"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #3591
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
My vent today is a lady I work with - she absolutely hates "west coast people" and has added it to her personal agenda each day to make that known to me each time she sees me. She will say things like - "oh, is that how they dress on the west coast?", or "who told you that was cute?", or - "can I tell you something or do I need to get a translator that speaks slow laid back lazy west coast speech?".
I've told my supervisor that honestly I'm very tired of her attitude towards me and she said it's just a control thing with her - the lady retires in April and to not take it personally, she's just jealous. But my counter is why she should be allowed - and why should I have to listen to that - just because she's going to retire soon? What gives her the right other than her own personal bitter woman problems to pick on me?
Pdswife is the only one that knows me here and knows that I would never argue with this woman or say anything mean to her because it's just not "me". But the woman seems to go out of her way to come and make a crappy comment to me.
I am off work til Saturday and she will be back on Monday, if she says anything at all to me, I've decided I will go to the Union board.
Anyway, that's all. :-) Thanks for listening (reading). :-)
First off, she's obviously ignorant on two levels. One would be on what "west coast people" are actually like. Where I was from on the west coast we talked far faster than anything I've encountered on the east coast. In the south I've often wondered if some people have a fast forward button so I can speed them up. Second ~ she's oblivious to the fact that she could be jeopardizing her retirement by harassing you. Harassment is not just sexual in nature. It's anything done to "put you down" or "put you in your place" in a non-professional way or by a non-supervisor. I would document your report to your supervisor and if nothing is done, escalate it. You should not be treated like that. If you are in a union, you pay your dues, get your money's worth.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #3592
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I happen to like WestCoast people!

LeeAnn Stick up for yourself!! Give it back to her! I know you can do it!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #3593
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with the others LeeAnn. If she says one more thing, definitely go to the union board. In fact, after what your supervisor said, maybe you should anyway.

Barbara
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #3594
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I've worked the last 5 days in a row. I was only going to work 4 days a week but they have been having "personnell" issues so I have been picking up a 5th day.... I cannot find it in myself to say no when they need help and I need money....
Anyway, I was going to have today thru friday off.... 3 days, finally. But I picked up tomorrow.
My vent is thatI had so many things I was going to get done around here today and did absolutely nothing of value besides dishes a few loads of laundry..... not folded.
I cannot muster up anything to do anything useful. I feel like an alien in my own home today, and now I have to go back to work tomorrow.
I did need the time to just hang out with DH a bit, but I was hoping to at least multi-task. Now I feel like a big slob with a messy house, and I'll probably end up cleaning like a mad woman after dinner instead of chillin' with the kids.
AAARRRRRRGGGGHH!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #3595
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Suzi, you spent time with me! Ya made me feel better about my bad day! Ya did good!! Thank you!!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #3596
Chef Extraordinaire

oh thank you!
now if you would please come kick my butt into clean mode, I'd gladly brown some onions for you!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #3597
Chef Extraordinaire

Remember FREAKY FRIDAY? Wouldn't it be cool if we could change lives just for a few days? Wouldn't we both realize how good we really have it?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #3598
Chef Extraordinaire

ok...... I'lll start running west......
BANG!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3599
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I've worked the last 5 days in a row. I was only going to work 4 days a week but they have been having "personnell" issues so I have been picking up a 5th day.... I cannot find it in myself to say no when they need help and I need money....
Anyway, I was going to have today thru friday off.... 3 days, finally. But I picked up tomorrow.
My vent is thatI had so many things I was going to get done around here today and did absolutely nothing of value besides dishes a few loads of laundry..... not folded.
I cannot muster up anything to do anything useful. I feel like an alien in my own home today, and now I have to go back to work tomorrow.
I did need the time to just hang out with DH a bit, but I was hoping to at least multi-task. Now I feel like a big slob with a messy house, and I'll probably end up cleaning like a mad woman after dinner instead of chillin' with the kids.
AAARRRRRRGGGGHH!
Suzie, you need to cut yourself some serious slack, girlfriend! Take it from a woman who has raised a lot of kids. There have been many years that I felt like a slob and my house was messy. It bothered me because I thought I wasn't a good mom or wife if my house was perpetually messy. But like you, I picked having fun with the kids or just being with them over housework more times than not. Here's the surprise - none of them remember the messy house!!!! They do remember us hanging out together so much. And they feel lucky to have had that. You just have to remember that hanging out with your family has value.

Now that I don't have so many young ones at home my house is less messy. BUT if you saw it right now, you'd never believe me. There are scraps of fabric and sewing machines and all sorts of stuff everywhere!!! But my son will remember that I made his bride a beautiful dress and that I embroidered his brothers' wedding attire and that I handled all the little last minute things they forgot and he'll never give this messy house a second thought.

So tonight, you need to chill out with your family. Believe me, the housework will be waiting for you when you get around to it. And BTW, you are an awesome mom!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3600
Chef Extraordinaire

Aw thanks Terry, I really don't feel like it lately being back at work mostly full time.... I'm helping put food on the table.... that's not especially being a good mom....
and especially when I have so much fun with the girls when I'm there!!!! That makes me feel even worse... I didn't stick them in daycare or anything, but Dad just isn't the same ya know...
Oh well. Someday.