"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #3121
Senior Cook

Thanks to everyone for their kind words with my MIL's passing - appreciate it !

Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #3122
Senior Cook

Miss Tanya... sorry to hear about your Mother in law... blessings to you and yours

And now back to my regularly scheduled programming of LAMEVILLE and All The Lame Stuff That I Go Through.... and I so wanted to say something other than "Stuff" but I gave up swearing online for Katie E.....

Everything is FINALLY! coming out ok with the Pack... (pardon the pun) jeez! Sooo glad that is over... now I've got a spider bite in my EAR - I'm not even sure exactly where in my ear, but I am very sure that it's darn irritating, but not so much that I'd seek a doctor's opinion - again, just LAMENESS - slight whooshing noise in ear, itchy (read: IRRITATING cause you can't satisfy that itch) and slightly "hot".... I am so going to bed NOW! Tomorrow is another day... nitey nite!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #3123
Master Chef

UM, whoosing noise? Ya know, spiders have been known to lay eggs in peoples ears before... just sayin.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #3124
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, inspired by Brooksy's bad day yesterday I thought I would post this thread for folks to vent those petty things that make us nuts.

Mine is sewing related. My thread keeps breaking, my bobbin ran out and when I tried to refill it the stupid thing went flying somewhere across the room and the thread wound around the post instead. ARGH! So, I am here for a few minutes to regain my composure and stop swearing at the machine.

It is probley old and dry rotted. Replace it. I haven't sewn in years, but I am very familar with this problem, even thread should have a born on date
Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #3125
Master Chef

my babe went to florida fer 5 days. in a way i'm relieved to be on my own fer like 5 days! isn't that awful of me. i miss him, though! dinner was lonely without him.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #3126
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
It is probley old and dry rotted. Replace it. I haven't sewn in years, but I am very familar with this problem, even thread should have a born on date
went through a similar problem just today. yesterday had problems filling bobbin yesterday. am teaching my gd to sew. didn't think i had any other bobbins so off to joanns for new one.

went to fill new one and machine simply would not do. then i noticed the bobbin had no little spring loaded tip in center. even though i asked sales person if these were universal bobbins.

went on a big hunt for some old ones. found two. was afraid i might have same problem and one of the found bobbins had blue thread on it , though darker than what we were using.

so used it anyway, so stay tuned to see if gd can use it. then thread stop came flying off, then i dropped it twice and had to retrieve it . hopefully is ready to sew, i did test on scrape fabric so hope we are ready for next lessons, she is making a simple dress. of course there is a deadline. people that don't sew, always think it is faster than it is. lol

babe
Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #3127
Executive Chef

I read somewhere that you can "revive" old thread by putting it in the freezer for a couple of days. It was something about the thread drying out over time. I don't know if it works, though.

I've found that true, too, Babe. People somehow want to believe we can just "whip up" a perfectly fitted dress in a couple of hours! Not me - I'm a slow sewer. (Maybe too many coffee breaks.)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #3128
Sous Chef

ok so the last of my clients is coming in a few minutes. I was able to visit with my "families".Thought everything would be smooth sailing and then get an e-mail from my brother that my 81 year old father is in the hospital for a plethora of reasons and is recieving a pacemaker today and an emergency colonoscopy tomorrow. My father has had colon cancer (as well as prostrate) in the past and it is probably back.The hospital that my father is in is the same hospital that Jimmy's surgery will take place.So I'll go see him tomorrow after Jimmy's pre admits.I'm not very close to my father and I feel bad about that but, a long time ago I had to accept the situation in order to move forward. I do love him and wish him no ill will-he's not a bad person just lacked a lot in the parenting department.OK no more of this.I will keep repeating my mantra- Things will work out the way they're supposed too."Love and energy, Vicki
Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #3129
Master Chef

sorry to hear about your father's latest problems, Vicki-------hopes all works out for him and that Jimmy's surgery goes as well as I know it will........take care----here's thinking about you!!! :) I know that you'll keep us updated.....
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #3130
Executive Chef

Vicki, as long as you have no ill-will toward your father, I think you can be at peace with your lack of warm feelings for him. Remember, love and warm, fuzzy feelings at some point must be earned. Sadly, he didn't manage to do this. Right now, the man you share your life with needs you to be strong and healthy for him, emotionally as well as physically. Put your energies there and don't feel bad about what you do or don't feel for your dad. As you said, it will all work out in the end. Until we hear from you, prayers will go out for you and Jimmy and your dad, too! Big Hugs for you too, Sweetie!