"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #3671
Executive Chef

because we spend our entire lives hurrying to get nowhere....fast. And if we slow down we are riddled with guilt!

I say stop, smell the roses and enjoy!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #3672
Master Chef

you know, I had a friend and neighbor who could not sit still without feeling gulity---told me so.......even when she sat down at night she always had quilting or sewing in her hands........on the weekends she and her hubby had their "chores".........her house was spotless and her lawn was immaculate.......I never ever.......ever.........saw her rest to smell the flowers...........when her son got married and relatives were in town (they stayed at a hotel) she was out everyday raking leaves before they came over.........in all the 10 years that I knew her only 2 of us actually could get her out to take a leisurely lunch and yet she was antsy to get back home and to her chores.........in the middle of the summer in Houston you'd see her out their limping pushing a lawnmower twice a week in the sauna-heat.........didn't have to........they were more than well-off and trying to save even more and not once did she ever use the dishwasher........her pantry was labeled and alpaphabetized.......OCD??????)obsessive compulsive disorder???? in case she didn't know I was enough of a big mouthed friend to tell her so---she agreed but she reminded me of the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland..........and then sadly she passed away a month back from a massive heart-attack triggered by a stroke.......g-d I could smack her.........mowing that perfect blasted lawn in 100 degree weather at her age and with mild hypertension the day before .........I'm still mad at her ............
Deelady is right..........stop and smell the roses and stop sweating the small stuff......ok, that's enough of a vent for me.......

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #3673
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
ok expat you got me sold, I refuse to mow the lawn!
:)
Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #3674
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
ok expat you got me sold, I refuse to mow the lawn!
:)
seriously............twice a week in 100 degrees with high humidity at her age (58) and with high blood pressure------her husband who did talk to her to no avail is just devastated......now it's just him..........I don't mow the lawn either in this kind of weather, Suzie
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #3675
Master Chef

I have to say that the restaurants in my small town are getting boring. What has become my real pet peeve is the noise level. By that I mean "music". Several times in recent months I've gone to the owner or manager and asked them this: Do you see the people in this room? Have you noticed that I (at age 53) am the youngest person in your restaurant? So why can I not even speak over the "music" that your twenty-something bartender loaded in the juke box? Do you even care? I've several places I do not go to any more because of the noise level.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #3676
Master Chef

By the way, cancer isn't a minor problem. Too loud music is a P-in-the-A, but my mom lives with cancer every day. I suspect that we will all live with cancer; we're living longer. So are hearts are with you.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #3677
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree about the music Claire. I have had to ask others at the table to repeat themselves because I couldn't hear them over the music. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often. I did ask them to turn down the music in a small restaurant once. It was a boom-box and not piped in. There were only a few people in there, and it was so loud that my friend and I couldn't hear each other. When I asked them to turn it down they did with no complaints.

Barbara
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #3678
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
By the way, cancer isn't a minor problem. Too loud music is a P-in-the-A, but my mom lives with cancer every day. I suspect that we will all live with cancer; we're living longer. So are hearts are with you.
Definitely. My mom's parents both died of cancer, and my prayers are with anyone having to go through it themselves or having to go through it with someone they love.

Barbara
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #3679
Master Chef

IMHO----loud music belongs in clubs and not restaurants........here not only do many restaurants charge for your firstborn but they have TV screens everywhere and we're talking upscale restaurants not family style or Chuck-E-Cheese types and blaring volumes.........they are fascinated by flat screens here..........most are happy to oblige me when I ask them to turn it down and I always follow it with a nice smile (I could care less about the tv's being on) so I'm happy..........
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 AM   #3680
Master Chef

Claire, your mom is very lucky to have you look out for her.........cancer affects the entire family in more ways than one.........just having to watch the person deal and confront the myriad of emotions, treatments, and day to day living can be exhausting.......know we're here for you