Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh poor you Michelemarie. I don't know how to advice you, but from my experience(we re-did our kitchen last summer) the self cleaning oven we have still needs me to clean it! Everyone here says the self clean can clean, but you have to clean it yourself! I hope the rest of it is great and that it works well as per the deal. Good luck.:chef:

Michelemarie said:
This is a vent as well as a boo-hoo:( . DH and I went appliance shoppping for the better part of yesterday. Our "find" and our only purchase was a Miele double "true" convection oven. The sales lady said this came with all the bells and whistles, both ovens self cleaning, double rotisserie, two probes, concealed elements, glass front, six racks - which five can fit in one oven, blah, blah, blah. :

Hello Michelemarie, could you return it on the grounds that it isn't as described by the saleswoman?

Oh yes! We were very honest with the sales woman and she assured us we could "return" it before it was delivered next week. I just got off the phone with her and she is doing some checking - I have my fingers crossed that there is a mistake somewhere, but the bottom line is if this beautiful oven is not self cleaning it is not coming to my house - :( :( . Keep your fingers crossed for me!

pdswife said:
:mad: :mad: :( :( :sick:
I was rear ended last night!!!
I was coming off the freeway...almost at a complete stop and the girl behind me ( eating salad) and not paying any attention slammed into me. She hit me hard enough to push me into the truck in front of me. Luckily, it was a big pickup and I only hit his trailor hitch ball. No damage to his truck. My car will have to have both the front grill and both the front and back bumpers replaced. The poor girls car was ruined though. I had to feel sorry for her after the first five minutes.

I have a strained leg muscle and my neck and back are kind of sore.
but...that's to be expected.

Paul has been wonderful:)
I called him and he showed up at the accident about
10 minutes after the state police arrived. I wanted to go home
but he insisted that I go to the hostpital. He has also called the insurance people so I didn't have to deal with it! He takes such good care of me.

So sorry to hear about this pds! I know exactly how you feel. Some young kid rear ended my Grand Am GT several years ago......completely totalled it. We were waiting for a train to pass.....thankfully we were a few cars back from the train and we were far enough back from the car in front of us. All I remember is DH looked in his rearview mirror and said, "Oh XXXX"! and got a firm grip on the steering wheel....and BAM! We always wear our seatbelts so that prevented some very awful injuries and our youngest was in his car seat. I was the only one to get injuries and it was just pulled muscles in my back but enough to lay me up for 2 weeks and to have therapy. I was just thankful no one was seriously injured. I felt sorry for the boy at first but then became angry for his stupidity. But then I realized things happen for a reason and to be thankful it wasn't as bad as it could of been.
I hope you heal quickly and am glad Paul is helping you through this. Heal quickly! I did learn to have complete and utter sympathy for anyone with back injuries.......its awful.

Michelemarie said:
Oh yes! We were very honest with the sales woman and she assured us we could "return" it before it was delivered next week. I just got off the phone with her and she is doing some checking - I have my fingers crossed that there is a mistake somewhere, but the bottom line is if this beautiful oven is not self cleaning it is not coming to my house - :( :( . Keep your fingers crossed for me!

So sorry Michele! I have to agree with the whole self cleaning thing...........I still have to clean my oven even though its self cleaning.

Thanks Sizz.
I'm glad you weren't hurt badly either.
It's funny though... the first day my leg hurt, yesterday it was my neck and today it's my lower back. Neck and leg still hurt a little but they are much much better.

Michele hope everything works out for you!

SizzlininIN said:
So sorry Michele! I have to agree with the whole self cleaning thing...........I still have to clean my oven even though its self cleaning.

Wow! I must have the best oven. I've had my Whirlpool self-cleaning oven for quite a few years and it looks like it did the day it was installed. I've never had to clean it myself. All I've ever done is throw the "ON" switch and in about 90 minutes it's just like new.

pdswife said:
Thanks Sizz.
I'm glad you weren't hurt badly either.
It's funny though... the first day my leg hurt, yesterday it was my neck and today it's my lower back. Neck and leg still hurt a little but they are much much better.

Michele hope everything works out for you!

I remember immediately after the accident I didn't hurt but within 1/2 hour of sitting on the curb letting the police do their thing my back started tightening up by that night oh boy........the next day is when I got the full effect.... full blown back pain.
Hope you feel better soon.

Katie E said:
Wow! I must have the best oven. I've had my Whirlpool self-cleaning oven for quite a few years and it looks like it did the day it was installed. I've never had to clean it myself. All I've ever done is throw the "ON" switch and in about 90 minutes it's just like new.

Personally, I've never had any luck with them. In the future I'm not going to even require that as a feature. When something says self cleaning I shouldn't have to go back in after the fact and finish its work :(

Gas?

