"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #3601
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Aw thanks Terry, I really don't feel like it lately being back at work mostly full time.... I'm helping put food on the table.... that's not especially being a good mom....
and especially when I have so much fun with the girls when I'm there!!!! That makes me feel even worse... I didn't stick them in daycare or anything, but Dad just isn't the same ya know...
Oh well. Someday.
See? That's why you're a good mom - you feel guilty about having fun without them! Seriously, if you never gave them a second thought when you were at work....well....you'd be a Dad! Only joking guys. Putting food on the table is being a good mom when that's what needs to be done.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #3602
Master Chef

awww, suz, i almost got tearful. you're a great person.
often work is important. i've read you're struggling, & my fam struggled, too, & hear me when i say very young kiddos understand that days 'er better fer them if Mum/Dad work late some days. that means fresh crayons, new sneakers, & a spiffy Mom.
& your babies aren't going hungry cause thier Mum is putting food on thier table!!

my Parents worked full-time since i was born, & i wasn't affected. i was with Gram & Pap during my days. was oblivious to my Parent's work, cause i knew they'd left me with people i loved & would be there at 5:30 fer us.

& 99% of stuff that needed to be cleaned, dishes aside, were from us kiddos.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #3603
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Suzi,
As long as you put something to eat on the table and gather all your family around it, nothing else matters. The material things are secondary but the quality time you spend with family is priceless. Hugs my friend. Take a breather.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #3604
Head Chef

Suzi, you know the thread where we all complained about something our Moms made when we were younger that we hated? Well, we talk about it, but what we really remember as we get older is that Mom loved us enough to cook for us with whatever means she had, and that the food wasn't the most important thing of our childhood.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #3605
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with everything said Suzi. Enjoy your kids!

Barbara
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #3606
Chef Extraordinaire

Suzi,
I can hear the love in your voice as you write to see how we will feel about your working so much. You and your husband agreed on this, your babies are being taken care of and you are making sure they are eating and have proper
clothes to wear.My mom worked every day I can remember..I don't remember
feeling neglected or I just was happy when she came home and we had dinner together, then my dad would put the dishes in the sink and we would listen to the radio, then came a bath then a story as they both tucked me into bed..Mom would start the story and my little daddy would do sound effects. Once I started to fall asleep, off they would go and do the dishes together..I can remember them laughing and whispering and to that I'd fall asleep.secure knowing I was loved and cherished...Suzi,
you kids know they are loved and I admire you for working so hard..You are providing and showing them what love is all about. I respect you girl you are a mom to recon with.
hugs,
kades
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #3607
Executive Chef

Suzie - don't feel a slob. Family is more important, I hope you spent the time with your family. You could always involve them in the tidying and cleaning - make a game of it. Mine are a bit older, but we have cleaning time on a Sunday for about an hour, where everybody is doing a bit and the house looks much better at the end.

I must admit, I don't notice messyness as much as DW.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3608
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Suzie - don't feel a slob. Family is more important, I hope you spent the time with your family. You could always involve them in the tidying and cleaning - make a game of it. Mine are a bit older, but we have cleaning time on a Sunday for about an hour, where everybody is doing a bit and the house looks much better at the end.

I must admit, I don't notice messyness as much as DW.
My daughter makes a game of it when she can. Now and then she will call for a 10-minute clean-up. She sets a timer for 10 minutes, and during that 10 minutes everyone picks up and puts away/throws away as much as possible. The kids (10 and 7) like the competitive nature of this.

Barbara
Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #3609
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
My daughter makes a game of it when she can. Now and then she will call for a 10-minute clean-up. She sets a timer for 10 minutes, and during that 10 minutes everyone picks up and puts away/throws away as much as possible. The kids (10 and 7) like the competitive nature of this.

Barbara
We do this, too, Barbara. We call it "a blitz". I set the timer for anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour. The rule is that everyone works their butts off for that amount of time but all cleaning ceases the instant the timer goes off and there will be no more cleaning for the day. I read this in a great book called "The Mother's Almanac" years ago and it really works! I've found that 15 minutes for really young children works best but teens will do an hour without much protest. (Sadly, I've never gotten my husband past 5 minutes.)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #3610
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I won't even get in to trying to get them to help....
But thanks so much everyone you've made my day.

Now off to work.... again....
:(