"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #361
Chef Extraordinaire

'bug, tell her boys don't respect dumb chicks.

but smart ones get to choose their boys...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #362
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
'bug, tell her boys don't respect dumb chicks.

but smart ones get to choose their boys...
Way to bring it right back to her level bucky. Danged if that aint the truth too! LOL.

Kadesma, it does my heart good to hear about the success stories of mean moms. I have warned my kids that should they stray from the straight and narrow, I am quite willing to attend classes with them, follow them into the bathroom, whatever it takes to keep them safe. Hopefully I won't have to do that though.

Mud, keep us posted on how your struggle is going. We're with you all the way girl!

Constance, I was just looking at my sewing machine yesterday thinking I had to get back at it and make some more shorts...but that foot of snow outside has me thinking...LATER! LOL!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #363
Sous Chef

(((MUDBUG)))) How these girls keeps us from losing our minds all together is a wonder!!! Kiersten refused to work up to her potential in jr high and high school- I never asked for more than that but, I would argue with her constantly for just that and granted it DID NOT come easy to her-she had to work really hard just for average.Anyway now that she's a freshman in college- she is doing much better academically and SHE"S even saying she wishes she tried harder in hs. She learned her own lesson. It's tough watching them thinking they no everything and we know nothing and it's even harder winning "The worst Mother in the World award" every week.Just hang in there and know YOU are not alone!!!
Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #364
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
David hated school from the first day of kindergarten. Really hated it. We had home work fights every night. Big bad yelling matches. It got to the point where I'd sit him on my lap and we'd both hold the pencil and some how we'd get part of the home work done. We'd never have time to do it all and his grade really suffered. Finally I said FINE.. I give up. Do what you want.
You want to fail... fail... you want to do good... do good.

That was in 8th grade.
The fights ended, the stress went down, he was happier, I was happier and though his grades were never GREAT he didn't fail and when he graduated from highschool he only had 2 missing papers!
Go figure.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #365
Master Chef

Telling a teen or even preteen girl that "boys won't respect them" is ridiculous. At that age, if they're the kind of girl who wants to be "popular" then "respect" doesn't come into the picture until it is too late. Vigilance is the only thing that works, and that's difficult (you can't be with them 24/7). Three of my friends' kids and one neice all wound up getting GEDs after dropping out, and they're all just making it in life by the skin of their teeth and with a lot of help from their parents and grandparents. I don't know what the answer is any more.

Thank God I was born in a different era, was way too tall, and needed to wear really thick glasses to avoid bumping into doorways. It kept me from aspiring to be popular, and put me firmly in the library -- and the kitchen!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #366
Chef Extraordinaire

claire, of course just saying boys won't respect you is ridiculous.

the second half of my statement to 'bug dealt with the popularity issue.

you can't talk down or oversimplify things with kids, ya gotta talk to them, as if they were almost as smart as you. not that they are, but they are capable of physically doing a lot of adult things.
and kids think a mile a minute, especially when plotting against your wishes, so yo have to cover your bases.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #367
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Ms. Muddy, your problem is International - trust me.

All our kids hated school, jigged class, the whole bit. The louder we yelled the worse it got. With the boys, to at least get them to stay at school entailed a one on one, face to face, quiet but firm discussion on their futures and how academia set the pathway to set goals (certainly NOT in so few words).

Our daughter though was a different matter. After hours of rebutting her smart*rsed responses and keeping my cool, I almost gave up. Remembering that I was a 'feral' who refused to do homework and the things that were going on in my mind back in the 'olden days', I took to the high ground and wxplained to her that at this stage of her life everything was changing at a great rate of knots, the hormone levels in her body were fluctuating and racing around at 100 miles per hour causing mood swings and emotion swings that give her an unfair and restricted outlook on life. It was up to her to overcome these restrictions and control her emotions & thoughts and to listen to the more experienced people around her who were trying to guide and assist her in attaining the best possible outcomes in life.

After I'd finished my speech the only response she could offer was, "I got Rights as well!!" Unfortunately I pretty well lost it at that stage and responded, "Madam you don't have any Rights until you realise your responsibilities, and respect those around you who are trying to help you!! Three R's Madam, showing respect and realising responsibilities you will gain the respect of your peers, responsibility and therefore your Rights will be acknowledged. Until that happens Madam, you have NO Rights whatsoever!!."

Seemed to work at that stage, her work ethic improved and her attitude towards the teachers changed for the better.

Mums & daughters will always be at loggerheads, I was forever stepping between DW & daughter's screaming matches.

It's her turn now, she has a bouncing baby daughter (Skye) who at just over 12 months is showing the same headstrong attitude her Mum did.

I hope I live long enough to step between those two as well.

We all want the best for our children, it is a shame they they don't know it or acknowledge it.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #368
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I'm not saying girls are worse than boys, because my boys is just a toddler now - but girls have horrible hormones and moods. I am a member of the mean mom club. I have been told that I am invading her privacy - which I retored, "You have no privacy, you are 13 years old!"

My problem goes just a tad deeper, my daughter's dad is moving back to the town I live (in another state now). So all I have been hearing now is, "I want to live with dad", "I want to talk to a judge" and blah blah blah.

I am confident this is not going to happen (x has told me there will be no custosdy battle and we will work out a parenting plan together) - however, the words are still hurtful.

Raising a 13-year-old is hard when she is living in two households - one where there are rules and routines, church, chores and no room from poppycock-my house -- and one where she is treated as a little adult - no chores, no routines, given $ for most anything he wants, all the privacy in the world (which includes free reign to watch all the crap on tv, listen to all the vulgar music, computer my space, emails, etc.)

I think we should start a new thread for all us mean moms, I'm thinking I am gonna need alot of support after he moves here - which is in two weeks. .
Old 03-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #369
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I must say, this has been a quite and peafeful day until about 2 hrs ago..I was looking at the computer, I hear yelling and laughing and it's coming from the side of my home where the pasture starts..I go out the front door and in the pasture are 3 boys about 16 or so, waving and yelling and laughing at the brahma bull and several heifers in the pasture..Good old ORNERY Bubba is pawing the ground and snorting and making low noises..I yell at the kids to get out of their and I get a nasty reply and a salute..So, I came in and called the Sheriffs department, all the time praying the bull behaves and the kids get out. I hung up the phone and then I hear, thud thud thud against the security door..Seem they had a bunch of eggs and rotton veggies and were pelting the door with them..Mad, steam coming out my ears,you bet..This seemed to go on forever. Then here comes the sheriff..He nabbed two one took off..after putting them into the car, he came and said to just leave the mess, he knew several boys who were going to do some house repair tomorrow This I've got to see..Would I like to smack these kids? You bet, If they were mine they would not only clean, they would have at least5 hours or more time to give to anyone they did this too..Plus, their fancy large hummer would not be theirs anymore..Can you just imagine if one of them had been hurt out there. That bull is huge and even my DH makes sure he is locked into another pasture when he has to irrigate..Wonder if this mess will be cleaned by the kids or if mommy and daddy will get someone to clean up for them?? Right now I'm still very angry at such nonsense, but also, kind of shaking thinking about what would have happened had I not locked the doors and turned on the alarm...

kadesma
Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #370
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You should be mad! Really Really mad.