Katie E said:

Kate E, is this a gas or electric stove? I always prefer gas and they say cannot get stove w/self cleaning if it is gas.

In the Kitchen said:
Kate E, is this a gas or electric stove? I always prefer gas and they say cannot get stove w/self cleaning if it is gas.
I customized mine. It's a gas cooktop with an electric oven. And, as I said, it's a Whirlpool, which we LOVE. The cooktop is Whirlpool, too. So is our refrigerator and our washer and dryer. All appliances have performed supremely. Our dishwasher is a Jenn-Air that we bought at a thrift store for $15. Another gem. Turns out it was a floor model donated by an appliance store because it was a floor model that had been discontinued. (Jenn-Air tracked this information from the model and serial number we gave them.) We really lucked out with it. Awesome machine.

Can't say enough good things about our cooktop and oven. I've always liked cooking on gas and baking/roasting, etc. with electricity. These products have given us the perfect marriage of both. When we remodel our kitchen in the future, we will definitely consider Whirlpool appliances.

Even though we live in a very rural area, the Whirlpool service here is way above first class. Any service we've needed has been minor and has been taken care of in a matter of hours.

P.S. We have no connection at all with Whirlpool. Just like their products.

Michelemarie, if in fact there is problem you can use the false advertisement reason to return the thing and not only that but demand discount on the next item for all the pain and suffering the sales person put you thru.

:) Thanks CharlieD - I talked to the saleswoman on Sunday and told her that the oven is NOT self-cleaning and that we would have to cancel the order. She said she couldn't believe it and would do some research and call me back. I have not heard from her, but I think Monday is her day off. I hope she calls tomorrow. The problem, other than not being a self-clean machine, is that we will not be ready to install this oven until Jan-Feb sometime and their return policy is only 30 days - sooooooo, I am not sure I want to take her word for it - I am torn, part of me hopes there was a mistake and it really is self-cleaning, but the other part of me (the safe part) thinks it needs to stay at that store - I can't take a chance. However, I never thought of asking for an additional discount for the error on her part - maybe I can afford a new one after all! Thanks CharlieD!:)

If I were you I'd call and ask to speak to the manager, as the matter of fact you should do that. Get the name , make sure to note of who he/she is and when you spoke to him/her. If there is problem stores are hard to deal with nowadays. Customer is Never right, seems to be the policy as of late.

Probably shouldn't be doing this. But I'm doing it anyway. My gripe, pressure cooker job creates stress due to mismanagement.

The situation, co-worker refuses to work out of town due to extra-curricular activities. He coaches hockey. He has young children. I take the out-of-town assignment.

Given 3 days to run cable, terminate cable, find all info concerning customer telephone services including phone numbers, hunt gorups of those phone numbers, fax numbers, etc. Never been to the location. Never worked with this particular customer. Also was required to remove the phone system from the previous location and install it at the new location, and place all phones with the correct phone numbers in the correct rooms. Also had to wait for SBC/Ameritech to get outside service to the building before I could get the phones working.

SBC was a day late, causing me to have to rush the job on the last day to get the customer up and running. So I got everything done on time for the customer with the help of my boss the first day, and his son the second day. Also, things were more rushed on the third day because I wasn't allowed to stay overnight near the work site as the boss's son needed to work on the second day, and he lives in our home town area and couldn't stay the night. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from our home site to the work site, each way.

I made a mistake and connected the wrong line from SBC to the fax. Now more work had to be done on site to expand the phone system ports as the customer wanted more phones than the existing system could support. So another trip was in the works. And we also needed two more phones ordered, which aren't yet in, or even ordered (my boss's job).

I got hamered for the mistake, and read the riot act stating that I was costing the organization money and if I were in business for myself, I'd starve, and how hard can it be? It's just a simple phone system.

Well when you're driving 7 hours a day, and putting in another 4 houors or so of work on top of that for three days staight, and thrown in cold with no previous prep work done by anyone else, it can be difficult. In addition, I had to install the LAN equipment and make it work, normally not part of my Telecom job description.

I'm just tired of getting hammered unnecessarily for things that are easily fixed, and don't even require an extra trip to do it. This was a mole hill made into a mountain, and the mountain dropped on me. It's just frustrating sometimes.

But then again, compared to the issues others on this site have had to face, this is really small potatoes. I need to put things in perspective again, and realize that I have a fairly well-paying job in the area I live in, and a house that's paid for, and a host of other blessings, including the best four children a father could ask for. And my boss is a great boss in some ways. But he's not very good at lifting one's spirits, and I did make the mistake.

In this time of Thanksgiving, I need, we all need to focus on the positives in our lives and try to make life better for others. I just needed to rant for a moment. I'm good now.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom