"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #3061
Master Chef

I think that's very good advice,CJ, make them responsible...it's our jobs to teach them that anyway if we can..........a dollar everytime they light up........woohoo..........I should charge my daughter everytime she debates with me........I'd be rich.......

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #3062
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I think that's very good advice,CJ, make them responsible...it's our jobs to teach them that anyway if we can..........a dollar everytime they light up........woohoo..........I should charge my daughter everytime she debates with me........I'd be rich.......
Nah--she'd probably just talk you out of it!

My vent is ME! I'm bad enough about doing any housework when I'm by myself, but I have always had a problem doing it if someone is around! Part of my problem right now is that James wants company (and I want to give him that company), but mostly it is just me (20% him/80% me). There are some things that have to be done! I had this big (well, probably medium, but it seemed big to me) project planned for today. There was all this junk (mostly clothes, but lots of other stuff too) all over the dresser top. I got it all off (and onto the bed). I told James that the dresser top is no longer going to be a place for clutter. I was going to put away, throw away, and give away all the clothes and do the same with all the rest of the stuff. I got started, and then I went into the living room to take my medicine, and James went and got pizza and hotwings. As you have probably already guessed, I never made it back into the bedroom. So now the job that should have been a medium-sized one is bigger (James put it all in a big tub to get it off of the bed). I also ended up not reading my Bible and daily devotional yesterday because of all that, and that really makes me mad at me.

Well, it is 7:10 a.m., and I haven't been to bed yet (that is another of my vents--we have to change our sleeping habits SOON), so I'd better head that way.

Barbara

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #3063
Master Chef

Gosh, Barbs, you sound like me......my nights and days are all mixed up........12 hour time difference betw KZ and Houston and I don't help matters by sleeping during the day...............but I'm just so tired I can't help it........I can't stand clutter either.......drives me nuts.............and my husband loves to spread his junk across then entire dresser........I patiently put them in neat piles on his end he NEVER gets the hint........oh, and I forgot to mention the 3 sci-fi books he usually has going at once...........just stack them, that's all I ask..........

I had to laugh my head off at your comment that my daughter would talk me out of charging her for debating with me.........you are so right........:):) I'd be the one ending up paying HER not to debate with me.........hahaha
Old 07-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #3064
Senior Cook

MIl finally passed away on Tuesday - we've been expecting it but it's still sad. Ironically it was on the same day that my mom had her tumor removed so in a way I'm so glad that my mom's (hopefully) going to be OK but feel guilty being happy because Adrienne's mom didn't survive the same illness. This whole thing is just so unsettling for me - after 13 years together our mothers gets diagnosed with brain tumors within months of each other. MIL passes away the same day my mom gets operated on successfully and her funeral is the day of Adrienne's birthday(tomorrow)
Anyway I'm digressing (and depressing you all -sorry) - in times like this it's amazing how your friends react - I've heard nothing from a friend who I've always seen as one of my closest friends who I last spoke to when my mom was diagnosed - not a call. mail or sms to find out how it's going - that made me sad. On the other hand I've had more casual friends who have been in contact so regularly to find out how it's going and being really caring which is great. Anyway I suppose what I mean to say is that you realise who your true friends are in times of crisis.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #3065
Master Chef

So sorry to hear your sad news, Tanya.........yeah, you do find out who your real friends are after any crisis.......sorry that she wasn't there to offer you comfort---maybe something came up for her as well that you don't know about......some people distance themselves from hospitals and bad news....but you have us and you know us by now..........DC sticks by their members thru good times and bad times........hope that you and Adrienne get thru this latest sadness........all my hugs coming your way...........<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>debs
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #3066
Senior Cook

Thanks expatgirl - I must say that DC turned out to be much more than just a cooking forum :-) My husband is having a couple of drinks with his brother to ease the pain as he doesn't talk about his feelings at all - not healthy but if that's the way he deals with it at the moment so be it. My friends are all busy with their husbands and kids.
But at least I can chat with my DC friends :-)
Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #3067
Master Chef

leave him alone, Tanya. glad that his brother is with him........my DH is the same way..........they have their own ways of dealing with pain and loss.......he'll be fine and yes, it is healthy having a few drinks with your bro and reminiscing......I promise........at our ages we have dealt with many personal losses.........he'll be fine
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #3068
Senior Cook

Thanks - yes - I'll leave him - his way of dealing with it.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #3069
Master Chef

just sorry that you're alone right now......I had a feeling of such loss when my mother in law passed away a year ago..........she had been my guiding light for about 35 years and never once interfered at all.........she was wonderful.....and gave me such great advice as well as teaching me how to cook..........I still miss her.........
Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #3070
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law. I will be praying for the family.

I am so sick I cannot stand it. I think I have the flu, but it could possibly be food poisoning. As I said, I think it is the flu. I am sore all over, especially my legs and my head. My normal temperature is 97.6 but is running as high as 101.3. I was up too late, as usual, but even staying up until sunrise I am usually up by noon. I was totally conked out until after 4:00 p.m. (just waking up to go to the bathroom--walking there really hurts). James brought me my medicine, glasses, book, remotes for the TV, fan, and CD player, and my laptop. I had to turn the fan down because even the air hitting my legs hurts. I hurt too badly to leave the bed. I will leave DC on but will probably not post a lot. It's about all I can do to read a little and then sleep more.

Barbara