"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #3031
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
my kitty, ozzy, passed away saturday. my Mum took him his vet & he stayed 3 days getting fluids & antibiotics. he went into kidney failure, & they said he should be put to sleep. sigh. my Dad was working & his phone wasn't on, so he didn't find out till after work.

oh luvs,

i am so sorry. losing a beloved pet is very hard. i know you will miss him. sometimes i complain about my thomas but i would be crushed if something happened to him. was he very old?

babe

Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #3032
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm sorry Luvs. Losing a friend is hard ..doesn't matter if it's a human or a kitty!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #3033
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have been reading the posts but haven't posted here in a few days. Expatgirl, I'm glad you made it back safely, and I'm glad they got their stupid mess in order.

For the health concerns, I am praying. I hope the wait doesn't seem too long Laurie.

Luvs, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.

Laurie, I guess you don't have to worry about anyone stealing your car--Impound lots are usually locked up. Seriously, I hope your car towing woes are over. What a pain!

No vents from me--things are going pretty well. If that changes, you'll be the first to know! LOL

Barbara
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #3034
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Here's my vent for the day. My son, Barrett, 20 months old has been having major digestive issues. We think he has Celiac where he can't have gluten, and we also think he has some other problems as well which we are trying to pinpoint.

My church has a nursery for kids age 18 months to 3 years during classes so parents can go to classes without worrying about their children. I worked in the nursery for several months so I've had Barrett in their with me since he was 10 months old. Now that I've given birth to another child I don't work in there anymore and do something else. Anyway, another lady has worked in there with me the whole time and still does. She knows Barrett cannot have wheat and has seen me go to great measure to prevent him from eating "illegal" snacks off the floor or taking them from other kids.

Back to the story...the last few weeks we have put him on a really strict diet to try and figure out problem foods. Come to find out, since I quit working in the nursery, this woman, who has been a good friend of mine, has been giving him graham crackers and goldfish crackers just because he would ask for them and felt bad for him, and never told me. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I haven't been able to identify problem foods! The only reason we found out is because my husband went to check on him and saw him with a handful of fish. Next week I am going to give her a very detailed account of what happens to him when he eats those things, and if she doesn't stop I'm either having her pulled from the nursery or I'm pulling him from it!
If anyone is pulled from the nursery, it should be her. I can't believe she would do that after knowing that he has problems with wheat. I wonder if she just figured you are being over-protective and that you really don't know what your own child needs. She should not be working with little kids. My friend's son has such a bad peanut allergy that he reacts just to the smell of them if someone is eating them too near him. I'd hate to think what would happen if a nursery worker had made the decision to let him have peanut butter crackers or something. This woman (who doesn't seem like much of a friend to me) needs to know the seriousness of what she has done.

Barbara
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #3035
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
If anyone is pulled from the nursery, it should be her. I can't believe she would do that after knowing that he has problems with wheat. I wonder if she just figured you are being over-protective and that you really don't know what your own child needs. She should not be working with little kids. My friend's son has such a bad peanut allergy that he reacts just to the smell of them if someone is eating them too near him. I'd hate to think what would happen if a nursery worker had made the decision to let him have peanut butter crackers or something. This woman (who doesn't seem like much of a friend to me) needs to know the seriousness of what she has done.

Barbara
I don't mean to stereotype, she is just from a pretty laid back culture. She is Tongan and speaks very broken English. I wonder if she just doesn't understand the seriousness of it and maybe because her English isn't the best she didn't quite understand. . And she has a very soft spot for children and B has these big blue eyes...

I think after I talk to her again, and alert the other nursery leaders, it won't happen again. At least it better not!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #3036
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I don't mean to stereotype, she is just from a pretty laid back culture. She is Tongan and speaks very broken English. I wonder if she just doesn't understand the seriousness of it and maybe because her English isn't the best she didn't quite understand. . And she has a very soft spot for children and B has these big blue eyes...

I think after I talk to her again, and alert the other nursery leaders, it won't happen again. At least it better not!
Ah, yeah cultural differences can really make a difference in a situation. She does still need to be made to understand the gravity of the situation though, or she should not work with children with such problems.

Barbara
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #3037
Head Chef

Luvs, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #3038
Master Chef

Thanks for all the concerns for us, Barbara (Barbs)............you're just that kind of person :):):)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #3039
Master Chef

And luvs, I'm sorry I missed your post........so sorry to hear about your fur child........lots of hugs coming your way......know what it feels like..........
Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #3040
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
oh luvs,

i am so sorry. losing a beloved pet is very hard. i know you will miss him. sometimes i complain about my thomas but i would be crushed if something happened to him. was he very old?

babe
he was 14, bane. thanks fer your caring 'bout our precious guy.

Closed Thread