"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #2961
Executive Chef

Mav, If my DH said all that to me I would leave in that instant and come back later to get my stuff and then some. Those kind of words come from a hateful black heart People don't change unless they want to. Remember what they always say to us girls you can't change a man. Well the same gos for a women. There are too many people in this world that wait for years for the other to change but they don't and so they stay unhappy for the rest of their lives. I'm sorry but she is mean, mean, mean and selfish. My mother was the same so it came to a point I decided to have no more contact with her ever again after 30 odd years of dealing with her narcissistic personality. Which dos not mean that person is in love with themselves but rather that they don't give a crap about anybody else all they care about is their feelings and needs and blame everyone else for not having the life that they wanted which is why they say and do the most cruel things to those close to them. I am so much better off and I'm really happy now.I'm saying you will never make her happy and neither will anybody else because it's never good enough. I still remember a post you made a while back that she said she wished for your early demise. So you can keep trying or you can make some major changes and get out and make your self happy rather than feel like the way you do. Of course it's up to you. But I believe you are the one in control of your life and how happy you can be. Believe me I spent many years on the wrong guys hoping they would change etc. Only took me about 40 years to figure out it doesn't work and to not ignore the red flags but to take it as it is and cut my losses.
Your health is at stake as well. The nastier she gets the nastier she will become as she figures out you will just put up with it.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #2962
Senior Cook

Nothing hurts worse than deception.. and when you're dealing with someone, who, after years of marriage and 3 kids, (& how many lies/infidelities?) says they're "not sure" what they want... ???

Big. Red. Flag.

I will not pass judgment on your wife, but I will offer this: Please look out for number one here - you FIRST - it's kind of like on the airplane safety card: put the oxygen mask on your face FIRST so you can effectively help everyone else (your children)...

DO NOT SETTLE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS "SETTLING" FOR YOU.... your kids will know the difference, and so will your heart!

- For what it's worth, as I do not know you, and technically this IS unsolicited advice - but wanted to send what I hope is some support for you in this difficult time... you are young - 37 is young! You have time to start over, if you want to... believe it, and it will be so!

Blessings to you and yours....

Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #2963
Master Chef

I gotta figure out how to change that.... I am 35 the birth year is suppose to be 1972 but instead I clicked 1970. Not that it matters, just realized it.

Thanks everyone for your support and the advice. She has agreed to more counseling and even some personal therapy of her own. For now I gotta just think about this some more, and see what the counseling and therapy bring once we/she starts it.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #2964
Master Chef

goodness, I was graduating from high school in 1972------shared my yearbook with my daughter-in-law last night and she couldn't believe the long hair and mini skirts.........anyway lots of good advice here, Mav........up to you to decide what you're going to do........stop being a doormat and show her the door...at least for a while........and when she decides to be responsible again and stop acting the way she is and I just know that you're going to be the one to possibly end up taking care of your children invite her back in if you still want her but I'm not kidding you there are so many nice women out there looking for guys like you in your age group...you really don't need to just hang on to her unless you want to.......I am so reminded of the 1800's book Of Human Bondage by Thackeray.......look it up and see if I'm off the mark..........I just buzzed over his 3 pages of a description of a landscape. which ran throughout the book--sorry I'm ADD in that respect......boring......but what the book's theme was basically a poor guy with a club foot being abused by a woman..........and he still asked for more because he was afraid to let her go........it was a heart-rending story of a read but in the end he does find someone who really cares for the wonderful qualities he possesses........
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #2965
Chef Extraordinaire

just some random thoughts, mav. you need a wake up call.

a woman who does and says crappy things to you and then says the reason she can't be honest with you because of some fault of yours is an emotional bully, and is **** up in some serious, deep ways. counseling for her is a start, but she's at the bottom of mount everest. don't get your hopes up.

a man who is kind, caring, and gentle is known as a gentleman, in my book. never think that you have to be a jerk to get respect. you don't want respect from people for that reason (unless it's for a good cause or it's funny ). again, to reinforce my first point, women who want to respect "bad guys" are really just immature if they're young, but at 35 it's just **** up.

playing amature psychoanalyst: i'd say somewhere in the twists and folds of their minds, a good percentage of women say they like bad guys. not the kind who like leather wearing, scruffy biker dudes (that i think you're thinking about), but guys who carry a certain suaveness about them, then treat the women who swoon over them like crap. AND they eat it up.
what she really is doing is punishing herself, some dimented way, for not having her life go the way she wanted in her dreams. she thinks it's some kind of failure on her part, and being in a relationship with a guy who turns them on but makes them cry somehow fulfills some very large, very dark corner of her psyche.
a cutter should understand that. btw, that's equally **** up. i was completely with you, except for that.

ok, so here's the wake up call. YOU HAVE FREAKIN KIDS!!!!!!

they should be the focal point of anything the two of you selfish **** are thinking about. that's what you should be discussing. their mental and emotional beings, not yours. is it better you two figure this out together, or apart? sacrifice is the cornerstone of parenthood, so you'd both better get on the ball and retrain your efforts.
if it's better for them that you should stay together, the BOTH of you should be working on that. boo hoo if neither of you got or ever get what you wanted. no one ever does.
we all rationalize our lives, and hopefully it's easy to see the good over the bad. children are the good; period. go from there.
but if it's better you two split, then get to it. get a lawyer, and work out the finances. but be ever mindful of how to make it as painless as possible for your kids.

