"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #3621
Master Chef
i could cry. they're like babies to me, animals. who could ignore sad puppy-eyes or that baby meow of a kitten. i'm sad & angry. i don't get buying a kitty or pupkins you don't want!!!
stray animals swarm at my Parents, plus dropoffs. we fed so many feral kitties, & during winter, i'd let felix curl into my coat & he'd purr!!! ohhhhhh, i get so sad over animals.
i get to see my & my Parent's furbabies Sunday!!!

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #3622
Master Chef
the most heartless lady came to the house with her daughter and wanted to take the cutest kitten and then announced to her in front of me that they would get rid of it after her project for animal care (this was Cairo and getting rid of could have meant anything from where she spawned from)............I took one look at her and said "No, I'm sorry.........but my kittens are not for you, then"...........unfortunately I had to run into her and had run-ins with her many years after that.......I actually had her daughter in my Girl Scout Troop and she got carsick on a very busy roundabout.......we cleaned her up, put her in the front seat when it was safe to pull over and tried to call Mom.......no answer.......Melanie refused to go home though I had a driver to take her and we went on with the meeting and she was perfectly fine........that night I got the most nasty phone call from her mum demanding to know why I had not let Melanie out of the car at the point that she said she was feeling sickish............I spoke to her like I would to a mentally challenged child......slowly and precisely........well you know that roundabout (British design) near the railroad tracks with 3 million cars going every which way but loose? Well, do YOU think that we should have stopped to let her out then and there???????? It was wonderful to hear the stammering and the clearing of the throat on the other end......don't mess with me...that was just one of several battles.......

how anyone could hurt animals is just beyond me

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #3623
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Here in the Hamptons, ARF is very present. There are feeding groups that go around to the feral colonies and lovingly feed the animals. Pets are trapped-spayed/neutered-vaccinated and released back to the colony. One ear is lopped partially off so ARF can tell that the animal has been taken care of. One of the houses we lived in this past spring had a colony living behind of about 12 cats - a rather small one. We got 9 trapped and only one had to be put to sleep, she ended up having a huge tumor in her stomach, she wasn't just chubby like we thought. My girls had named her Lucky because in all the times we had been feeding them, she was obviously very old, beautiful long fur (though matted), and missing most of her teeth.

We put a combo of hard/soft food out 2x a day for the colony on our back porch - some would come up while we were there, but we could only pet a few of them until they realized we were touching them. :-) Always water, and once a day we'd heat some milk for all of them, as a little treat.

One cat was all black, small, missing an eye that was severely infected, and very pregnant. ARF kept her til the babies were born, adopted out all 5 of her babies, and released her back to our house. Gypsy - as I called her was so vicious with them so the girls and I went in a few times to visit, she would be nice and calm each time we were there to talk to her.

There was one kitten in the colony, about 4 months old. She was trapped, spayed and chipped. A wild little thing my youngest daughter named Pipsy - she was Gypsy's only surviving baby from her last litter. We brought her into our house and it took about a week before she would come out from the little cave area we made for her, but now she's SO affectionate, we know she's very thankful for her little comfy life now. She's so affectionate that sometimes I have to keep putting her to the side off of me and eventually she'll settle down next to one of our legs, or across our lap - and just stare at us, it's so cute.

Anyway, all that rambling to say that there are so many pet lovers, and way too many animal haters - if they don't want the animal or can't take care of it, then drop it off in a box at a vets door during the night, or some animal shelter, or at someones house that they know has a well loved animal and let them deal with finding a good home for the pet. How hard can that be? And as much as I am against animal cruelty, I still feel that if an animal has killed another, it will continue. I feel they have to be put to sleep because the consequences of keeping that animal alive and the damage that will be done is not good. Regardless of how much the animal is tame and loving when around their owner, you can't predict what is going on in the animals mind and what they will do. Control has to be with not only keeping a leash on the animal, that only goes so far in protecting other animals and people from them.
~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #3624
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh LeeAnn... you and the kitty Cats...lol.. how many do you have now? They seem to come to you because they know you and and the girls will love and take care of them.

Smiles, Trish!!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #3625
Executive Chef
This is what I always say. " Do you know why my house is a mess? BECAUSE PEOPLE LIVE HERE"
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #3626
Chef Extraordinaire
i am so mad i could spit. another cold is settling in my chest. coughing, nose running, no appetite , tired etc.
i am to many things i want to do, to be sick.
hope anger will help it to go away sooner.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #3627
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm sorry babe! That is a miserable feeling. Is it still as hot as it has been? That makes it worse in some ways I think! In case being mad at it doesn't help, I'll pray that you get better soon!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #3628
Master Chef
My baby is leaving today
I know he will be ok and that he will be able to get work there, he's already a phone interview and has one set for wedneday up there. I will miss him terribly though!!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #3629
Executive Chef
Good luck to him. Stay strong Stacy. He won't be gone for ever.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #3630
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
:-) Trish, we only have 4. Tiger, Tilly, Tinker - the ones that drove here with us, and now Pipsy - the little feral kitten who is almost a year old. NO more pets in this house - I've turned down LOTS, I told the girls that this is 4 cats and 3 hermit crabs past my limit. hmm. When they get their own homes, they can have as many pets as they want, but no more will be added here. As long as they've been talking, they all want some kind of work that involves taking care of animals - I suppose it's in their blood. I had pets of just about every kind growing up and loved them to pieces, the girls can't help but want the same. :-)
I've missed talking to you!!

~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
Closed Thread