"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #3731
Certified Cake Maniac

Katie, take care of those hands! I agree you should get some antibiotic ointment on them and maybe if you have to work can you where gloves?

Stacy, I am so sorry about the news regarding your son. It sounded like he was doing very well and this certainly wasn't his fault.

You are both in my prayers.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #3732
Master Chef

Katie, I'm going to assume that you are up on your shots????? Tetanus comes to mind.............otherwise get thyself to the Dr. on Monday........you have a 3 days grace period...........hey, take it easy girlfriend............we all think about you and you're in our thoughts.......let us know how you are getting along in you ggidap............

Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #3733
Chef Extraordinaire

arrgh- woes with handy man again. he just can't be on time. didn't show til two today. is putting bead board in bathroom. told him only til 730 then he has to leave. the hammering is driving me nuts. my sunday is ruined. yesterday he sawed all day. will i never learn. at least this time i haven't paid him.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #3734
Master Chef

Mikki, I've learned over the years to keep my mouth shut when it is issues with friends. However, with my own spouse I've learned that what I shut up about today, I will pay for tomorrow. So it is best to have it out now, because if you (or he) let it simmer for a week or a month, it will not get better, it will get worse.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #3735
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks everyone. Hands are feeling much better. Not looking too great, and hurt much less than they did. Going to try to be easy on them tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #3736
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Mikki, I've learned over the years to keep my mouth shut when it is issues with friends. However, with my own spouse I've learned that what I shut up about today, I will pay for tomorrow. So it is best to have it out now, because if you (or he) let it simmer for a week or a month, it will not get better, it will get worse.
This is so true, Claire. No matter how much you try to ignore or forget, things do keep simmering and they will eventually boil over. Also, if you deal with things honestly before you've been stewing over them for weeks or months, it's easier to be kind when telling your spouse something that will hurt or disappoint them. You know, there are ways and ways to be honest and some of them aren't so nice.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #3737
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, everything has been going "swimmingly" and now we are ankle deep in water due to an unknown sewer problem who knows where.

I had to almost drag our strata manager over here to see that it "wasn't" an in-house problem. Our next door neighbour was having it too and then when the manager did come, he saw that all four lower suites have the problem. He checked all the upper suites but it isn't there. He didn't phone the city to see if they had a problem and now we don't know where he is.

DH has been working non stop using a small shop vac and small carpet cleaner (green machine) to try and get a handle on it. I am helping as much as I can which is very little.

So, no we have no running water, and water all over the place. We had to barracade the dogs in the bedroom and we don't know if anything will be done before morning.

Update: the water was contained to the two bathrooms and our storeroom which has a drain. It is now sort of under control, but our carpets did get some soaking and we have storage stuff all over the living room.

We have had no supper and are not sure when or what we will get.

Sorry, just needed to scream and didn't want to do it in front of DH because he is working so hard.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3738
Chef Extraordinaire

oh dear, i'll bet it is a mess. i once had a toilet that overflowed. was flushed before we went out. good thing husband went right back after he drove me to work. it had already flooded the apartment soaking the carpet . it was leaking through
to the apartment below us and coming in round their lights over sink.

it took a week , with lots of fans to dry out the carpet, then they still had to replace it.

amazing how fast water goes everywhere. hope it gets cleaned up soon.

babe
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #3739
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Babe.

We just found out that they don't believe it is a City problem and so they are shutting off all the water in the building (12 suites) until morning and will "deal with it then". They say ours is the worst hit, but I really don't think he realizes just how bad it is in here...and he has been in four times!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #3740
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That's horrible Laurie. I hope everything is resolved very very soon.

Barbara