3 young ladies involved in a horrific crash two weeks ago.......they were trying to outrun another carload of young males ... it's the current popular sport.....jumped the curb and crashed into a tree and we have tons of trees in this area.....two of them died.....never saw so many flowers and memorials to their memories......nice girls supposedly had no alcohol or drugs in their systems either and all 3 had their seatbelts on........life is a crapshoot.......

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #2853
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
DW, the kids, and I were at the Morton Arboretum this weekend enjoying their large outdoor kids area. It is designed entirely for kids, and staffed by people who spend the day showing the kids stuff and doing arts and crafts with them.
So on our way out, this guy and his wife are walking behind us, and he says, "See now, that is why I don't want kids, they completely change the marraige and take away from us and what we want!"
I turned around and said, "Thank you!"
He said, "For what?"
I said, "Not procreating!".
Grrrrr, if he doesn't like kids what was he doing in the kids section??
Thank you for not procreating......you do realize you used a 3 syllable word with him.......probably didn't even know how to spell it in the first place......how funny.......
Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #2854
Master Chef

There was a study recently done on this, it showed that there is a part of the brain that controls decision making and that it does not fully develop until around age 24 or so.
I am thinking maybe it is time to up some of the age limits and restrict some driving privileges to things like work, school, sponsored events. I know in some states they now restrict the number of teenagers allowed in a vehicle at one time and they say it is working to reducing the number of accidents.
I know a lot of parents will actually fight these kinds of measures arguing you can't restrict their kids rights, but I would rather have my kid here complaining about restrictions then dead with all their so called rights intact!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #2855
Master Chef

well, technically 4 syllables if you want to arm wrestle......but as long as I'm misspelling we'll count wrongly, too.......
Old 06-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #2856
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick2272 View Post
dw, The Kids, And I Were At The Morton Arboretum This Weekend Enjoying Their Large Outdoor Kids Area. It Is Designed Entirely For Kids, And Staffed By People Who Spend The Day Showing The Kids Stuff And Doing Arts And Crafts With Them.
So On Our Way Out, This Guy And His Wife Are Walking Behind Us, And He Says, "see Now, That Is Why I Don't Want Kids, They Completely Change The Marraige And Take Away From Us And What We Want!"
I Turned Around And Said, "thank You!"
He Said, "for What?"
I Said, "not Procreating!".
Grrrrr, If He Doesn't Like Kids What Was He Doing In The kids Section??
What A Jerk!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #2857
Master Chef

yes, Mav, TX is one of those states that has curtailed the driving law limits law involving minors.....they have increased the age limit and who can be in the car with you.........I still maintain that the number one reason outside of drugs is distraction by friends and switching the radio stations...........
Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #2858
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
There was a study recently done on this, it showed that there is a part of the brain that controls decision making and that it does not fully develop until around age 24 or so.
I am thinking maybe it is time to up some of the age limits and restrict some driving privileges to things like work, school, sponsored events. I know in some states they now restrict the number of teenagers allowed in a vehicle at one time and they say it is working to reducing the number of accidents.
I know a lot of parents will actually fight these kinds of measures arguing you can't restrict their kids rights, but I would rather have my kid here complaining about restrictions then dead with all their so called rights intact!
I had read this too and I know first hand that there is a huge difference in maturity from age 16 to age 24! But we let 16 year old's drive. I've been lucky in that my kids home schooled so it wasn't a problem that I didn't let them drive til they were 18. Partly because we live in a very large city, I just don't think it is safe for kids to drive at an early age because they don't have the wisdom and judgment that they will have (hopefully) in a few years.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #2859
Master Chef

That's Allstates stance! LOL quoting their commercials they are big on citing distractions as a major problem.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #2860
Executive Chef

We all know it's true! That's one reason insurance for young people is sky high - they have to most accidents.