"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #2861
Master Chef

I didn't learn to drive until I was good and married at age 20........cop said i was the best driver he had ever run into........yeah, well I read 2 driver's manuals and scared of the cars to begin with and my kids learned at an early age not to distract me.....one of the worst trips I ever encountered was a trip over Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana in pouring down rain.......it was the scariest ever.........

Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #2862
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I didn't learn to drive until I was good and married at age 20........cop said i was the best driver he had ever run into........yeah, well I read 2 driver's manuals and scared of the cars to begin with and my kids learned at an early age not to distract me.....one of the worst trips I ever encountered was a trip over Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana in pouring down rain.......it was the scariest ever.........
You and me both. I learned at 17 but I already had my daughter and I was scared to death of having an accident and my child getting hurt. So I was, and still am, the most defensive driver you'll ever meet!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #2863
Master Chef

I got my learners permit at the age of 14. Spent the next two years with my dad teaching me how to drive. In Iowa you can also get a school and work permit at that age if you have good grades, but dad refused. Those two years he spent driving all over the countryside, blacktops, dirt roads, gravel roads, expressways. In the winter he took me out onto the ice and made me drive all over the lake. Taught me how to handle a car in winter and on ice.
At 16 I passed drivers ed with flying colors and got my license. Dad then promptly took it back. When I went to school, he handed it and the keys to me. When I came home from school, I handed it and the keys back to him. Same for work. At 17 he loosened up the reins a little and I got to drive more but mostly just during the summer. At 18 I got full privileges then went off to college.
Looking back, its not a bad way to do things...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #2864
Master Chef

me too..........being ADD you can't afford to be distracted at the wheel of a motorized vehicle either though I think that your brain switches to a higher gear as I've never been involved in an accident or gotten a moving violation ticket.......I'm an insurance company's dreamboat.............I have never been able to relax behind the wheel......I grip the steering wheel with two hands holding on tightly
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #2865
Master Chef

Quote:
Did it hurt??
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #2866
Master Chef

And I am sure he has RUN INTO plenty of drivers, eh??

Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #2867
Certified Cake Maniac

This isn't new though. Back when I was a teenager two brothers (one who was dating my best friend and unfortunately, for her, married her a few years later), were playing chicken down one of the streets in my relatively small home town. It was big enough, however to have a bus system. As the travelled at high speeds up the street the bus was coming down it. My friend's intended wouldn't pull over soon or far enough for his brother to get over and the brother hit the bus head on and was killed instantly. Two elderly people on the bus were injured badly and the driver, who suffered some physical injuries as well, was never the same again emotionally and became an alcoholic. About 2 years later he committed suicide, never being able to get the accident off his mind. The living brother managed to stay alive for about 5 more years, marry my friend, have a daughter, divorce my friend and end up getting killed in a bar fight.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #2868
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Did it hurt??
smart derriere.......hahah
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #2869
Master Chef

Quote:
smart derriere.......hahah