"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #371
Master Chef

A lot of people tell me girls are harder than boys (I have no children, but come from a large family). I'm curious as to what you all say. I think the only reason girls are harder is because they actually get pregnant. Looking at sibs and friends, I think they simply let boys get away with more. Among my friends, I also find that their girls are still, in this day and age, encouraged to be pretty and popular, not smart (this isn't a reflection on what anyone has written in, just an observation of my acquaintances. I swear they'd rather their daughter was a cheerleader than if she wins the science or foreign language fair). At the ripe old age of 50, I'm discouraged at how girls are being raised these days. Might as well be 1950.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #372
Executive Chef

We had one of each and I don't know that one was harder or easier than the other. During teenage years, they both had minds of their own and took a little curbing to make them understand that they were not royalty. They were both good kids and didn't give us trouble, never got into trouble themselves, but had we not had the talks as soon as we saw changes arise, it could have been different. I certainly don't think many kids are being raised right now. Many parents seem afraid to speak up about how their kids act, how they dress, almost like the kids take over and the parents just pay the bills. It makes me wonder what kind of life those kids will have when they are grown up.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #373
Chef Extraordinaire

buckytom - I tried that on her about her guitar. Boys would come flocking to a chick who had some chops. She quit lessons anyway.

Brooksy, you're right. The old heifer and the young heifer are bound to butt heads. Same for the bulls. It's in the DNA, and we just have to live thru it.

kadesma, what those moron kids did at your place reinforces my opinion that most children would be vastly improved by being buried at 13 and dug up at 25.

Claire, the double standard still exists, unfortunately. Guess we haven't come a long way baby just yet. IMO (and don't want to sart any wars), "progressive" feminism has resulted in turning out a generation of girls who are just as coarse and mindless as their brothers in many instances.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #374
Master Chef

kadesma, did the little jerks come clean the mess up?? I bet when their parent's found out, they wished the bull had got them. At least, that's what my boys would be thinking!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #375
Chef Extraordinaire

No, DH called and told them to keep those little monsters at home..If they came round here again we would get an attorney..So far all is quiet..
Had my boys pulled that kind of mischief, they would think the army was heaven!

kadesma
Old 03-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #376
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Kadesma, I can see where DH is coming from, but I also don't want to think of you out there cleaning that mess! I am sorry that happened to you. Maybe you should have went out there and, oh I don't know, accidentally kicked open the gate. For sure those boys would not be around again! They would have got what they deserved where the sun doesn't shine (although these days, I think the sun shines everywhere).
Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #377
Master Chef

Kadesma, I think I'd have have gone Granny Clampet and had my shotgun out there (after I called 911). A couple of blasts in the air would have gotten those hooligans' attention.
If the bull went silly and busted out, all the better.

I do not like being afraid in my own home. I have been there, done that...had to have police protection...and it really sucks.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #378
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Kadesma, I can see where DH is coming from, but I also don't want to think of you out there cleaning that mess! I am sorry that happened to you. Maybe you should have went out there and, oh I don't know, accidentally kicked open the gate. For sure those boys would not be around again! They would have got what they deserved where the sun doesn't shine (although these days, I think the sun shines everywhere).
We did'nt do the cleaning, DH had someone come due..Our neighbor a retired undercover police detective, said to wait and send a bill to the parents..That is what we will do.. We have home owners insurance,but the thought of being sued over a thing like this,really makes me nuts. If people can sue over a kid geting hurt on a canal bank that is clearly post no tresspassing and win..Imagine what would happen to us!!! Thanks for thinking of us. Too,bad there are'nt more parents like you.

kadesma
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #379
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Kadesma, I think I'd have have gone Granny Clampet and had my shotgun out there (after I called 911). A couple of blasts in the air would have gotten those hooligans' attention.
If the bull went silly and busted out, all the better.

I do not like being afraid in my own home. I have been there, done that...had to have police protection...and it really sucks.
Neither do I Connie, but had I used DH's shotgun, I'd have been on my fanny for sure. That thing kicks like a mule And the thought of trying to round up ol Bubba alone, uh I don't think so. Had to do that one time with another one who decided to chase me up into the horse trailer..Good thing I was younger I hate being afraid and so far it's been ok except for the time we were notified by the police to lock all doors and not come home the same way everynight and to keep a close eye on the kids. Seems a druggie who robbed us and was caught had his family looking for DH..We spent 6 months looking over our shoulders and that was no fun..It was terrifying.We do have a shotgun and a pistol, which is usless in my mind..but having the kids here we keep the gun up in the garage and the ammo is hidden in the attic..Kind of silly, but, I can' take a chance one of the kids might find anything.. We, have had a quiet day and that is fine for me
Thanks for your concern, I'm going to be very wary from now on..

kadesma
Old 03-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #380
Executive Chef

Oh, these kids are driving me crazy tonight!!! Feel like I need to go outside and scream, then disappear for the night. Aidan has spent the last 2 hours whining and eating dinner! He keeps telling me he wants to eat it but isn't getting any of it in his mouth. He has 10 minutes before I give it to the dog. Callum is doing the nonstop crying thing. dh just left to go to a martial arts class. Early bedtime for Aidan, I think. Wish me luck.

I'm sorry about those boys, kadesma. These punk kids just don't have any respect for anyone! You're so wonderful, and you certainly didn't deserve this.