"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #311
Chef Extraordinaire

Vent away Cora, I'd be so irate, I'd be yelling for a week...Nice of DH to be so gracious to the neighbors, now he needs to step up and help you...Try to relax, your Italian Alps dinner will hold..Wish I was close enough to help you, even just going to the sotre for you...Hope all works out.

kadesma

Old 02-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #312
Executive Chef

Thanks pds and kadesma. Lucky for me, dinner was postponed until next weekend. I was rushing around and almost rushing out the door too, when dh realized it was probably too much work to pull it off today. And dh help, it would be a world of help if he just took the kids without me having to ask but that never happens.
He gets to wiggle his way out of any help today anyway. The reason dh invited all the people over is because dh rented an excavator to dig up tree stumps on our property and we have all these nice people helping do it. So, dh is outside "working," really just standing around talking while the 15 year old does all the work.
I guess I'm still a little bitter about the whole thing. My 1 1/2 hours of kid free time for a class was canceled for the second week in a row. Last week the teacher was sick and I don't know why it was canceled today. All I know is dh has only been home 2 whole days this week and I'm starting to go a little stir crazy.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #313
Master Chef

He better be darned glad that he postponed!!!
Some guys can be such inconsiderate jerks sometimes!!
At least you have forwarning now. You can calm down and take your time.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #314
Executive Chef

I think if it were me, I'd say "lucky for him it was postponed". Dh used to invite people without asking me first, but he got the message when I started saying every time that it wasn't a good time. He started asking me before he asked them after that. The only thing, now he never asks anyone. I mention having someone over, he just says ok, or says nothing, then he acts like the "belle of the ball" and has more fun than anyone.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #315
Everymom

OK, me again. Don't you just hate it when kids make you follow through on a threat? My youngest was just invited to go to the community pool and swim with a friend. I said sure, but you CALL ME the minute you get to your friends house so I know you are safe. If you DON'T call me you will be coming right home.

Sigh. You can guess what happened.

I should mention that this particular friends Mom doesn't have a cell phone so I actually had to GO TO THE POOL and get her. I have totally humiliated her in front of her best friend and that whole crew of people, and I feel badly for her but honestly, what else could I have done? If I backed down she would think she could walk all over me forever AND I would look like a liar for not doing what I said I would do.

CRAP! I feel so mean.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #316
Sous Chef

Sometimes we have to appear mean to show them we really do love them and care about where they are and what they are doing.
You did the right thing. (I'm sure your daughter won't agree with me, but she will later on in life when she is raising her own children)
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #317
Everymom

Thanks RMS. I know that in my head (or I would have wimped out like I wanted to) but my heart is breaking for my little sweetie.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #318
Master Chef

She will live!! Tomorrow, when she sees her friends again. They will all get on the subject of how their parents embarrased them. Believe me, she will feel better and probably tell you about some of the other stories before long.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #319
Everymom

I know she will. Her friends will have big eyes and tell her how MEAN her mom is. And somewhere inside her she will secretly be pleased that I care enough to do what I did.

OK, so hurry up tomorrow and get here. Cuz right now I feel like the Grinch.

Texasgirl and Debbie, you both brought tears to my eyes. I am not even going there in my head with my babies. They are flat out NOT allowed to grow up dang it!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #320
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You did good Alix!

I know it hurt both of you today.. but in the long run... it was the right thing.