Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@#$$%$%#!!!!! I hate snow covered ice. I wiped out TWICE today and my elbow is sporting a lovely bruise. :mad: Phooey!

I'm sorry about your bruise, Alix....I hear hot chocolate, drunk twice a day for a week will cure it. :rolleyes:

I will vent about the weather too. It's supposed to be 81 tomorrow. Yuck. This is supposed to be Autumn! We're supposed to be able to wear sweaters!

jkath said:
I'm sorry about your bruise, Alix....I hear hot chocolate, drunk twice a day for a week will cure it. :rolleyes:

I will vent about the weather too. It's supposed to be 81 tomorrow. Yuck. This is supposed to be Autumn! We're supposed to be able to wear sweaters!

Hmmm. I endorse the hot chocolate twice a day, but it should be followed by a good serving of Godiva truffles in between. Or, if you don't have Godiva chocolates, you can use Godiva seeds...M&Ms. But you'll need them in greater quantity more often.:LOL:

Well, jkath, we can give you some fall weather. It's been about 50 degrees here most days, with 30s to 40s at night. This is about right, yes?:)

Alix, Sault Ste. Marie now looks like that picture you posted.:LOL: We've got about 4 inches on the ground now. The roads are icy and I'm replacing nearly bald tires (the front 2 first) on Tuesday, or Wednsday. But this isn't here for good. We're supposed to get up into the high 40's for the next few days and all the white stuff will be gone for a breif period.

About that falling stuff. I have a great deal of experience in that department. I've been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, driven off a 30 foot cliff on that same machine, fallen from trees, accidentally stepped off of a 2 story roof, twice in the same day, and the list goes on. Oh, and my feet have left the ground due to that snow-covered-ice condition you just experienced.

What kept me from getting hurt in all of those situations (never had more than a bruise from any of them), was the learned ability to fall properly. I was involved in Judo, and in Kuk Sul Won, both of which teach falling and tumbliing techniques. Especially the Judo training, drilled into us the ability to fall properly at every session until it became a natural response whenever the need arises. And there are multiple techniques to handle whatever type of fall you might encounter, be it falling frontwards, backwards, on your side, head-first, feet first, etc. And the correct response becomes automatic.

I highly recomend participation in Judo, Kuk Sool Won, or any marshal art technique that teaches falling skills. It may save you life. It has certainly saved mine over the years. And here's the best part. My eldest son, who is now 26, fell out of a two story window at the age of 2. He'd climbed a chair and while gazing out of a screend window, pushed the screen out and plumeted 1 and 1/2 stories to sun-baked clay and large rocks. I had been teaching him falling techniques for about 2 months before that. I'm convinced, as was the doctor, that those learned techniques saved his life. From the abrasions on his arms, it looked like he used the front-fall technique. and he suffered no injuries from the fall.

I am absolutely sold on knowing how to fall. It prevents injury and makes the incident far less painful.

My youngest sister took a tumble without knowing how to fall, and broke her elbow. I've never broken a bone, nor have any of my children (4 of them who did crazy things as kids, like falling out of trees, riding bicycles off of the tops of gravel pits and "flying" 30 feet or more until they landed on the sand wall, and all sorts of things to drive a parent crazy.

If you don't want to get into such a class, that's your choice, and you are certainly entitled to it. But if you have young ones, I beleive that it is an injustice not to give them those skills. But of course, that is my personal opinion.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Goodweed, I'm well versed in how to fall (having done it a LOT, also have several black belts, 3 senseis and one sifu in the family) HOWEVER, I don't believe I mentioned that I fell stepping out of my van. I didn't even get my second foot planted and I smashed my elbow in the running board of the van. Trust me, no amount of martial arts training in how to fall is going to help you in THAT situation.

Thanks for the "prescription" ladies. I have to be honest, there is enough chocolate in my house right now to kill an army of diabetics several times over. LOL, no Godiva though, I'll stick with my M&M's for now.

Does this ever happen to you? You absolutely smash the crud out of yourself, get a mark for a short time and then nothing. No bruise, no swelling no mark at all! It still hurts like a son of a gun but you have nothing to show for it. And then you have the mystery bruises that show up and you have no clue where they came from? Weird.

Alix, I've learned to just slide out of dh's truck. It is much easier than finding the foodboard for me. I hold on to the grab thing at the top and just slide down. I try not to wear a skirt or dress if I'm riding in the truck.

OH Alix! I just read this. OUCH!!!! An elbow REALLY hurts too! Lock yourself in the bathroom with a nice hot smell-good bubblebath, a nice glass of Merlot, and a box of chocolates....and lots of candles...and your computer so we can still chat - but NO webcam! :ohmy:

I slide out of cabs in lorries too....I used to have a 7 and half tonne horse box that was over weight before any of the horses got in it, lol, and would get out just how you describe licia....only I often did it in mini skirts, lol. Two things I want to do in my life, get my HGV driving licence and learn to fly a helicopter. DH thinks I am mad. I might think about Goodweeds idea of "learning to fall". I sure could do with that. Maybe if I stay well I'll enrole in a gentle beginners martial arts class....whats the easiest for a defunct body Goodweed?