i'll apologize right now if you or anyone thinks that this was mean spirited. it was not meant that way. it's just that there kids involved in this equation, which makes the other parts negligible. remember, sacrifice is the operative word here.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #2966
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

a woman who does and says crappy things to you and then says the reason she can't be honest with you because of some fault of yours is an emotional bully, and is **** up in some serious, deep ways. counseling for her is a start, but she's at the bottom of mount everest. don't get your hopes up.

a man who is kind, caring, and gentle is known as a gentleman, in my book. never think that you have to be a jerk to get respect. you don't want respect from people for that reason (unless it's for a good cause or it's funny ). again, to reinforce my first point, women who want to respect "bad guys" are really just immature if they're young, but at 35 it's just **** up.

playing amature psychoanalyst: i'd say somewhere in the twists and folds of their minds, a good percentage of women say they like bad guys. not the kind who like leather wearing, scruffy biker dudes (that i think you're thinking about), but guys who carry a certain suaveness about them, then treat the women who swoon over them like crap. AND they eat it up.
what she really is doing is punishing herself, some dimented way, for not having her life go the way she wanted in her dreams. she thinks it's some kind of failure on her part, and being in a relationship with a guy who turns them on but makes them cry somehow fulfills some very large, very dark corner of her psyche.
a cutter should understand that. btw, that's equally **** up. i was completely with you, except for that.

they should be the focal point of anything the two of you selfish **** are thinking about. that's what you should be discussing. their mental and emotional beings, not yours. is it better you two figure this out together, or apart? sacrifice is the cornerstone of parenthood, so you'd both better get on the ball and retrain your efforts.
if it's better for them that you should stay together, the BOTH of you should be working on that. boo hoo if neither of you got or ever get what you wanted. no one ever does.
we all rationalize our lives, and hopefully it's easy to see the good over the bad. children are the good; period. go from there.
but if it's better you two split, then get to it. get a lawyer, and work out the finances. but be ever mindful of how to make it as painless as possible for your kids.

i'll apologize right now if you or anyone thinks that this was mean spirited. it was not meant that way.
bucky you are absolutely right on. have wanted to say some of the things you did.

kids count and need stability. they don't have that right now. so the adults need to get their act together and put kids first. i do not think you are mean spirited, sometimes things just need to be said.

babe
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #2967
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Mav- so sorry to hear that your going through all this please put your kids first,my kids are 16 and 19 and are now asking me why I am still married to their father, saying it would have been hard but probably better.
Now my vent, I posted a week and a half ago that my DD crashed her blazer, since it happened hubby and I have been doing everything possible to get her a vehical. We found one last thurs. she put a deposit on it and on Friday I took my whole day to check on financing and insurance (she was working) anyway Sat. she came home from work at 2:30 and hubby told her to call the dealer and let him know we were still waiting to hear from the bank. We were working in the yard. She came out around 4:30-5:00 and asked where the number was. Of course I got mad because she didn't do it at 2:30 and asked her why she said she forgot. I asked her how she could forget from the porch to the house and that it wasn't an excuse. I then started back outside and heard her say something. I turned and said what? She says and I quote "you're annoying me". I flipped out and told her I would write down what she has to do to finalize the deal and if she didn't get it done, she would be walking.
I think I'm more hurt then mad, I'm doing everything possible to help her. This isn't the first time she's done or said something like this. I guess I'm just going to have to use tough love on her and not make her life as easy as I have.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #2968
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

i'll apologize right now if you or anyone thinks that this was mean spirited. it was not meant that way. it's just that there kids involved in this equation, which makes the other parts negligible. remember, sacrifice is the operative word here.
BRAVO, BT for telling it like it is. You are just giving Mav some tough love and said some things I was afraid to say. I don't believe for a minute counseling is going to help this situation. A waste of money to yet again to try to change someone that can't be changed. As far as the kids my concern is that as they watch and feel whats going on this is how they will end up because they won't know anything else. If things don't change the kids will grow up to be just as dysfunctional.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #2969
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Amen !!!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #2970
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Mav- so sorry to hear that your going through all this please put your kids first,my kids are 16 and 19 and are now asking me why I am still married to their father, saying it would have been hard but probably better.
Now my vent, I posted a week and a half ago that my DD crashed her blazer, since it happened hubby and I have been doing everything possible to get her a vehical. We found one last thurs. she put a deposit on it and on Friday I took my whole day to check on financing and insurance (she was working) anyway Sat. she came home from work at 2:30 and hubby told her to call the dealer and let him know we were still waiting to hear from the bank. We were working in the yard. She came out around 4:30-5:00 and asked where the number was. Of course I got mad because she didn't do it at 2:30 and asked her why she said she forgot. I asked her how she could forget from the porch to the house and that it wasn't an excuse. I then started back outside and heard her say something. I turned and said what? She says and I quote "you're annoying me". I flipped out and told her I would write down what she has to do to finalize the deal and if she didn't get it done, she would be walking.
I think I'm more hurt then mad, I'm doing everything possible to help her. This isn't the first time she's done or said something like this. I guess I'm just going to have to use tough love on her and not make her life as easy as I have.
Which DD is it? 16 year olds are just plain flaky sometimes. It's like they are on a different planet from one minute to the next. One day, they can make you so proud you could burst because of their maturity and wisdom. Then the next day, you wonder who this kid is and how she manages to walk and chew gum at the same time. Plus, at 16 and 19, they are part adult and part kid and when it comes to dealing with their parents, they have a hard time not falling back on the kid behavior - thinking mom and dad should take care of everything for them. Sorry she hurt your feelings but I think you handled it right - tell her what she needs to do and spell out the consequences if she doesn't.