"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #2921
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks! I'm on my way to take some Tylenol and take a hot bath. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Barbara
don't forget your heating pad, Barbara. Can you take that with you?
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #2922
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks! I'm on my way to take some Tylenol and take a hot bath. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Barbara
Big hugs your way..Enjoy the retreat..Hope the kidneys feel better soon.
kades

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #2923
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Stacy and cj! I don't have a heating pad, or I would bring it just in case. I'm sure I'll be okay. There will be lots of drinks there, and I will bring some extra bottled water.

I forgot to tell you the theme of this year's retreat. Dangerous Women!

We have a really good lesson each day, some Bible study, singing, and communion. We also have a lot of time to do whatever we want--sit around and talk, go down to the beach, go to the pool, play silly games, etc. There is a TV in a little room. It hardly ever gets turned on, but sometimes.

Here is one of the games we played last time (most of the older ladies didn't play, but a couple did). Everyone who wants to play has to go out of the room. One at a time (so the others don't catch on) a person is brought in and a big sheet is put over her head. A couple people who are in on it stand next to her. They tell her, "Take off one thing that you don't need." Thank goodness I caught on right away! Anyway, when they don't catch on right away, they usually start with something like a shoe. Then the others tell her the same thing, "Take off one thing that you don't need." Some women have ended up with not much on before they finally understand that the thing they don't need is the sheet!

Well, I still have a lot to do, so I'd better send out the Welcome Letter, get everything done, and then get to bed. I'm feeling much better right now, btw.

Barbara
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #2924
Chef Extraordinaire

i just went out of my building to check on my truck, and a concert in a club down the block just let out. as the hundreds of kids walked by, many of them sucking on balloons of nitrous oxide, one crappy little wasted girl decided to start shouting at me that the yankees suck, in a really nasty tone. apparently, she didn't like my yankees t-shirt.
so i went to my truck, dropped my phone and wallet inside, and turned around.
the dumb little chick, with a hapless guy in tow, didn't realize that they were walking towards me, that i hadn't left.
so as they passed me, the girl saw me and at first said "relax man, i was only kidding", to which i simply replied that she should watch her mouth.

as she felt safe a few feet further up, she started shouting obsenities again.

so i drove up the block, parked (i had to move my truck anyway), and got out as they approached again. it's a long block.

this time, the little see-you-next-tuesday got scared, and said "what, are you gonna beat a girl up?", followed by a string of curses.

so i replied, "no, i'll kick his ***, how's that? where do you get off talking to complete strangers that way?"

the guy turned white and apologized, then started jogging away.
the girl continued to shout more stuff, at him and then me. most other people crossed the street.

i wish i was 20 again, and didn't care about getting arrested. grrrrrrrrrr.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #2925
Master Chef

BT, I can understand your anger and frustration. What I don't understand is people like that girl. I would never even think to talk like that to anyone. That kind of attitude is just rude.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #2926
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It is unbelievable that anyone feels they can talk to people that way BT. I have seen enough little kids interacting with their parents through the years to know where it starts though. When kids grow up yelling at their parents, hitting them, interrupting them constantly--they feel it is their right to do that. If their parents want to put up with it, fine, but they are unleashing these selfish, self-centered, rude idiots on the world.

Barbara
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #2927
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Tanya,
I'm sorry. I'll be praying for your mom and all of you...Keep us in the loop so we know how she is doing.
kadesma
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. It turned out to be a brain tumor which we're hoping and praying is benign and operable. She's seeing the neurosurgeon on Monday. In a way it's "better" news than a stroke that might have caused brain damage or Alzheimers which we also suspected as something can hopefully be done about it. The ironic thing is that my MIL also has a brain tumor and is currently lying in hospital. She doesn't have health insurance and they kept on postponing the operation as there were more "serious" cases, then they had to do an emergency op to drain fluid from her brain and now she's too weak to operate on. She's now in a semi coma and we're not very hopeful. It's just so surreal that our mothers get diagnosed with the same thing within a month of each other. I'm just very grateful that my parents have health insurance. So not really a good a good couple of months for me and Adrienne so far.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 AM   #2928
Executive Chef

This is terrible, Tanya! What an awful position - a stroke or a brain tumor. I admire you being such a loving and steadfast daughter. Please let us know when/if her surgery or treatment begins and we will keep you and your mom in our prayers.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #2929
Senior Cook

Thanks Fisher's Mom - appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #2930
Sous Chef

Prayers are out for your mother and MIL, Tanya. Also for you and your DH. Dawn :>)