"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #341
Head Chef
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Supposedly, we signed Terrell Owens!! This is one fan that just turned her back on the Cowboys!! I can not believe that Jerry Jones would sign a guy that thought it would be funny to dance on our star in our own stadium!!
George Teague should have done more than level the jerk in that game!!
Dallas has enough problems without bringing this @@$% into our town!!!!
AARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! He is pure trouble!!!
Wow! I'm sorry for you tex - but soooooo happy for me I thought Denver was going to sign him!

Practice random acts of kindness.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #342
Chef Extraordinaire
I feel just as you do. There is no place in my life for this foolishness. The guy is an A#1 jerk..He is a star trouble maker..My dad had a name for guys like him, but I can't say it here As much as I love sports, this I can do without.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
Old 03-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #343
Chef Extraordinaire
Is it because they are teenagers?

My kid has gone brain dead. She just got her interim report card, and is getting Ds and Fs - primarily because she has not turned in her homework. Yeah, that simple task seems to be beyond her ability.

We had a nice screaming-at-her session Friday, with the usual predictions of life behind the counter at McDonald's, being the only 8th grader with a driver's license, and a future with no money to have any fun in life, or even purchase basic necessities.

Nothing seems to penetrate her skull.

So what do we do, besides tying her to a chair every day when she gets home from school?
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #344
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Mudbug, I wish I knew what to tell you. If you ever find out - please tell me. My daughter is in 7th grade - and is getting good grades - however, I feel it is because of US. Pushing her to do homework, etc. Why can't they just do it? I don't remember my folks sitting with me through homework - I came home, I did it - usually no questions asked, and got fine grades. I feel for you - it sounds like you are doing all the right things! Hang in there sweetie!
Michele Marie
Old 03-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #345
mudbug, what does she truly value extracurricular wise? I think that would be my next move. "Since you clearly can't prioritize for yourself, we are going to help you by removing you from (------) until your grades improve." I don't know if you want to tell her that is what she will lose first or just yank her.

Unfortunately, YOU are going to be punished just as much as she will when you have to stand over her to make sure her work is done.

I'm here if you want to gab. We're behind you mudbug, you will do the right thing no matter what you do. You're a good and caring mom. {{{{{{{{{{mudbug}}}}}}}}}
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #346
Chef Extraordinaire
thank you, Michelle Marie and Alix. It's especially difficult for me to figure out what to do because I was like MM - didn't have parents hovering over me about homework. I just did it.

We are taking away the cell phone, the Ipod, and private telephone conversations in general. All calls will be made/answered on the kitchen phone within earshot of good ole mom and dad.

All homework will now be done at the kitchen table (groan, Alix - I know you are right about the checking).

No more TV breaks between school and homework - it gets done right when she gets home.

I am undecided about ruling out TV altogether. If I shut it off permanently for an indefinite period, she will view reading books as a punishment instead of an enjoyable pastime. Can't imagine the guilt of rearing a kid to think of books as the devil incarnate. But I can't make her love reading either.

Arrrggghhhh...this is so hard.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #347
Chief Eating Officer
Mudbug if you ever feel like talking then I am here for you. I can talk to you from your daughters point of view as that was me as a kid.

On thing I do know, when I was forced to do homework at the kitchen table then it got done as long as I didn't lie and say I didn't have any homework.

Good luck Mud! I know what you are going through is not easy.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
Old 03-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #348
Senior Cook
Oh Mudbug, I feel like you are living my life...I have a seventh grader whose progress report revealed 4 failing grades and two passing ones. We just got end of quarter grades, she managed to bring all but one grade up to passing. I have requested a conference w/ all her teachers, me and Dave, and Sami. Her teachers said at progress report time that she was drawing in class, reading Anime books and basically not paying attention to them or turning in her work. As her discipline, we took away her computer, phone priviledges and extra curricular activities. The only thing she was allowed to do was read, church, and hang w/ dear old mum and dad! We were happy she ended up failing only one class.

The upsetting thing is that I know she is capable of doing so much better. She is incredibly gifted at drawing and designing, especially for a 12 year old-we keep telling her how bright her future will be.

I did feel a little encouraged by her SS teacher. He said that most often kids didn't start getting it until the 8th grade. He said something just clicks for them...so maybe hope is coming! Hang in there! and know you aren't going through this alone! I know it just has to get better!!!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #349
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Jenny and Mudbug - listening to you talk is like hearing my own voice in my head. My daughter is a bit "social" - she is the center of the 7th grade - and it drives me nuts (I hope my son grows up to be a nerd in middle school).

Last quarter her midterms showed acceptable grades IF I knew she was trying, but she wasn't and they were simply unacceptable. She wants to socialize more than anything.

What we did - during that time - was no computer during the week at all. No phone until all homework was done - and here is the catch - done to the highest of her ability - no slop! We curtailed social activities down too. We also said homework at the kitchen table only, too. We did see an improvement - her report card was very good. But why all the effort on our part?

We try to tell her she is a student first, then ms. social director. I keep telling her being a good parent is hard - being a lousy parent (and there are plenty out there) is easy. I cannot believe what some of these parents allow!

I don't know what you have been called, but I am the meanest mom on around - and am glad for it. Good luck to both of you - it sounds like you are great (mean) moms! Be proud of yourself!
Michele Marie
Old 03-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #350
Master Chef
Boys are so much easier as far as discipline. Mine didn't care about school and it would have been easier to pull all their teeth than get them to do homework. They weren't like a girl throwing the tantrums, they just went to their rooms with the puppy dog faces. LOL

I'm like GB, I was the one that was failing all the time. I started out by skipping school and stopped doing homework. I failed 6th grade and had to go to summer school. It was a rebellion thing. Parent's divorcing, etc.
Well, in high school, mom decided that all the stuff she took away or grounded me, wasn't working, so, she went the other way. If I passed all my classes each 6 weeks, I got to pick a restaurant to go too for dinner that next weekend. Didn't matter how much or if she liked the food either. That, for some reason, did it for me. I wasn't a A or B student after 5 th grade, so, she just wanted me to pass with at least a 70. My grades did come up, I was making between 75 and 80's. It was more of a goal instead of worrying about punishment. Don't know that it would work with anyone else, but, it did for me and when we told the boys that they could get a new Playstation game when they passed, it worked for them too.

Closed Thread