"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #3001
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Buddy. We put a note on our car and actually got someone who saw it get towed respond. He said that there was no car in 248 when the manager and tow truck got there so she (manager) said "tow this one, I don't think it belongs". We got him to put it in writing, and the manager forked over the $86.50 out of her own pocket pretty quickly.

Well, this is another wrap-up to a previous vent of mine regarding my health. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he asked what I wanted to do. I said I was leaning toward the replacment because I just wanted it done and over with and didn't like the odds with the scope. He talked some more saying that we would know in 6 months whether the scope would work (50/50 chance) and I could have one every two years until I was "old enough" for the replacement. I reluctantly agreed to this but when I was filling out the forms it just didn't feel right. I was feeling like I was settling. We asked the receptionist how long a wait for the 2 procedures and she said August for the scope (not the two weeks he had quoted before) and September or early October for the replacement.

I said I wanted to think about it and so was going to leave and call when I was ready. But she talked to the doctor who had me back in and he said he would do either procedure but wanted ME to be sure. So it ended with me signing both consent forms and calling in next Monday with the answer. Well, I am calling in today because I have thought, talked, prayed and researched and am at peace with having the replacement done and out of the way. Yes, I will have to have it done again in 15 - 20 years, but that is 15-20 years of guaranteed relief, not 6 months to two years of maybes.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers on this. It means I still have to wait in pain, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel and it looks real good!
Laurie - I'm glad you were able to make a decision difficult as it was. It is so frustrating dealing with doctors. My mom went into hospital on Tuesday and they're only operating this coming Tuesday as the doctor says they need to give her medication to try and shrink the tumor so that the risk is less. But why does this take a whole week ? ? ? But apparently the doctor is very good so I suppose he knows what he's doing.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #3002
Executive Chef

Hi Laurie - glad things are taking a turn for the better. Prayers for a much pain reduced future (I agree with the replacement - a better quality of life especially if you are the wrong side of the 50% on the scope.

Tanya - I guess it takes a week for the medication to work on the tumour - hopefully reducing it so it is not tight in with the matter around it so less risk of unnedded damage to tissue.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #3003
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK View Post
Laurie - I'm glad you were able to make a decision difficult as it was. It is so frustrating dealing with doctors. My mom went into hospital on Tuesday and they're only operating this coming Tuesday as the doctor says they need to give her medication to try and shrink the tumor so that the risk is less. But why does this take a whole week ? ? ? But apparently the doctor is very good so I suppose he knows what he's doing.
Tanya, I am so sorry about this wait for your Mom's tumor. Medications do take time to work and I am sure they know what they are doing but I totally understand how the waiting game seems sensless...like the three weeks I had to wait just to make this decision. I will keep both you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #3004
Executive Chef

Awww, Tanya, this week must be so hard for you. FWIW, I have heard it's an advantage to shrink a tumor in the brain very quickly just before surgery. I think the goal is to get maximum shrinkage in a short period of time - before the surrounding tissues have a chance to expand and grow around it. It makes it easier to remove the entire tumor with the least amount of damage to healthy brain tissue which equals less chance of residual damage. That sounds like a very good thing but it doesn't make the week long wait any shorter. How's your mom doing? Is the medicine to shrink the tumor making her sick? How are you holding up?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #3005
Executive Chef

Laurie, I'm so glad he offered you the option and that you are at peace with your decision. (I think that's the choice I would have made, too.) The hard part is waiting til September or October! Was he able to give you any more/different meds for pain?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #3006
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks FM, I will PM you later with all details but I am in the middle of trying to get a wedding cake done for tomorrow (with DH and DD's help). No, he did not want to change my meds but offered other suggestions.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #3007
Master Chef

Latest vent---traveling------ extra hours delay on Wed is the topic--DH informed by Lufthansa that I don't have to arrive at the airport until 3 hours later (going bacK to KZ by the way) as the flight is 6 hours delayed......I arrive and am informed that cause I arrived so late and that the flight is "OVERBOOKED" though it's still 6 hours delayed that I no longer have my reserved aisle seat that I had had for the past 3 months and will have to take care of it at the boarding gate. "Au Contrare" I combatted, it is NOT my fault that your people in KZ can't coordinate with the people in Frankfort........I need an aisle seat as I have a very painful bladder disease and then I start to cry.........well, we now have 3 people including the headmistresss typing away on their computers.......suddenly and VOILA!!! I actually have my original seating assignment.........What the H--- is going on????? Did the check in people not want to deal with it and just wanted to throw me to the gate people to handle it???? People were standiing in line at the boarding gate when I finally got there with my cherished boarding pass in hand----would one of them have been given my aisle seat had I not bolted up the pasture baying at the moon at the reservation gate???? Oh, well I got safe and soundly home and am totally up and wide awake at 2am in the morning.......glad to be back, though
Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #3008
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Awww, Tanya, this week must be so hard for you. FWIW, I have heard it's an advantage to shrink a tumor in the brain very quickly just before surgery. I think the goal is to get maximum shrinkage in a short period of time - before the surrounding tissues have a chance to expand and grow around it. It makes it easier to remove the entire tumor with the least amount of damage to healthy brain tissue which equals less chance of residual damage. That sounds like a very good thing but it doesn't make the week long wait any shorter. How's your mom doing? Is the medicine to shrink the tumor making her sick? How are you holding up?
The medication isn't making her sick - just weak and "out of it" . I'm OK thanks - just wishing that it's Tuesday already !
Old 07-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #3009
Master Chef

So sorry to hear that, TanyaK. It's good that she has you to lean on and suppot her. I've taken medications that made you feel "out of it" and it's not a geat feeling. Hope she feels better soon.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #3010
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
So sorry to hear that, TanyaK. It's good that she has you to lean on and suppot her. I've taken medications that made you feel "out of it" and it's not a geat feeling. Hope she feels better soon.
Thanks expatgirl ! Fortunately my sister and brother all live close by so we can all support her,my dad and each other as well.