"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #3341
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
...One cane I used for when my knee got so bad I couldn't walk, it is a plain oak cane, meaning no special engravings or anything on it.
It just goes to prove that sometimes the most practical isn't the prettiest!

Barbara

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #3342
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
It just goes to prove that sometimes the most practical isn't the prettiest!

Barbara
True, it's not totally ugly I like Oak wood . Hubby had to cut it down a little being I'm 5'1" It has the ugliest rubber bottom .

Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #3343
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love oak. My sister carves walking sticks. They aren't decorated (painted, etc.) but are beautiful in their curves and lines. Sometimes adding decoration to things is too much (like a little curio cabinet James got me--he thought I might want to paint decorations on it, but it is perfect the way it is).

As far as the rubber thing--I guess it is best to be practical, but maybe you could find a replacement that matches the color or something.

Barbara
Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #3344
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My walking partner has gone NUTS!!! She's a size 0, has 13% of body fat and she feels she needs to lose MORE weight. I told her we were burning about 500 calories in our morning walks of 1.5 hours and she said it wasn't enough. She may very well be on an 800 calorie diet. Argh! She's weighing herself 6 times daily and I find it crazy, almost mental. I want to help her and try to explain how our bodies work (especially at 40) but she doesn't seem to understand. It must be terrible to live obsessed that way.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #3345
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
My walking partner has gone NUTS!!! She's a size 0, has 13% of body fat and she feels she needs to lose MORE weight. I told her we were burning about 500 calories in our morning walks of 1.5 hours and she said it wasn't enough. She may very well be on an 800 calorie diet. Argh! She's weighing herself 6 times daily and I find it crazy, almost mental. I want to help her and try to explain how our bodies work (especially at 40) but she doesn't seem to understand. It must be terrible to live obsessed that way.
Well, I'm really sorry to hear that about your walking partner.........are you sure she's not anorexic or bulimic???---not that there's much you can do about that if you're only a walking companion but you can be a listening ear....if you continue to walk with her keep an eye on her and be sure that you have your cell phone with you at all times......sorry to hear that she feels repulsed by her own body.......and you're right.......it's an obsession that just takes over their whole lives and way of thinking......maybe she'll confide in you.........good luck
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #3346
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Dina,
do keep an eye open..There isn't anything you can do believe me..I had medicine induced anorexia and there was nothing anyone could do...I'd been so unhappy trying to lose weight that when this med completely took away my appetite I was thrilled,shopping became so much fun as I at first watched the weight just melt away...I ended up weighing 90 lbs and to this day cannot remember my daughters wedding..I have to watch the video...The point is you can't help yourself and resent anyone who tries to help you..The med was taken off the market and I was put on something else for my diabetes, but it took me years to get my weight up to 110 but now I am aware of things thank the lord..JUst stand by your friend,and pray a lot..
kades
Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #3347
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Yes Expat and Kades. I will keep a lookout for her. I got really worried when she told me she'd gone to a surgeon to see if she could have liposuction. My mouth dropped! The doctor, of course, told her she had no fat to take out. When she mentions what a beautiful figure her 14 year old daughter has, I reiterate how attractive muscle looks on a woman (hoping she will eat a bit more to build lean muscle). She insists that she's a cup C but it looks more like an A to me, honestly. The other worry is that she's got her daugther all wrapped up on this diet, count-every-single calorie craziness.

When I dropped to 146 pounds (I'm 5'6" tall) to a size 8, she thought I looked great. When I mentioned that I was a size 8, she was mortified! She could not believe that a person can look good in a size 8. Geez! I'm really worried about her.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #3348
Master Chef

if you want to, message me. your buddy has an eating or exercise problem, from my view. anorexia is very, very stubborn. eventually maybe she'll fall into treatment. ((((((hugs)))))))

ugh, i sound so negative. i mean, they aren't easy to fix, eating disorders. i understand your concern.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #3349
Master Chef

Glad that you're going to be on the lookout, Dina...........liposuction? OMG! My niece admitted to me about 5 years ago that she had been bulimic (actually I'm not sure that she's really over it as she never received therapy but she does look fine and had a healthy pregnancy) but she confided in me that she feared that she would end up looking like her parents and brother (who could stand to lose about 40 lbs each) and she went into the health/exercise field (which is what many anorexics/bulimics do or ballet or gymnastics, etc)........I read somewhere and I'm NOT quoting it as gospel by any means as there a many contributory factors involved but it sure makes sense in my niece's case---that is, some come from very controlling people that they look up to.......my sister a control freak? Nah............well, that's another off thread topic to discuss.........anyway, they feel like that is one area that they are in control of.......their bodies........well, you sound like a great friend to be so concerned.....I'll walk with you :):) Hope that she does better...........
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #3350
Master Chef

healthy pregnancies mean nothing , & most bulimicics 'er either normal or overweight, while few 'er severely underweight.
my buddy got pregnant twice & at under 90 pounds with her new baby barely over 100 with her deliveries.

Closed Thread