"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #3111
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot clanger View Post
Two of my four dogs are ill... been cleaning up a. lot. of. "stuff." I have steam cleaned my rug four times in three days (barf), and hosed off dog butts and the lawn like thirty times... and don't get me started on how GASSY they are.... My avo tree is dropping fruit and sometimes the dogs get to them before I do, and it makes them sick... I need to have a guacamole party - a three day guacamole party...

Ewwwwww I'm sooooooooo sorry!! That is a task that is even worse than baby diapers!!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #3112
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Two of my four dogs are ill... been cleaning up a. lot. of. "stuff." I have steam cleaned my rug four times in three days (barf), and hosed off dog butts and the lawn like thirty times... and don't get me started on how GASSY they are.... My avo tree is dropping fruit and sometimes the dogs get to them before I do, and it makes them sick... I need to have a guacamole party - a three day guacamole party...
PC I am really sorry to hear about your sick dogs. I go through this if my one dog gets any beef or wheat. And it is difficult because you don't like to see them sick, and at the same time you are mad because you have all this yucky work to do.

By the way, I am definitely in for your guac party!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #3113
Sous Chef

Because of my husband's surgeries and not having a lot of time to spare,I have bent over backwards to accomodate my clients with the time I do have,It just never seems to be good enough and they won't take what I have available without being nasty. I suggest other salons but, they won't go.The worst part being these are mostly my friends. This is just the tip of the iceberg that has been building up. Since Jimmy's 1st surgery June 3rd, there have been two suicides of young men in our area and I am always called upon to help the families- this I don't mind I feel if I had to live through my son's suicide -there had to be a lesson and a reason for it and I can't turn away anyone who seeks my help in this. Last Monday (also being my daughter's 21st birthday) friends of ours lost their 25 year old son to circumstances unknown as of yet.Yes this is alot of loss and tragedy- yes I'm doing every thing I can to ease these agonizing families,so if I'm a little lack luster about cutting or coloring hair-I'm sorry.Jimmy is also in a kind of a funk because the fact that after the hernia surgery and the tumor removed from his back-he will still be facing a hip replacement sooner rather than later. Granted- and he knows this -it could be MUCH worse-but, it still is not easy for him. Talk about emotionally charged living- welcome to my world-there have been a few things that my dd has also been up to lately that has my hair standing on end.All in all I'm still trying to remain my usual compassionate- "there for you" self and it's wearing me alittle thin. Ok now that I have vented I feel better and will get on with it all-it will all work out the way it's supposed to- it always does! Thanks for the ears and shoulders to cry on.Love and energy, Vicki
Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #3114
Hospitality Queen

Vicki, I have no idea how you can keep yourself together.
- the clients - ugh! I understand how they have the "I'm more important" mentality - used to be a hairdresser myself. Can they call another number, perhaps at the salon, where they could ONLY speak with the appointment desk? If not, can you send out an email blast to all of them with your ONLY appts available, and tell them it's a first come/first served basis for the time being? If that doesn't work, what about contacting a stylist you know and asking if you can start funneling some of your clientele to them? Then, when you get calls, the appt desk can give them the number of who will be their new stylist.
You poor thing!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #3115
Master Chef

Vicki, you need to set priorities....... and stick to them..........true friends will understand..........no one steps on you w/o your your permission.......simple.........set yourself apart if you need the space to recoup............friends will give you space and be there for you if you when you need them again..........that's what true friendship is all about.........trust in it.........and lots of hugs along the way........
Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #3116
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Vicki, I have no idea how you can keep yourself together.
- the clients - ugh! I understand how they have the "I'm more important" mentality - used to be a hairdresser myself. Can they call another number, perhaps at the salon, where they could ONLY speak with the appointment desk? If not, can you send out an email blast to all of them with your ONLY appts available, and tell them it's a first come/first served basis for the time being? If that doesn't work, what about contacting a stylist you know and asking if you can start funneling some of your clientele to them? Then, when you get calls, the appt desk can give them the number of who will be their new stylist.
You poor thing!
(((JKath))) Thank you so much for your concern, The problem lies in which I do hair from my house.I am the only stylist here. Alot of my clients are not well themselves and I provide them with a quiet one on one atmosphere to not only take care of their hair needs but, to relax without alot of buzzing going on around and overstimuli that a regular salon has. I do have stylist friends that I have sent some of my clients to in nearby salons just because there is only one of me and only so many hours in the day BUT, they always come back and I do have a tattoo of sucker on my forehead!!!I have a few clients that are recieving chemo and have no hair but, enjoy a good scalp massage and shoulder to cry on. I know things will work out the way they're supposed to- they always do. LOve and energy, Vicki
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #3117
Executive Chef

Awww, Vicki, I'm sorry you are being pulled in so many directions. That's what you get for being such a wonderful person! But listen to Expat's advice and allow yourself to say no. Right now, your family is the priority. When all is well again, you can reach out to the other parents who have suffered the tragedy you did. And hair? Well, your clients will still have hair to cut and color when your schedule is back to normal. You may lose a few but in the end, it's not such a big loss. I'd be willing to bet, as Expat said, you'll discover how many true friends you have in your clientele and your community.

As for me, I'll keep you and yours in my prayers until all is right again.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #3118
Chef Extraordinaire

"to thine own self be true" you can not be there for family, etc. if at first you don't take care of yourself. unplug the phone and have some quiet time for yourself.

babe
Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #3119
Sous Chef

I honestly, truly love you all!!!
expatgal- your words of wisdom-I fight with daily but, know that you are 100% right!!
fisher's mom-thank you for your kindness and prayers
jkath-as always a spirit that brightens this whole family
Love and energy to you and yours, Vicki
Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #3120
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'd love a guac party! And I'm really sorry about the dogs - it's so gross when the get GI problems.