"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #3741
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Barbara.

IT is almost 11:00 here now and we finally have the flooding contained and most of the water baled. The carpets leading to the two bathrooms and the storage room are soaked and it even seaped under the wall into our living room. The ensuite actually seeped through the carpet into our bedroom as well. Both bathtubs backed up to about a foot high and then that was draining back out and coming up around through the toilets.

Sorry to be so graphic but man, this is just insane. The other three suites were hit but not as bad as us. They have shut all the water off in the building but if someone forgets and flushes a toilet it can all start over.

We are exhausted, but GIG and we know that it will all work out. Tomorrow I have to get on the strata office and make sure that the building insurance will cover all the damage so we don't have to use ours. Some friends who also own here said that they had a flood a few years ago and it was the fault of a pipe in the wall and it took some doing, but they got the building to cover it all - new carpets, repaired plumbing, repaired wall, etc.

I just wish I could do more to help DH out on all this. As it is, I am walking way too much without my cane but I have been trying to help out where I can.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #3742
Chef Extraordinaire

Laurie,
don't try to do so much..DH has his hands full as it is and this way he won't have to care for you if you relapse..Be careful please...I'm so sorry about this, it must be awful for the two of you..You have my prayers for help and that things will be taken care of for you. Please get some rest soon..Prayers coming
kades

Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #3743
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Kades. I am being careful. I am also going to make sure I go to physio tomorrow no matter what. I know I am no good to anyone, specially DH if I hurt myself. It is just frustrating, but at least I can make the phone calls....and hot chocolate! Again, thanks for the prayers, they are very much appreciated. We should be able to go to bed very soon.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #3744
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Barbara.

IT is almost 11:00 here now and we finally have the flooding contained and most of the water baled. The carpets leading to the two bathrooms and the storage room are soaked and it even seaped under the wall into our living room. The ensuite actually seeped through the carpet into our bedroom as well. Both bathtubs backed up to about a foot high and then that was draining back out and coming up around through the toilets.

Sorry to be so graphic but man, this is just insane. The other three suites were hit but not as bad as us. They have shut all the water off in the building but if someone forgets and flushes a toilet it can all start over.

We are exhausted, but GIG and we know that it will all work out. Tomorrow I have to get on the strata office and make sure that the building insurance will cover all the damage so we don't have to use ours. Some friends who also own here said that they had a flood a few years ago and it was the fault of a pipe in the wall and it took some doing, but they got the building to cover it all - new carpets, repaired plumbing, repaired wall, etc.

I just wish I could do more to help DH out on all this. As it is, I am walking way too much without my cane but I have been trying to help out where I can.
Is it possible to relocate to a local motel or hotel for a day or two, Laurie? Sometimes if you can get away from the disaster it's easier to deal with it........please don't overdo it........otherwise your DH is going to be taking care of you and the house and double his workload............

My hopes for a speedy conclusion to such an unfortunate event.........been there and done that...........hang in there
Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #3745
Master Chef

Jeez Laurie! I'm sorry you are going through, yet one more thing. Don't do too much though. It's not worth hurting yourself all over again.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #3746
Executive Chef

Just learning in the middle of the night of your situation, I know you have your hands full.
Take it slow and easy. Come here to vent, but know all will work out. Just keep on those who make the decisions. Don't settle for NO.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #3747
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Laurie.... Oh my goodness!!!!

Hope things are drying up nicely. Did you get the insurance all worked out? What a pain in the butt!!

Any news on the job interviews for hubby?

smiles, Trish
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #3748
Master Chef

I had to throw out some freezer burned foods... hubby hates waste too, but he goes to the extreme.. goes in the trash to see what I threw out , and said he didn't care if it has freezer burn. He tried to eat deli turkey breast, and found out what I said was true... freezer burn food tastes horrible. He wants me to cook some stew meat I threw out , to give to the dog.. I am not giving the dog bad food , but I will try to cut out all the freezer burn area I can see on the meat before cooking, that is , if I can salvage it.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #3749
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I had to throw out some freezer burned foods... hubby hates waste too, but he goes to the extreme.. goes in the trash to see what I threw out , and said he didn't care if it has freezer burn. He tried to eat deli turkey breast, and found out what I said was true... freezer burn food tastes horrible. He wants me to cook some stew meat I threw out , to give to the dog.. I am not giving the dog bad food , but I will try to cut out all the freezer burn area I can see on the meat before cooking, that is , if I can salvage it.
oh, my, Girlfriend, you throw stuff away when they're on the toilet and the garbage men are outside the door...........I made the mistake of throwing away my hubby's roach killer cowboy boots ........they were the ugliest things alive that his father talked him into buying and he never wore them.........roaches fled away when they saw him coming the first and last time..........all they were doing were taking up space in the closet............he just tore thru the garbage pulling all kinds of useless stuff that he hadn't worn since Leave it to Beaver days..........that's okay when he went to Egypt I did another sweep of still unworn stuff 8 years later...........not one word was ever said.......he had no time on his hands anymore.........

can your hubby make the dog food per your instructions with the stipulation he cleans up the kitchen afterwards? My poor outdoor cats in Cairo probably would have eaten it raw but as I was feeding about 10 I'd feed them meat a couple of times a week and then supplement with lentils.......vet said that as long as I added some fish juice they would be fine nutritionally and she gave me vitamins to supplement as well........

I feel your pain in this regard............
Old 11-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #3750
Senior Cook

Can I please ask for some prayers. I'm having a really hard time right now. The guilt is just eating me alive. I don't want to make this too long and bore everyone but I probably will. I haven't slept in two days and my mind is just racing.
My mom is in an asst' living facility since January. She's got dementia, diabetes and is wheelchair bound. Up to that point she was doing well living in her own place. We found out she had colon cancer and had surgery to remove it. No chemo or radiation needed. After the surgery she went down hill and the dementia started. We found out at that time she also had a spot on her lung. The oncologist said it was slow growing and probably wouldn't change for years. I made the decision not to do anything because it would not improve her quality of life.
Fast forward to now. She's been fighting a uti for the past couple weeks and has her really out of it. I've spent the past two nights at the ER with her. Draining to say the least. She went back to the ER today and they took x-rays of her chest and stomach to see if there were other problems. The lung cancer has grown. They showed us the x-rays and there is also another spot in another area. Her oncologist will be looking at the x-rays tomorrow (Saturday) and let us know what to expect and if there is a time frame. I am so scared right now. I feel so alone. My dh and ds are a great support as is my older brother except he lives in St. Louis. My two younger brothers are no help at all (they also live out of town).
I want to believe that the choices I've made for her were the right ones yet I can't get over the guilt. This is like deja vu right now as my Dad died from pancreatic cancer in 83. I just don't know how I'm going to get through this. Also my grandmother just passed away in June and with the holidays coming up I feel like I'm going to crack!!
I would just like to ask for prayers for my dear mom because I love her so much!
Sorry this got so long, I just needed to let it out.

Barb