Anyway, hope your elbow feel better soon Alix....you poor thing :) Take care on the ice!!!!

My mother raised 7 kids without any of us having a broken bone, so I suppose we knew how to fall (without realizing it) but I've taken a few nasty falls that hurt. I think some of them may be the reason I have arthritis now. I've had to remind myself that I don't have to go like I'm going to a fire always. It is possible to slow down and still get where I'm going and in one piece with no bruises. I'm more careful now than in the past.

Sometimes just knowing you COULD is enough to make one feel better - takes the pressure off. Hope everything is better very soon. We are all there at one time or another.

ditto on what tatt and fraidy said. in fact, i probably won't be around here for a while, because of it.

'bug, i'll pm you about thanksgiving. i hope we're still on. i wouldn't pass that up. :)

Yikes!

I wonder if it's just the time of year or something. Go ahead and add me to the "lots of bad crap going on" list, too!

Oh well, at least I'm cynical enough to enjoy it these days...

John

Perfect Description

ronjohn55 said:
Yikes!

I wonder if it's just the time of year or something. Go ahead and add me to the "lots of bad crap going on" list, too!

Oh well, at least I'm cynical enough to enjoy it these days...

John
You described it perfectly how my days are here. One thing right after another. But like someone told me that is life. You have to pay to live. Do you think it is time of year? Everything backing up or quit working. Can't save anymore all gone. This morning found nail in my tire. Since it isn't in the tread have to buy new one. Just what I need.

John, reading your comments is encouraging. At least I don't feel alone. Thanks for sharing. I feel your pain.

Wow! Don't give up the ship just yet, everyone. Things will get better. And we can use each other for support. B.T., life is a series of ups and downs, all thrown together, and sometimes at a pace that seems just too fast to handle. But just when things seem to be at their worst, we always seem to come up with an answer, or something happens to break the tension, or an unexpected bit of help arrives just in the nick of time.

Yes, the holidays do bring with them stress. But the successful execution of plans and the helter/skelter organization that moves us forward make all of the efforts justified, especially when we see the freinds, and most importantly, family realize the deserts of our labors.

We on this site have untapped strengths and talents. We have to dig deep into our resevoirs of those strengths and talents. And when we do, we are often amazed at what we can accomplish.

The only people who ever fail, are those who give up.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Wow! Don't give up the ship just yet, everyone. Things will get better. And we can use each other for support. B.T., life is a series of ups and downs, all thrown together, and sometimes at a pace that seems just too fast to handle. But just when things seem to be at their worst, we always seem to come up with an answer, or something happens to break the tension, or an unexpected bit of help arrives just in the nick of time.

Yes, the holidays do bring with them stress. But the successful execution of plans and the helter/skelter organization that moves us forward make all of the efforts justified, especially when we see the freinds, and most importantly, family realize the deserts of our labors.

We on this site have untapped strengths and talents. We have to dig deep into our resevoirs of those strengths and talents. And when we do, we are often amazed at what we can accomplish.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I completely agree with you G'weed. And I'll add that, for some reason, when negative things happen, they seem to happen is bunches, which only makes the stress greater and our natural manner to want to crawl under a rock. Many times I've felt like I was wading through knee-deep cold molasses. And as you said Goodweed, like magic, the answer or some help comes along.

I've always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we may never learn the reason. Or if we do find out why something happens, we may not like the reason. That's just what is. And, finally, it may take years and years to discover out why something happened.

In the wise words of my mother-in-law, "This, too, shall pass."

Hey, everyone, just keep on keepin' on. DC is a wonderful place that offers support and safe haven.

Goodweed of the North said:

No worries GW - The only thing my parents ever refused to teach me or let me learn was how to give up. As a result, as annoying as it can be at times in my life, I simply refuse to give up. Just don't know how to do it.

And like I said, at least the cynic in me gets to shine during times like this!
(And boy, can he ever be a grade A you-know-what!) :-p

John

Ditto...many, many frustrations right now. Hasving failed to sell my dear little car (which I am secretly quite pleased about, but DH mustn't know that) I have spent all day trying to get UK insurance that will give me coverage in Italy.....the EU was at least meant to make that kind of thing easier, but NO...90 days is the maximum I have found so far. THEN booked Matthew (my car) in to have sat nav and a towbar fitted only to be told I cannot have a tow bar on my model of car....

I gues that I just have to try and travel even lighter...but I can't drive home to England every 90 days to reinsure....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom