"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #351
Chef Extraordinaire

Michelle and Jenny - the most frustrating part is that this child of mine is not learning-disabled. On the state tests she routinely gets marks in the "advanced" category. So she can do the work - she just doesn't feel like it. (MM- she does have tons of friends too- who all tell her how cool she is)

MM- I have been called everything in the book (not easy to swallow when you've waited as long as I did to have a kid), but you are right, and I'm grittting my teeth to get thru this.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #352
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I'm sorry Mudbug. Maybe we should cut their hair and blacken their teeth and make them wear ugly clothes. I know your frustration with knowing she can do it if she applied herself. Take it day by day, you are a good mom! The light at the end of the tunnel: One day she will thank you - can't say when "one day" is - but hopefully it will be sooner than later! Hugs to you my friend, and know that you are not alone.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #353
Executive Chef

For me, in highschool, I didn't have a problem doing the homework. I just never went to class.

Our neighbor's son is having the same problem. She has him bring home weekly progress reports from his teachers every Friday. Maybe your daughter could do the same with the homework written out and the teacher could say what she did and didn't hand in for that week, as well as any big projects coming up. If anything, it will probably embarass her enough, she might actually keep doing her homework so that she doesn't have to bring home reports anymore.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #354
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you all, ladies (and geebs), for making this mom's burden a little easier today. I so truly appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #355
Everymom

Thats what Moms do for each other. Heres to you Moms *holding wine glass aloft...CLINK*
Old 03-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #356
Chef Extraordinaire

Amen, Alix. Here's to all of us mean moms. We must not be an endangered species after all...............
Old 03-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #357
Executive Chef

This is why I like the show Wife Swap. The hubby and kids are so happy to see you after two weeks, they'll do anything.

All together now (sing):

I couldn't live without your love
Now I know you're really mine...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #358
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mudbug,
You're not alone. My 11 year old son is so intelligent but just doesn't want to do the school work. His teachers see his potential and have told me this year after year but he just won't focus on the work and apply himself. I keep pushing him and know that I'm never going to let it slide. Even when he's in middle school and high school, he's going to see mom and dad making unexpected visits to school. I believe that if you keep on top of things, know what they're up to and never let your guard down on them, they will eventually snap out of whatever it is they're going through and succeed. Hang in there and have faith.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #359
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, inspired by Brooksy's bad day yesterday I thought I would post this thread for folks to vent those petty things that make us nuts.

Mine is sewing related. My thread keeps breaking, my bobbin ran out and when I tried to refill it the stupid thing went flying somewhere across the room and the thread wound around the post instead. ARGH! So, I am here for a few minutes to regain my composure and stop swearing at the machine.

Oh, Alix...I am all to familiar with your dilemma. I have been a seamstress for all my life, until the last few years. When my babies were young, I took in sewing to add to our income. I had an excellent machine, but I used it so much, I had to oil and clean it once a week. My dad replaced 2 motors and 3 foot-pedals. It finally spit out the bits when the shaft bent.
I have a new machine now, but every time I get ready to use it, I have the same problems you do.
You are right to get away from it for a few minutes. When you feel ready to go back, things will fall together for you.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #360
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Amen, Alix. Here's to all of us mean moms. We must not be an endangered species after all...............
Mudbug, you're not alone,believe me. With my four it was like a merry go round. my baby a daughter, was stubborn, independent,loved to party but school, why bother??? If she could, it would be skip school go to mall..or a friends house and watch TV..So, I made it my business to be on her all the time..You've heard I had a little shadow who went in and out with me? Well my kid had two little shadows, hers and mine I joined the sports booster club, got to know the teachers and principle at the high school, and let me tell you I made sure to keep my ears open when a chat on the phone suddenly was whispered not normal talking tone. Every time she turned around she bumped her cute little nose into good ol mom..Sure I was mean, it wasn't my job to keep her from having fun, how come I didn't work like other moms, why didn't I get a hobby,buy a puppy,drop dead..Sure it hurt like the kickens..But, everytime she said that, I replied that I had my job, her, her sister, her 2 brothers and that was how it was gonna be. Like it or not that was it. I did this dance with here through high school and after one year of college, she was gonna live on her own..At least once a month she was moving out..After several months, surprise I told her go ahead, well then could I help? Could she borrow money, NOPE, get a job,if you intend to be on your own you do it by being responsible. She finally figured out that to do all these things, why she'd have to listen to good ol mom!!!! Now, my maker of white hair is a mother of Ethan and Olivia, teaches 1 grade, has her own home and guess what?? Gee, mom, I'm so glad you loved me enough to CARE...Now there isn't a time she leaves this house to go to her own home that her dad and I both get big hugs and warm kisses. And a thanks mom. Be that mean ol mom Mud, she will look up one day and see you with different eyes..I promise..
hugs friend..I'm here is you need me.

kadesma