"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #3851
Head Chef

I just had a pretty bad day at work, starting a half hour into it. It didn't really stop until I got home at 7:30. Hopefully tomorrow is better, but I'm skeptical as it seems to be a long term issue.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #3852
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I have seen far to much illness while caring for my parents. My father had such an ugly death--it was so unfair as he was such a kind, generous and giving person. I hated watching him suffer and now, I am watching a different kind of ugly death. 12 years of caregiving is a verylong long.
Its tough Susan... at least your loved ones do have someone there for them. I have watched so many variations of this with my Grandparents generation and see the toll it takes/took on my parents.... It is hard for me to think about them being in that situation because they are still so youthful and are the people I rely on for support. To turn the tables will be a tough one. I hope I am patient as they are. My surviving grandmother basically exerts a reign of terror over her childen totally unintentionally but they all constantly scrable to take care of her every need and she just does not see it. She is the opposite of your situation... she is alert and sharp but physically unable to do things so she is angry and thus mean.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #3853
Assistant Cook

I'm staying with my dad and step mother for Thanksgiving. All the rest of the attendees will be my step mother's family... it is going to be awkward, and I'm afraid I'll screw up my stuffing. I didn't bring enough medication for this!!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #3854
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_misanthropy View Post
I'm staying with my dad and step mother for Thanksgiving. All the rest of the attendees will be my step mother's family... it is going to be awkward, and I'm afraid I'll screw up my stuffing. I didn't bring enough medication for this!!
You could put it in the stuffing! J/K! I hope all goes well!

Barbara
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #3855
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I have had a weepy day--all my mom wanted to do was sleep during my visit. It is so hard to deal with dementia.
Oh Susan, I'm so sorry! I hate what this does to families. I'll be bringing my mom here for dinner, but she doesn't enjoy it very much any more. She doesn't like being out of her routine at the home. It is so sad!
Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you......

Barb
Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #3856
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I just had a pretty bad day at work, starting a half hour into it. It didn't really stop until I got home at 7:30. Hopefully tomorrow is better, but I'm skeptical as it seems to be a long term issue.
Saph, I know you are already at work (and well into your day) today, but when you get this know that I have had you in my thoughts and hoping that things will get easier. Just think of all the good things happening in your life right now and that will help.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #3857
Senior Cook

wishing you all blessings today. missing my parents and the family we once were... this our "new" normal - spending the day with friends and we are grateful for them. Treasure your precious memories. Today may not be what you wanted it to be, but its what you make of it that counts. (((hugs))) to you all, friends.

And tomorrow - is a new day.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #3858
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
wishing you all blessings today. missing my parents and the family we once were... this our "new" normal - spending the day with friends and we are grateful for them. Treasure your precious memories. Today may not be what you wanted it to be, but its what you make of it that counts. (((hugs))) to you all, friends.

And tomorrow - is a new day.
scoobagirl, I couldn't have said it better! Hugs to you on this Thanksgiving day.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #3859
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i fell on a sidewalk. ouch!!! my knee smarts!!
i was kinda embarrassed...

i fell stepping off the curb at the mall. and i know how u felt. embrassed me as well. and so did all the attention resulting from it.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #3860
Master Chef

Going to my nieces house, following mapquest directions. One of the main roads that we were suppose to turn at the intersection, did not have signs, so, kept going. Sadly, thank you TXDOT, there was a one vehicle accident one road up, about 7 cop cars, we think maybe it was a chase that ended there. The van was on it's side, tilted just enough that you could see the driver window and the drivers head laying there. He had died. I cannot get that out of my head. I'm so sad to know that this man died like that and on Thanksgiving. My nephew had gone to the store and by the time he saw it, they had cut the top off and there was 2 people draped, so, 2 people died. We had gone about 10 miles before turning around to find my niece's house and they had the road completely shut off then, thankfully. sorry, it's a downer, but, I needed it out. I'm so sad for them.